PDA

View Full Version : HPR UPDATE!!

The GECCO
Thu Aug 7th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Well, guys and gals, this is the one we have all been waiting for...

August 7, 2008 – HPR What's Happening!

It's been a very, very busy and productive period. There is much to report, but the good news is that construction of High Plains Raceway is now underway!

We'll summarize the events of the past six weeks:

*To investigate cost reduction possibilities, CAMA issued Requests For Proposals to selected contractors for firm bids. The RFP's included a laundry list of alternates, including options to reduce the track width, track length, grading aspects, etc. This was necessary to offset the dramatic price increases for asphalt oil and diesel fuel over the past months.

*The proposal process generated two distinct options: a $3.2 million project for a 2.0 mile track or a $3.6 million project for the full length, 2.55 mile design. After a great deal of consideration, the CAMA reps voted unanimously to go for the full length option. The consensus is that building the "best” circuit will catalyze future improvements and amenities, and that having configuration options will cater to a wide spectrum of uses and revenue opportunities.

*To fund the $3.6 million project required increasing the debt ceiling from $1.6 million to $2.0 million. This change to the release conditions was approved, and the additional funds have been committed. Available funding now exceeds the expected cost to complete the project (based on firm bids), thus satisfying the construction release conditions.

*Construction contracts have been signed. The project has begun!!

All the exciting features of the road course remain intact. In the configuration under contract, we will have a full 2.55 mile, 36 ft. wide road course, a paddock with 40 ft. wide paved asphalt lanes and crushed recycled asphalt in the interior islands where the tow vehicles park. As we have known all along, it has the potential to be one of the most interesting and challenging circuits in the country! At the present level of funding, there is very little in the way of "creature comfort” amenities, but CAMA is keenly aware that everyone wants amenities, not just a bare track and paddock. The question is how to get there? It is clear that the Capital Campaign will have to continue. A continued Capital Campaign has the potential to attract additional funds to provide very adequate amenities. Future donations (personal and corporate) plus some possibly "self-funding” amenities (e.g., garages, RV hookups, and a fuel station) are, we believe, quite achievable over the next year.

On this note, there are still a lot of potential users of HPR who have yet to contribute. Perhaps some have taken a "show me first” attitude, wanting to be sure there will be a facility before donating. CAMA is planning a ground breaking ceremony in the next week or so, and we hope those potential donors will finally be convinced to join their peers who have already contributed.

Yes, HPR will be a reality!! Yes, we need more dollars to make High Plains Raceway the great facility we all want.

Your CAMA Board,

Glenn Conser
Bob Darcey
Walt Fricke
Bill Kephart
Kyle Popejoy
Dirt moving equipment will be on site early next week. I have been put in charge of organizing ground breaking ceremonies, more on that soon.

Aracheon
Thu Aug 7th, 2008, 08:07 PM
YAY! :yay: :yay: :yay:

TopTier
Thu Aug 7th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Awesome, I'm glad to see it getting start

dirkterrell
Thu Aug 7th, 2008, 08:38 PM
It is really good to hear this news, Glenn. It must be a time of incredible satisfaction for you personally, given how much of yourself you have poured into this project. Thank you for your continued efforts to bring us another track and for the time you spend representing the interests of Colorado riders.

Dirk

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Thu Aug 7th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Congrats to you Glenn for your focused efforts as well as to those that have already contributed to what is sure to be a fine track. As you mentioned, maybe some of the "show me first" followers of this will now assist in getting this completed.

Thanks again Glenn!

CBRSue
Thu Aug 7th, 2008, 10:21 PM
SAWEET!!! Thank you for sharing this wonderful news! I am so excited for all the racers and racing fans! :)

Player 2
Thu Aug 7th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Ah Glenn.... this is GREAT news to hear :up: :cheers:

BlueDevil
Fri Aug 8th, 2008, 06:27 AM
I think I just pee'd a little.... tee hee....
Thumbs up Glenn...

lovinCO
Fri Aug 8th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Glenn, congratulations on the culmination of years of work! This track is going to revitalize the MRA. :applause:

dragos13
Fri Aug 8th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Thanks Glenn, I can't wait!

Big props also to the CSC for helping this all come along. Every donating member to HPR should be very proud and excited for the increase in local roadracing.

Sortarican
Fri Aug 8th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Three tracks on the Front Range?

This is like Christmas, New Years, 4th of July, and Prom night with a hot drunk date, all in one.:hump:
(Now all I have to do is learn to race.)

TWISM
Fri Aug 8th, 2008, 09:57 AM
This is great news! I will finally have a track that is about 150 miles from Nebraska. Can't wait to join the crew for a CSC track day!

asp_125
Fri Aug 8th, 2008, 10:40 AM
That's great, looks like racing's coming back to CO in force!

Mother Goose
Fri Aug 8th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Makes me wanna go out and buy a bike. *tear* :lol: This is AWESOME.

pilot
Fri Aug 8th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Something to ponder...had PPIR not closed then HPR would have not been built. I think this is an Illuminati action designed to develop track side condos. I remember when Pat Schroeder and Pena were promoting DIA. Man, that was a good land grab.

All in good fun of course. But I wouldn't complain if there ended up being a few tracks with on-site accommodations for overnighting, temp or perm.

Kudos to all that have been putting the time, effort and money to make these tracks come to life.

The GECCO
Fri Aug 8th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Something to ponder...had PPIR not closed then HPR would have not been built.

Eh, I'm not so sure. If PPIR had stayed open it may have effected fundraising, etc, but the group of people that eventually became CAMA was formed in the summer of 2003, 2 years before PPIR closed. I started working with them in August of 2003 and they had been together for a few months already and were operating under the Colorado Motorsports Council. We saw the closing of SCR coming and knew we needed a replacement...we just didn't think it would take 5 1/2 years.

JustSomeDude
Sun Aug 10th, 2008, 10:42 AM
well, smack my ass and call me sally!

i will admit, during this entire process i was extremely cynical that an ounce of soil would ever have been turned out at the HPR site. now that it obviously will be happening very soon, i will gladly admit i was wrong....

...and happily open up my wallet to support some creature comforts. i admit, i fell into that "show me first" category. i'm just glad to be proven wrong!

:hump:

Nick_Ninja
Sun Aug 10th, 2008, 12:51 PM
HPR will be seeing a whole lot more support from this enthusiast as it seems that the directorship is basically grassroots and their efforts come from the heart ---- and not some money pit that either has to answer to a private corporation or worse yet --- a public traded club driven by pinstripe suits.

Good job to GECCO and crew :up:

The GECCO
Sun Aug 10th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Thanks, guys. Dirt has already started moving, the contractor was on site the day before we actually signed the contract putting up silt fencing and digging a pit to contain water for use during construction. The groundbreaking ceremony will be on Friday, mostly geared towards the print and TV media so we can get the word out even more. Sometime in September, when it's starting to look like a track, we will have a couple groundbreaking "parties" to get the members, donors and potential donors out on the site to generate some excitment. Hopefully this will kick-start the final round of fundraising and generate the dollars needed to add some amenities sooner rather than later.

D Berns R6
Mon Aug 11th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Along with that, what about another CSC vs. MRA fundraising battle?!?!!?

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Mon Aug 11th, 2008, 06:21 PM
http://www.9news.com/sports/article.aspx?storyid=97454&catid=345&GID=0

pilot
Mon Aug 11th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Eh, I'm not so sure. If PPIR had stayed open it may have effected fundraising, etc, but the group of people that eventually became CAMA was formed in the summer of 2003, 2 years before PPIR closed. I started working with them in August of 2003 and they had been together for a few months already and were operating under the Colorado Motorsports Council. We saw the closing of SCR coming and knew we needed a replacement...we just didn't think it would take 5 1/2 years.It was on the money side I was thinking about. Didn't a nice pile of money for the new track come from the sale of PPIR? Sad about Second Creek. I was just out by there the other day and saw the Not In MY Backyard housing district to the northeast. Funny, the same developers built just down the street from IMI but didn't bitch about that place enough to shut it down like what happened to SCR. Again, shame about the Creek.

pilot
Mon Aug 11th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Thanks, guys. Dirt has already started moving, the contractor was on site the day before we actually signed the contract putting up silt fencing and digging a pit to contain water for use during construction. The groundbreaking ceremony will be on Friday, mostly geared towards the print and TV media so we can get the word out even more. Sometime in September, when it's starting to look like a track, we will have a couple groundbreaking "parties" to get the members, donors and potential donors out on the site to generate some excitment. Hopefully this will kick-start the final round of fundraising and generate the dollars needed to add some amenities sooner rather than later.Is this contractor going to be associated with the contractor that repaved IMI? "That" asphalt contractor used substandard materials and is now going to have to do a tear-out and repave at IMI. At least from what I heard.

neh
Mon Aug 11th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Winslow Construction Company and Premier Paving Incorporated have been contracted to construct the facility.

taken from article in above post.

neh
Mon Aug 11th, 2008, 08:32 PM
It was on the money side I was thinking about. Didn't a nice pile of money for the new track come from the sale of PPIR? Sad about Second Creek. I was just out by there the other day and saw the Not In MY Backyard housing district to the northeast. Funny, the same developers built just down the street from IMI but didn't bitch about that place enough to shut it down like what happened to SCR. Again, shame about the Creek.

The "seed" money for HPR came from the closing and selling of the assets, what little there were from 2nd creek. Excess rents which were returned to individual clubs and then in turn reinvested back into CAMA for HPR.

The assets 2nd creek/CMC/CAMA had were the canopy over the consession stand, trailer which i believe went to La Junta, grand stands, and smaller stands some of which went to pueblo.

PPIR had nothing to do with HPR or 2nd creek as far as I know.

I'm sure Gecco has more info than I do.

The GECCO
Mon Aug 11th, 2008, 09:43 PM
^^^
This is accurate, none of the money for HPR came from PPIR in any way.

pilot
Mon Aug 11th, 2008, 10:30 PM
I stand corrected. Damn, I'm going to have to do something about my "private source", ha.