PDA

View Full Version : thermal/ceramic coaters in CO

phoenixr2
Wed Aug 6th, 2008, 07:18 AM
first off, I am not sure if there is a difference or not? I need to do some more research I guess. but I am curious if anyone knows of a company who could do my header? If not local then who should I ship it to (thermal, jethot, etc)thanks in advance

Tipys
Wed Aug 6th, 2008, 07:21 AM
spending money on the bike agian?

Mort82
Wed Aug 6th, 2008, 07:21 AM
on a motorcycle?

phoenixr2
Wed Aug 6th, 2008, 07:24 AM
tipys- how did you set up your account to give you an email-notification as soon as I make any sort of post?

mort- It is for a motorcycle header yes, but the header is not on the bike because I wanted to get this done.

Tipys
Wed Aug 6th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Its all about timing. If you cant tell by my post count im on here way too much.

salsashark
Wed Aug 6th, 2008, 07:33 AM
I was given these guys by a member on the TriumphRat site. I'm planning on doing my exhaust this winter.

http://www.appliedplastic.com/ceramicexhaust.html

Mort82
Wed Aug 6th, 2008, 07:46 AM
So, ok, what type of gains are there for this ceramic / jet coating on a motorcycle???

Can't you spend your money on better things?

Jim_Vess
Wed Aug 6th, 2008, 04:55 PM
I used Jet-Hot to do the headpipes on my old V Star. The price was around $180 and the turn around was quick.

Supposedly you do gain some performance with the ceramic coating (something about exhaust gases moving faster), but I did it because I wanted black head pipes on the bike. I didn't notice any difference in performance, but the pipes did cool down quicker than chrome headpipes.

The biggest benefit I saw with ceramic coated pipes was that the finish is tough as nails and, since jet-hot coats the inside and outside of the pipe, I doubt they'd ever rust.

phoenixr2
Wed Aug 6th, 2008, 07:04 PM
So, ok, what type of gains are there for this ceramic / jet coating on a motorcycle???

Can't you spend your money on better things?
I'll let the experienced users give you their thoughts.
http://www.jet-hot.com/techinfo.html

There are numerous benefits to coating an exhaust/header. The gains would apply to a motorcycle, as a car, as a snowmobile, as a lawnmower. obviously different benefits and the actual necessity is not so much for other engine powered vehicles.

I guess that's a matter of opinion. If I had to use that justification for every purchase then I would own nothing, do nothing, and probably be nothing, every penny I made would be stacked in a high return fund of sorts so that my money would be better spent. Not sure what your point is exactly with this one?

Mort82
Thu Aug 7th, 2008, 07:59 AM
I'll let the experienced users give you their thoughts.
http://www.jet-hot.com/techinfo.html

There are numerous benefits to coating an exhaust/header. The gains would apply to a motorcycle, as a car, as a snowmobile, as a lawnmower. obviously different benefits and the actual necessity is not so much for other engine powered vehicles.

I guess that's a matter of opinion. If I had to use that justification for every purchase then I would own nothing, do nothing, and probably be nothing, every penny I made would be stacked in a high return fund of sorts so that my money would be better spent. Not sure what your point is exactly with this one?

I know coating a pipe cools better and has better flow. I'm not arguing there.

But on a bike? Really? Number one, sprocket change is the cheapest and biggest gain you can do.

Then, learn how to ride. Very few sportbikes get used to their full potential.

phoenixr2
Thu Aug 7th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Why is it every time that a person asks a parts question someone turns it into a "you should spend your money on learning to ride" thread?

My thread was clearly labeled and the content is direct as to what I am inquiring about. I don't know how asking for a business recommendation infers that I for some reason don't know how to ride.

Back to the the actual thread on topic,

Salsa, thanks for the link, I am checking them out!
Jim, thanks also for your insight on JETHOT, seems like you were a satisfied customer and would not hesitate to recommend them to me.

salsashark
Thu Aug 7th, 2008, 07:01 PM
No worries... if you get it done, post up cause I'm planning on this winter and I'd be interested to see your experiences.

phoenixr2
Thu Aug 7th, 2008, 07:34 PM
I have an email in to them. curious on some of their coatings/temp ratings. Seem very fair on pricing, and a short trip makes them local which is a plus. Will keep you on the update.

I have been running header wrap, looks like its seen better days with all the dirt/wetness it sees when it was daily ridden. rather than re-wrap it so often I figure do it right this time around.

ChrisCBX
Fri Aug 8th, 2008, 08:14 AM
I used Jet Hot for the refinish of my race bike to street bike project.

They were very helpful on the phone and overall, it appears to be a good value for the $.

I've been told by friends that it is a very tough finish. I haven't had the headers on the bike yet but the "Sterling" finish is very nice, almost chrome.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k164/Cbxnut/RaceBikeInProgress1043.jpg

kevplus2
Mon Aug 11th, 2008, 10:22 PM
my experience with jet hot sucked nuts.

two of us sent our tl headers and midpipes in together to save on shipping. mine got the standard sterling treatment and his got the extreme high temp black. all joints were tapped off so they wouldnt get coated

mine came back with a boatload of excess coating in the joints. took all day with a dremel just to get the excess out so the system would go back together. one section also has a small run. luckily it is inside the tls's "basket" so you cannot see it

my friends system came back so warped that even an exhaust shop couldnt fix it. jet hot completely warped every peice of his new yosh tlr system (minus the cans...they obviously didnt get sent in). come to find out, the high temp treatment should not be used for thin wall stainless, or so jet hot now says. took about 2 months before jet hot finally got him for a new system. they admitted fault right away when he complained (didnt stop them from sending him back a screwed up system though), but they screwed around trying to get a dealer account with yosh to save $$ when replacing his system. yosh denied them and then their check bounced. finally, they paid for his new system and had it shipped to him. too bad it took a couple months

i have heard good things about hpc, but i dont think they have a shop locally.

http://www.hpcoatings.com/am/products/products_heat_hipercoat.aspx