PDA

View Full Version : False neutral

Cars-R-Coffins
Mon Aug 4th, 2008, 03:39 AM
Looking for the best technique if you're going into a turn fairly hot and you get a false neutral. What's the safest thing to do?

asp_125
Mon Aug 4th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Whenever I find a false neutral, shift back up. Lugging the motor is preferable to a sudden decelleration on the downshift.

Spiderman
Mon Aug 4th, 2008, 09:20 AM
:imwithstupid:

I caught a false neutral going into T1 in Pueblo a couple of years ago (at least I think it was a false neutral! :shock: ). I banged it down into the next higher gear, but apparently I WAS in neutral, cuz a corner-worker told me the rear started chattering... so there I was - trying to go into T1 at over 100 mph in 2nd (instead of 3rd). Apparently I almost had it saved, but not quite - I ended up with a concussion and a broken shoulder blade. :|

But I would also like to add, and this may be a little old-school (pre-slipper clutch mentality) you shouldn't be downshifting into 1st when you're riding hard (coming into a corner "hot" should never be an issue on 1st gear corner, especially on the street IMHO... "1st gear corner" even sounds weird to me!). One racer I spoke to a couple of years ago said there were too many chances of catching neutral like that, so the gearing would be adjusted accordingly. Now, with taller 1st gears and slipper clutches, downshifting into 1st might be a more desirable option, especially if you're running your streetbike on the track and don't have the luxury of having different rear sprockets at hand. :dunno:

By the way, if you're shifting from 2nd to 1st, it wouldn't be a FALSE neutral, it would just be nuetral. A false neutral would be between any two OTHER gears. ;)

prius
Tue Aug 26th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Guys, would a slipper clutch save from all this? :)

rybo
Wed Aug 27th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Guys, would a slipper clutch save from all this? :)

No...it may have made the re-entry to being in gear a little softer, but wouldn't prevent the false neutral to begin with.

FWIW - I never use first gear on the track except for at the start of a race. It's one of the longest throws in the gearbox (requires the most lever travel to get to) has the biggest ratio jump in the gearbox and has the distinct possibility of missing the gear and getting neutral. I've talked with several really fast guys about this, and they all say the same thing...no first gear on the track.

I've had two false neutral events this year on the racebike. One going into turn 4 at hastings, a really fast 90 right hander. There I pulled in the clutch, coasted through the corner then caught the upshift back into gear and continued on. It was a little ugly, and the motor lugged a little as I got back going, but I didn't fall down and managed to finish 3rd in the race.

The other was the last time at Pueblo, where I caught false neutral going into turn 7. I use engine braking there a lot to get the bike speed set for the corner, so I ended up with way more speed going into the corner than I could have managed, so I went off roading and lost many positions. Again, I managed not to fall down, but this one cost me quite a bit more in terms of position and contingency money.

The slipper clutch is a great tool, allowing multiple downshifts into fast corners. Now that I have one on the racebike I'll never go back. it's truely an amazing tool, but it will never prevent rider error.

Both times I hit false neutral it was totally my fault. Turn 4 at hastings I was making a couple of passes and hurried through my downshifts. Turn 7 at Pueblo I had a comfortable gap and was getting a little lazy. Lesson...do it the same every time. Doesn't matter what the situation is, hit your marks, make your shifts and do it assertively.

See you at the track!

Scott

prius
Wed Aug 27th, 2008, 11:38 AM
See you at the track!

Scott

:yumyum: