PDA

View Full Version : Where to start?

Rednarb
Thu Jul 31st, 2008, 08:27 AM
My kids recently got to ride ATVs for the first time and loved it. I've always loved ATV riding but never had the fortune to go that path. Besides, where I lived up until almost 2 years ago, there was no public land to ride on. If you wanted to go off-road you either owned some land or knew someone who did.

So if I wanted to get started with off-road ATV'ing, where do I start? At a minimum I'd need an adult-sized atv and one smaller one. My kids are 10 and 8. I got a bazillion questions:

What kind of safety gear would you consider a minimum for a child?
How about for an adult?
What makes/models are "the good ones"?
Should I avoid or seek older models?
Do I want the more traditional utility-style atv or one that looks just to be just entertainment with massive articulation and clearance?
2wd or 4wd?
How much do they weigh and what kind of trailer would I need?
Where to ride?
Where do you store them (and how much do you pay) when you're not riding?

I'm not looking for speed, just for some hassle-free off-road entertainment for the family.

Thanks in advance!

Buddau
Thu Jul 31st, 2008, 07:24 PM
Minumum saftey gear for the kids would be helmet, googles, boots, and gloves.

I don't know too much about 4 wheelers, but I do have a few tips. Buy late model used ones. Stick with the big names, Honda, Kawasaki, etc, don't get a cheap imitation. Craig's list has some up for sale now. The children's size ATV's never loose their value, if you buy them used. Just don't destroy it.

I started my kids out (on their dirt bikes) at IMI. Once they learned how to handle the bikes, we have been riding the trails.

Oh, and I would recomend buying 3 4 wheelers. 2 for the kids, and a 2 seater for yourself at minumum. Having the kids wait and take turns gets old really fast for them and yourself.

Bueller
Thu Jul 31st, 2008, 07:42 PM
Quads suck! Ride 2 wheels.

DavidofColorado
Thu Jul 31st, 2008, 08:28 PM
Your such a cool dad!! Good luck, I have no advice to give. But I have always liked the ATV's with push-button and pull starters.

Buddau
Sat Aug 2nd, 2008, 03:00 PM
Quads suck! Ride 2 wheels.

+1 If the boys can ride bicycles, they can ride motorcycles. Motorcycles also require smaller trailers, and are easier to manuver.

txrc51fatboy
Sat Aug 2nd, 2008, 07:05 PM
minimum gear for a kid is helmet, boots, jersey, pants, boots, gloves and neck brace.

txrc51fatboy
Sat Aug 2nd, 2008, 07:35 PM
as far as ATVs, you cannot go wrong with anything honda makes.

2wd or 4wd depends on how you plan to ride and where you plan to ride.

Toxicgirl
Mon Aug 4th, 2008, 06:48 AM
I agree two wheels are good for kids, ATVs can be dangerous.
I would start them slow, LOL and yourself too! I just went to rampart yesterday for the first time and took my boy to the intermediate trail! OMG NOOOOOOOO!!!!! I thought we were both gonna die. Bad mistake. We are both beginners and that was WAY to much for us. :(
Watkins would be a good place to start.

Toxicgirl
Mon Aug 4th, 2008, 06:49 AM
What size are your kids? We have some donation gear left we may be able to donate to your kids.

CHRISTIAN COWBOY
Mon Aug 4th, 2008, 07:19 AM
A good idea on buying something for all. A family that rides together, stays together!!
We started off with Honda's as they are pretty reliable.
Full gear, all the time, it's not a matter of IF you will crash, but WHEN!!
Rockymountainatv.com is a great place for gear, as well as motosport.com. both have great clearance sections.

Toxicgirl
Mon Aug 4th, 2008, 07:22 AM
Hey you, seen you at the BBQ but you were gone before I could come say hello!
I just heard about Rockymountainatv, about their clearance stuff too! I need to check them out.

A good idea on buying something for all. A family that rides together, stays together!!
We started off with Honda's as they are pretty reliable.
Full gear, all the time, it's not a matter of IF you will crash, but WHEN!!
Rockymountainatv.com is a great place for gear, as well as motosport.com. both have great clearance sections.

RocketBabe923
Mon Aug 4th, 2008, 08:42 AM
I also agree that quads can get you hurt very quickly. I'd recommend bikes.

Honda 50's last forever and hold their value like no other bike. And you can put training wheels on them and the throttle can be controlled/limited. They use less trailer space and the biggest thing I think is that you can ride them in more places. Most of the tracks will no longer allow quads.

As fas as gear goes. What are your kids worth? I'd look on craigslist for about everything except a helmet. Helmets are critical and should be new and well taken care of, one good get off = new helmet.

My son is the youngest Pro Motocrosser in the state. He has ridden bikes since he was 4 by himself. He now gives lessons and is in the top 10 in the Pro classes here in the state. There is not one piece of equipment he does not wear. The new Leatt neck brace probably saved his life. I can't say enough for protective gear. He has 2 sets of $600 astrik knee braces, 2 leatt neck braces and always a spare brand new helmet.

Best of luck! It is a great family sport.

Toxicgirl
Mon Aug 4th, 2008, 08:48 AM
My son is the youngest Pro Motocrosser in the state. He has ridden bikes since he was 4 by himself. He now gives lessons and is in the top 10 in the Pro classes here in the state. There is not one piece of equipment he does not wear. The new Leatt neck brace probably saved his life. I can't say enough for protective gear. He has 2 sets of $600 astrik knee braces, 2 leatt neck braces and always a spare brand new helmet.

Best of luck! It is a great family sport.

Lessons? Can you recomend a good place for a 9 year old to take lessons?

RocketBabe923
Mon Aug 4th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Lessons? Can you recomend a good place for a 9 year old to take lessons?

There is one guy up by you that does them, but I highly do NOT recommend him... especially for a beginner. The price is outragous and mostly he just talks about himself the whole time.

Aztec Family Raceway used to do some free lessons, but I don't think they do anymore. (I'll have to talk to Byron about that.)

Feel free to contact me if you are down here in the Area of Peyton, CO. We have a mx track.... and are always willing to help out. :)

kosh
Mon Aug 4th, 2008, 04:42 PM
i think they are still doin the free lessons on 1st and 3rd saturday in the morning i havent been to aztec in soooo long though

FZRguy
Sun Aug 10th, 2008, 08:15 PM
+1 on bikes vs. quads. Yamaha makes a variety of kid bikes.

CHRISTIAN COWBOY
Mon Aug 11th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Hey you, seen you at the BBQ but you were gone before I could come say hello!
I just heard about Rockymountainatv, about their clearance stuff too! I need to check them out.

sorry I had to leave early to attend a wedding.
See you at Boston's Pizza again? :yumyum: