PDA

View Full Version : Kids new to riding???

Toxicgirl
Mon Aug 4th, 2008, 07:15 AM
I recently got my boy into riding dirt. We had a bad experience at Rampart yesterday, our own fault! Looks super fun if you are experienced.
Anyone have any suggestions for training class, etc for my son and good starting place for a 9 year old?

suzinpink
Mon Aug 4th, 2008, 03:29 PM
LOL.. I have a 9 year old too. Bought him an eighty and have spent the last year sitting on the back showing him over and over... then letting him take the controls while I was on.... just last month was his first ride solo... and he wrecked when he stopped... bike's a little big. But he got up and wanted back on....so there we go!
I am usung the same method for my 7 year old. I was going to get a 50... but then I wouldn't have been able to ride WITH them til they learned... and then it will take them longer to grow outta it. Your boy should hook up with my 2 and we should take them riding!

vegasbound
Mon Aug 4th, 2008, 03:44 PM
My 6 year old could use some lessons for his 50, lets get a group together.

We've gone to Thunder Valley a couple times, but just does not seem like a good environment for beginners, even the beginner track doesn't seem like a good place to really learn and develop skills for the newb kid.

There is a guy who has some private land that advertises on craigslist, he offers private lessons for around $30 a day on a groomed course on the North East side of town, maybe we could get a few of the kids together and head up for a day.

I think he offers the lessons on Sunday's.

Toxicgirl
Mon Aug 4th, 2008, 04:17 PM
ohh ya! Bring on the little ones! Cute!

I would love to hook up with some more parents and new kid riders! Get them together. I know it would help their frustrations knowing other kids are going through it too.

My son's only rode his 80 a handful of times in a parking lot.
Went to Rapart yesterday and threw him down the mountain. Not funny! Thats what if felt like. I was terrified.

I need to get him on some more flat land before he goes trail riding again.:(

Toxicgirl
Mon Aug 4th, 2008, 04:19 PM
LOL.. I have a 9 year old too. Bought him an eighty and have spent the last year sitting on the back showing him over and over... then letting him take the controls while I was on.... just last month was his first ride solo... and he wrecked when he stopped... bike's a little big. But he got up and wanted back on....so there we go!
I am usung the same method for my 7 year old. I was going to get a 50... but then I wouldn't have been able to ride WITH them til they learned... and then it will take them longer to grow outta it. Your boy should hook up with my 2 and we should take them riding!

Ya ya, lets go riding!
Lessons would be good I think for them both. I think my son gets super nervous when I try to teach him. I think a third party would do better.

txrc51fatboy
Mon Aug 4th, 2008, 09:55 PM
we go out to imi every weekend. lots of room and the majority of the people out there look out for the kiddos.

Toxicgirl
Tue Aug 5th, 2008, 06:59 AM
we go out to imi every weekend. lots of room and the majority of the people out there look out for the kiddos.
I didn't know kids could ride ouot there. Thanks

Toxicgirl
Tue Aug 5th, 2008, 08:33 AM
I know a great kid thats gona show my son how to ride on the 30th. Maybe you can get some private lessons from him as well. He rides Pro and has his own track.

Kim, any suggestions?

RocketBabe923
Tue Aug 5th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Thanks Brandi! :)

We are putting on a small class for beginner riders on August 30th 2008 at our private track in Peyton CO. My son does some private lessons for some of the kids that race motocross in the state and has come up with a class suited for new riders and specifically geared to trail riding and kids.

He is a local Pro and currently in the top 10 in the 125 Pro and Open Pro classes. We have some room available if anyone is interested fell free to PM me or reply here.

We plan to build a small table top jump for the kids who want to try that and are at the level. Some of the topics to be covered are: Gear, Bike set up, body position, Breaking, Corners and general riding techniques in the woods, also anything brought up by the students. The small class allows individual help to each student. Cost is $65 for the whole day, you bring your lunch/drinks. If the rider is very new and for example like a youngster on 50 with training wheels, the cost is half price.

I can also provide more information on my son if you would like, his accomplishments and sponsors etc.

Thanks! :)

MissMandy
Tue Aug 5th, 2008, 08:56 AM
My son and I will be there with the 50 :)

Toxicgirl
Tue Aug 5th, 2008, 09:02 AM
:yay:

My son and I will be there with the 50 :)

H20Joe
Tue Aug 5th, 2008, 09:07 AM
I'm going to give a big recommedation for RocketBabe923 son Kyle........He's a great kid, really easy to talk to and he's not full of himself either. He is a Pro and he is really fast. When I'm at the track I always ask him where the hot lines are and what
he does in different sections, he gives me his tips and I try and follow them, ( sometimes not very well ). I'm always looking to pick up on better ways to improve my speed and Kyle is a big help. If I wanted to introduce or improve riding
skills I would send them to Kyle.......you'll be happy.....he's good with kids and he
helps out us Senior Mxers also.

FZRguy
Sun Aug 10th, 2008, 08:25 PM
There is a peewee track at Watkins. I’d be happy to meet with parents and kiddos for some fun and tips for the kids. I’m no pro but have been riding dirt bikes since the 70’s.

swademaster
Sun Aug 10th, 2008, 08:36 PM
I might bring my 5 year old son down on the 30th. I am planning to get him started riding next weekend. Finally got some training wheels so that he can learn the controls of his CRF50. I don't think they will be on long and he'll be ready to tear it up.

RocketBabe923
Mon Aug 11th, 2008, 08:24 AM
I might bring my 5 year old son down on the 30th. I am planning to get him started riding next weekend. Finally got some training wheels so that he can learn the controls of his CRF50. I don't think they will be on long and he'll be ready to tear it up.

We'd love to have him! Having a small group allowing for individual training along with seeing the other kids at the same level in the group is really good for the younger kids. Also being at a private track where everything is more controlled and there are not others riding by intimidating the little ones seems to work out pretty well too.

Here is an endorsement that Kyle (the Pro instructor) did as an 85cc Advanced rider (Advanced is the highest level they can attain at that age).

http://www.resultone.com/ (Kyle Herman 923)

Here is still one of the most viewed photo's from MonsterMotocross.com that was at age 14 when he first went to the bigger CRF250R, where he won the Winter Combat Series.

http://www.monstermotocross.com/mx-gallery/showphoto.php/photo/417/cat/508

And I have a long list of references and sponsors. :)

BigE
Mon Aug 11th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Sounds like Rocketbabe's got a good kiddo :up:

I would second (or third) about IMI being a good place to start but would avoid weekends if possible. There are some four wheeler guys who like the same big flat areas that are good for the kids and sometimes they get a little close for comfort considering the speed differential.
I'd be up for an IMI day, maybe John and I can work out a day where both of us could be out there?

FZRguy
Mon Aug 11th, 2008, 05:51 PM
IMI is good for me too. The Peyton deal sounds great and maybe we can all get together in Sept.

N1KSS1KS1x
Mon Aug 11th, 2008, 10:26 PM
I'm so down for the 30th my son is 7 and has been riding his 50 for about 2months now and is ready for more instruction so a class with other kids would be great. I don't any other folks with kids that ride so its just been me and my pops corner working for him and teaching things a step at a time. For you Aurora folks we go riding out by the buckly air force base there's a couple good little tracks that arent to scary for the little ones. I plan on taking him out there this week one night and this weekend if any body wants to come.

N1KSS1KS1x
Mon Aug 11th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Wheres Peyton?

RocketBabe923
Tue Aug 12th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Wheres Peyton?

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Peyton&state=CO&country=US&latitude=39.0289&longitude=-104.482498&geocode=CITY

East of Colorado Springs.

:)

Brat
Tue Aug 12th, 2008, 02:03 PM
you make it down here swade hit me up, i ve been meaning to get out there check out the dirt riding. i live close to the track.
Brat

Suki
Tue Aug 12th, 2008, 02:33 PM
we just took my son out to watkins and let him play out on the peewee track, later took him to rampart and then whenever we go camping he brings his bike. kids pick it up quick, just give them the right tools, go over the rules, start off small and he should do fine.

He started on a 80 and now has a klx 110 that he's outgrowing, though he needs more saddle time before i bump him up.

swademaster
Tue Aug 12th, 2008, 05:11 PM
you make it down here swade hit me up, i ve been meaning to get out there check out the dirt riding. i live close to the track.
Brat

I'll let you know if we do.