PDA

View Full Version : Need Icon Helmet Info

SVCliff
Fri Aug 8th, 2008, 01:46 PM
How do the Icon helmets compare to the Scorpion helmets as far as durability/crashworthiness goes?

AshliRider44
Fri Aug 8th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Every racer that we know, whom was wearing an Icon helmet during their crash has had horrible concussions. If you want specifics I'd suggest posting this on the Mra Forums. Chris Weed in particular.

SVCliff
Fri Aug 8th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Good enough for me. Sticking to Scorpion. :)

McVaaahhh
Fri Aug 8th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Good enough for me. Sticking to Scorpion. :)

Not good enough. I was recently talked out of Scorpion helmets for the same reason as the Icons.

Go with Shoei, Arai or Suomy.

Rybo or IRDave can give you a bit more info if you'd like.

Nerves
Fri Aug 8th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Im looking at buying an Icon tonight, what is wrong with em? I've never heard anything before???

chad23
Fri Aug 8th, 2008, 05:31 PM
I own one of each....Shit that sucks.
The only advise I have is the Scorpion is a tighter fit than the icon

McVaaahhh
Fri Aug 8th, 2008, 06:35 PM
So basically what I was told is that all the guys that have gotten concussions/head injuries in the MRA this season were riding Scorpion helmets. Something about the shell construction. Not defective or anything, just not as good as other brands.

Bottom line is this:
Both Scorpion and Icon are DOT/Snell whatever approved. They are WAY WAY WAY better than nothing, or your daddies 20 yr/old helmet. With that said, the more expensive (Shoei, Arai, Suomy) brands are just better and offer better protection.

I'm hoping that Scott or Dave will weigh in here soon.

FWIW: I'm riding a Scorpion now and was talking to Scott about new helmets and he said don't buy another one. Of course I'm also thinking about racing next year.

VailCBRider
Fri Aug 8th, 2008, 07:28 PM
I own both and while I've never tested what happens when they hit the pavement I'll tell you that the Icon is WAY louder when riding at 65+ mph. I hate it when I grab the icon and then have to hit the interstate. Soooo much wind noise from the icon, while my scorpion (1000 model) is much quieter.

Hope that helps a lil....

rybo
Fri Aug 8th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Hey all,

So to clear things up-

In a non scientific observation of crashes in the MRA it seems that the helmets that have thermoplastic shells (Icon and scorpion both use this technology) seem to produce a much higher rate of concussion than the helmets that use composite or fiberglass shells (some HJC, all Shoei, Arai and Suomy). Thermoplastic shells are far less expensive to produce than composite ones, and as such those helmets tend to be quite a bit cheaper. Another factor is that these helmets are meeting a price point, so many of them only come in one shell size with the foam and the liner making up the difference. XS to XXL, if you set some of the cheaper helmets next to each other you couldn't tell the difference from the outside, because there isn't any difference. In the case of the more expensive brands there are 3 and sometimes 4 different shell sizes based on the ultimate helmet size. Each size is engineered for the size head it's supposed to fit.

In a personal experience realm - I've crashed three times at the track where the helmet came into play, Twice wearing Shoei's and once wearing a Suomy. In all three cases I was fully awake and alert after the crash.

A lot of the recent lab based data suggests that the thermoplastic helmets offer equal or superior protection to the more expensive constructions, and I don't have any "real world" data other than my own observation to counter their statistics. You can argue that numbers don't lie, and I would have to agree with you. My argument is that it is impossible to accurately reproduce a motorcycle accident in a lab setting to get consistent results.

I'm sticking with what works for me, and that is that I'm willing to spend a little more money for something I've tested and know works. There are additional benefits, such as much improved ventilation and lighter weight that go with spending a little more for your lid.

All that being said, all helmets that are available today are better than anything that was made 10 years ago. Add in that proper fit is the MOST CRITICAL piece of being safe in your helmet. Try on a lot of different brands and models before buying, make sure it fits as snugly as possible without being uncomfortable. Make sure you get something that fits the shape of your head well. Most of all, wear your lid every time you ride.

Scott

motorep
Sat Aug 9th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Icon Alliance helmets do use thermoplastic/polycarbonate shells. Icon Mainframes are fiberglass/Dyneema. Icon Domains and Domain II are Carbon Fiber/Dyneema/aramid. Icon Airframes are Carbon Fiber/Dyneema. They all have dual density liners designed to protect on the little hits as well as the big hits. Noise? Sure, hang a bunch of spoilers and air intakes on the outside of the shell and you're going to get some noise. A Mainframe isn't as loud on my bike as a Quantum or a Spec1R. An Airframe is way quiet. It's developed in a wind tunnel, the vents work real well, and the helmet doesn't push around from wind force when you turn your head. Noise also depends on your bike. Your head is at a different angle and the wind hits your helmet differently depending on what you ride, sportbike or naked bike for example.
As far as one helmet "fitting tighter" than another- different brands are shaped differently, sized differently. So are heads. Mine's round. Ifit Spec1R's/Extremes just right. Icon Airframe is pretty good but it's just a bit more oval.
Buy the best you can, but as important, make sure it fits properly.

my .02 worth....

Sully
Sat Aug 9th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Also, for Suomy helmets, they have different size padding as well, so if/when you're trying them on, ask about it. And since they are a lighter helmet, they are a bit more noisy, but still an awesome helmet imo. Buy what you can/want to afford and what fits you best. :) Remember it's your head and you're only getting one ! ;)

fastergixxer
Sun Aug 24th, 2008, 09:13 PM
had bad luck with icon. one day up at bishops. A friend's wife had her icon helmet on the back of the bike. came back about an hour or so later. the glue in the helmet started to melt, the helmet was falling apart. the f-15 jets on top had fallen off the helmet. It was a lost cause they had to replace it before she could go ride again.

slayermd
Sun Aug 24th, 2008, 11:53 PM
I have an Icon Airframe and I like it. I tried on a bunch of different brands from expensive to cheap. None fit my head like the Icon, so that's what I got. So far so good I guess, haven't really had a chance to test it but I'm fine with that.

highpsi03
Mon Aug 25th, 2008, 12:03 PM
had bad luck with icon. one day up at bishops. A friend's wife had her icon helmet on the back of the bike. came back about an hour or so later. the glue in the helmet started to melt, the helmet was falling apart. the f-15 jets on top had fallen off the helmet. It was a lost cause they had to replace it before she could go ride again.
Shouldn't the helmet have been on her head, not dangling from the bike?

GixxerCarrie
Tue Aug 26th, 2008, 05:55 AM
I have a Scorpion...and it has worked well for me....and yes it fits tight....

200sr20
Tue Aug 26th, 2008, 08:06 AM
I have both an Icon and a Scorpion and I like the way the Icon fits better and it's quieter. As far as the crash test my Icon DFA kept my head and brain in one piece a couple weeks ago.

GLOCKMAN
Fri Sep 19th, 2008, 11:07 PM
I wear an Icon Mainframe and it has been a good helmet as far as fit,air flow,available parts. I really hope I never have to test it out as to how well it protects the head. It is DOT and SNELL approved. I would have liked to have gotten an Arai or a Shoei but the funds just were not there so I will rock the ICON till I can get something better.

Matrix
Fri Sep 19th, 2008, 11:33 PM
I have a Scorpian EXO 1000 that has some pros and cons. I pulled the little visor thing out...It had a tendency to bounce which was pretty distracting. However the Rebok pump thing is pretty cool. I dont use it for normal street riding but when I go to the track its nice to crank it up and make the helmet extra tight.
I have never crashed with it though so I am not able to vouch for how well it holds up to hitting the pavement.

Bueller
Sat Sep 20th, 2008, 06:36 AM
Got knocked out in an Icon and an Arai.
I use Scorpion now, love the no fog shield.