PDA

View Full Version : How not to pass

LQ3
Tue Jul 29th, 2008, 01:56 PM
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/PMP-how-not-to-pass_174388.htm

I had a close call yesterday at PMP, on the open track day. I go into turn one go a little wide but turn two almost lost the front when I had to get on the brakes from nubnut cutting me off.

Aracheon
Tue Jul 29th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Whoa. Who was that?!

pilot
Tue Jul 29th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Rossi for the win!

dragos13
Tue Jul 29th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Actually looks like a decent pass to me. I understand its practice and all but it was clean.

Had you just stayed hard on the gas instead of letting off when you got past, you probably could have gotten him back into 3. It appears he had to run a little deep to get past you so his drive out was wider and slower then your original line. Next time stay on your mark and pass them back.

TopTier
Tue Jul 29th, 2008, 04:17 PM
I can't watch the video here at work but if you were on a black R1 I think it was me. I thought that I could get you on the inside but I ended up going a little to hot in the turn and drifted out on you. I waived to say sorry. I know that wasn't the cleanest pass, I guess I had a little to much aggression at that moment. I'm glad that nothing bad happened and apologize

kosh
Tue Jul 29th, 2008, 04:19 PM
ya knwo i got to tell ya even though it might have been close atleast it looked good on the film.

atleast in dirt when we cut each other off its not the end of the day

LQ3
Tue Jul 29th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Hey TopTier yeah it was you. Thanks for the apology. It was just as you came back I had to brake a little and the front did feel good at all I thought it was going to tuck on me. It did make some good film. Iam just happy thats all it was.

Slo
Tue Jul 29th, 2008, 05:43 PM
wow

Brat
Tue Jul 29th, 2008, 05:48 PM
right on, running into him here. good stuff keeping stuff clean afterwards! kudos. looks like ya'll had a nice day for riding! :)

D Berns R6
Tue Jul 29th, 2008, 08:42 PM
I know that's just practice, but welcome to the race track!

Been there with somebody and done that to somebody....

highpsi03
Tue Jul 29th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Damn 150 on the straights?

LQ3
Tue Jul 29th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Practice, Practice for a race, well when I start to race I will understand. But for a open track day a little much.

cromer611
Wed Jul 30th, 2008, 02:42 AM
that was awesome. reminds me of SEGA Road Rash!!!! +1 dragos, you shoulda show him the front wheel in turn three. maybe a metal pipe? chain? Baseball bat? nah nah j/k but was pretty clean pass, a bit agressive for a track day but meh *shrug*.

cromer611
Wed Jul 30th, 2008, 02:44 AM
hey leo! lemme borrow that camera! : P its so smooth... crisp sound even. I wryckie

hcr25
Wed Jul 30th, 2008, 03:12 PM
After watching the video, I dont think it was all that bad of a pass considering a couple of things.

Your line into turn one would make it hard to pass in that turn. You entered the turn a foot or so off of the white line and then drifted wide. This would make it very hard to pass on the outside of you.

Your line going into turn 2 was wide. Basically you turned in late to be on the race line.If a rider behind you is carrying more corner speed and on the race line going into turn 2 his line would maybe 1 to 2 feet off the inside edge of turn 2.
In my opinion jon was carrying alot more corner speed into turn 2 then you and since you were off the race line going into turn 2 it was an ok pass. It might have been closer then you would have liked but on track days sometimes that happens,
Please dont take offense this just my opinion.
mike

dallas
Wed Jul 30th, 2008, 03:40 PM
[Days of Thunder]Rubbing is racing......[/Days of Thunder]

Sortarican
Wed Jul 30th, 2008, 03:50 PM
After watching the video, I dont think it was all that bad of a pass considering a couple of things....

His line on #1 was definitely inside (probably from the pass late in the straight), but I didn't think his line on #2 was all that far off.
Maybe outside a little yeah, but not excessively.
Though not being a racer or very fast myself, I could be wrong. I know Mike is a much more experienced rider than I am.

I also think this pass depends a lot on the session they were running in.
If that was the intermediate session it was a little too aggressive, advanced session....probably not so much.
And in the pre-ride talk that morning the point was stressed that this wasn't a race.

I was cornering #7 and there was an advanced session in the early afternoon that found the the 5 fastest riders overtaking a group of 6 or so between 6B and 7.
It was as dramatic a set of passes as I've ever seen, even on a race weekend.
Thought for sure someone was going to go down, but everyone handled it really well.

All that being said, as far as I've heard afterward none of the get-offs were caused by contact, so I guess even the aggresive riders kept it under control.

dragos13
Wed Jul 30th, 2008, 04:18 PM
I was cornering #7 and there was an advanced session in the early afternoon that found the the 5 fastest riders overtaking a group of 6 or so between 6B and 7.
It was as dramatic a set of passes as I've ever seen, even on a race weekend.
Thought for sure someone was going to go down, but everyone handled it really well.

All that being said, as far as I've heard afterward none of the get-offs were caused by contact, so I guess even the aggresive riders kept it under control.

That was an awesome session. Good work for everyone holding their lines too!

Sortarican
Wed Jul 30th, 2008, 04:28 PM
That was an awesome session. Good work for everyone holding their lines too!

Hell yes it was, I got on the radio and was like:
"Holy Shit! Did you guys see that?!?!?!"

I grabbed my camera next lap but the two groups had seperated by then.
I think this was it (Not sure if I got the lead or second group)
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc107/Sortarican_2112/CSC%20Track%20Day%20July%202008/IMG_0023.jpg?t=1217456832

hcr25
Wed Jul 30th, 2008, 04:32 PM
In the end it is a open track day, which is not always the best for everyone involved because of skill level and speed. If you are the very slowest of the slow,medium or fast group you could still experiance a pass like this. On the other side of things if you are the fastest of which ever group and you come up on a slower guy in your group, you might make a pass like this.

Sometimes its best to wait for a safer oppurtuniy to pass, like a straight. Then again if the guy you are trying to get around is on a 1000cc bike and you are on a 600, a more aggressive and hopefully safe pass must be made.

The hard thing is your opinion of a safe pass might be much different from someone with way less or way more exerience.

mike

TopTier
Wed Jul 30th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Sometimes its best to wait for a safer oppurtuniy to pass, like a straight. Then again if the guy you are trying to get around is on a 1000cc bike and you are on a 600, a more aggressive and hopefully safe pass must be made.

mike
That's exactly what I was thinking at the moment