PDA

View Full Version : K&N vs. BMC air filter

PaiN
Fri Aug 8th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Just wondering which air filter to get installed. Any reccomendations?

The_Jackel
Fri Aug 8th, 2008, 02:09 PM
BMC is ther better of the two.. hands down

PaiN
Sat Aug 9th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Ok thanks :)

ihavealegohead
Mon Aug 11th, 2008, 12:16 PM
I was talking to a friend this weekend (races in Europe) and he told me not to waste any money on a filter because it won't improve HP at all over stock. He said I'd be better off taking out the snorkel (????)....(which would be illegal)..

Anyone have any thoughts on the subject?

McVaaahhh
Mon Aug 11th, 2008, 12:30 PM
I've heard many people say there is no advantage to going to a K&N or other aftermarket filter.

I just put new stock filters in my RC51 because everyone on the RC51 forums said not to waste your $$$.

BigE
Mon Aug 11th, 2008, 02:06 PM
The main advantage to K&N and BMC is that they are washable and reusable. The performance advantage they have is that they have more surface area than a stock type foam filter. That means they supposedly flow more air but your engine is only going to take in what it needs (unless it's turbo'd or supercharged). On old bikes, yea, it made a difference. New bikes are tuned so high from the factory now that the performance advantage is they go longer between cleanings (kind of handy when you have to strip half the bike to get at the airbox) and are reusable. I've used both brands and they are very similar in performance and quality. I'd buy which ever you could get a better deal on.

BigE
Mon Aug 11th, 2008, 02:12 PM
I was talking to a friend this weekend (races in Europe) and he told me not to waste any money on a filter because it won't improve HP at all over stock. He said I'd be better off taking out the snorkel (????)....(which would be illegal)..

Anyone have any thoughts on the subject?

He's probably right in that it won't give more power but running no filter is a fast way to need a new topend. Dirt doesn't "digest" well in your engine if you catch my drift.
Depending on the bike it may give you more topend or just jack your jetting/FI tune. Those snorkels help with low and mid range as well as balance between cylinders so they help throttle response basically. If it's a track only bike that you're wringing out, go for it. :)

Devaclis
Mon Aug 11th, 2008, 02:20 PM
I have installed K&N and Uni-PODS on different bikes and I can tell you the only change I noticed was in the intake noise. My 600RR has a really loud intake.

I can barely hear my exhaust over it. And my exhaust it just a teeny bit loud /sarcasm

Superfreak
Mon Aug 11th, 2008, 02:30 PM
BMC race have been shown to increase hp over K&N on 1000rr's, but of course it's just part of the intake, exhaust, PC, and dyno to make it all work correctly.

pauliep
Mon Aug 11th, 2008, 05:03 PM
BMC race have been shown to increase hp over K&N on 1000rr's, but of course it's just part of the intake, exhaust, PC, and dyno to make it all work correctly.

I wouldn't take anything Superfreak says very serious. He holds little to no creditability and does so because he isn't providing these "showings." :hump:

Clarkie
Mon Aug 11th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Stock

Cars-R-Coffins
Mon Aug 11th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Depending on the bike and year, sometimes the stock filter is your best bet. But if you're looking at BMC vs. K&N... BMC hands down.

Sean
Mon Aug 11th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Stock

Why?...just curious?

The_Jackel
Mon Aug 11th, 2008, 08:59 PM
K&N or BMC is better than oem in my opinion. They last alot longer and do flow more, will also save you money in the long run. We have found and many other shops have found that bmc will make more proven power over stock and K&N. We have seen no problems from kn or bmc with filtering. A dirty filter is a dirty filter!!! Maintenance people!!! We have seen more dirt enter the air box from a dirty stock filter than a dirty aftermarket filter. Yes they will all allow dirt in when dirty but the aftermarkets usually fair out better.

Clarkie
Mon Aug 11th, 2008, 09:18 PM
K&N or BMC dont make any more power than a stock filter once tuned properly

Sean
Mon Aug 11th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Thanks Clarkie. I'm just a curious guy. With bike companies, they sometimes don't use the best possible part, and sometimes they use pretty good ones. With airflow and filtering being a large component to bikes, especially race bikes; do you think there are good options, or is the stock gonna hang in there pretty well and do as good of a job? Thanks!

Cars-R-Coffins
Mon Aug 11th, 2008, 09:29 PM
...on your bike.

Agreed, 99% of the peole who install a BMC/K&N won't be able to tell the difference anyways.

Clarkie
Mon Aug 11th, 2008, 09:42 PM
on a lot of bikes, obviously the 'tuning' is the key word there, last year i ran a K&N, the year before a BMC, this year a stock filter, that should tell you something ;)

Owning my own dyno has its advantages, i use it as a BS dectector on a lot of 'trick' parts that people claim wil do this or that. You would be surprised how many people running in the AMA use stock air filters........regardless of what the decals on their bike says

Sean
Mon Aug 11th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Interesting! So what you're saying is save money on air filters and buy a dyno? Good advise....j/k Thanks for the insight.

Devaclis
Mon Aug 11th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Clarkie has NO idea what he is talking about. Him and IRDave should just leave anything related to motorcycle tuning to those of us who know.

NOT!!!!!! :)

Clarkie
Mon Aug 11th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Dave sucks :)

Cars-R-Coffins
Tue Aug 12th, 2008, 12:53 AM
Clarkie,

Would you care to educate the masses on what else you've tested that is a waste of $$$? ...or at least a waste of $$$/HP gained. How about 520 conversions kits?

ihavealegohead
Tue Aug 12th, 2008, 06:40 AM
...on your bike.

Agreed, 99% of the peole who install a BMC/K&N won't be able to tell the difference anyways.

All I can tell you for sure, is that if I clean my bike it goes faster.

Clarkie
Tue Aug 12th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Clarkie,

Would you care to educate the masses on what else you've tested that is a waste of $$$? ...or at least a waste of $$$/HP gained. How about 520 conversions kits?

520 conversion kits = good :)

buying a 520 chain and sporockets is also cheaper than buying a 525/530 kit. But as soon as you get a tight spot you are screwed, i have personally picked up 4hp from replacing a worn chain

Superfreak
Wed Aug 13th, 2008, 05:31 AM
I wouldn't take anything Superfreak says very serious. He holds little to no creditability and does so because he isn't providing these "showings." :hump:

Suck it Paulie, that sere course got you all f'd up (welcome back btw)!

On 1000RR.net this topic has been beat to death. Without searching too much, here's some definitive data. http://www.hooliganbiketech.net/hondacbr1000rrweb/1000RR_mods/1000RR_bmcracefilters/bmcracefilters.htm

520 is the best bang for the buck IMO.

Clarkie
Wed Aug 13th, 2008, 07:07 AM
Suck it Paulie, that sere course got you all f'd up (welcome back btw)!

On 1000RR.net this topic has been beat to death. Without searching too much, here's some definitive data. http://www.hooliganbiketech.net/hondacbr1000rrweb/1000RR_mods/1000RR_bmcracefilters/bmcracefilters.htm

520 is the best bang for the buck IMO.

without an airfuel trace that test is worthless, with the other mods the bike coud be in a rich condition and the filter lean the bike out to make more power, testing is only conclusive when ALL the variable have been looked at, not just 2/3's of them ;)

Tipys
Wed Aug 13th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Hey I thought a liter bike would go thought a 520 chain to quickly to be any good. Is this right or wroung

Clarkie
Wed Aug 13th, 2008, 07:37 AM
depends on the chain and sprocket, some chain and sprockets last longer than others regardless of pitch