PDA

View Full Version : Buy from CoPowersports Thornton?

Mae
Fri Aug 8th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Dont know if this is the right place to post this but I figure since it has "experiences" in the title I thought it might fitbest in this category...please move it if I am mistaken.

So, since there are so many of you on here with experiences from many dealerships I was wondering...

what is/was your buying experience like from this dealership?
(Colorado Powersports Thornton off 104th)

Yes I hear their service department sucks from past posts, but Ive come to learn that a bad experience from a place and you tell everyone and a good experience you tell just those close to you.

Reason I am asking is because I am buying my bike on August 28th and I am going around getting preapproved and trying to find what places have the bike or are willing to bring it in.

RPM doesnt have the exact bike I want and wont/cant bring it in...too bad for them...coulda been an easy sale.

Anyways so a gentleman from CoPwrspts called me on Wednesday and said he saw I had been looking at their site and so on (I filled out an app for them to call me or give me info). The guy was nice but more than that he was HONEST and I seriously had the feeling that he genuinely wanted my business and wasnt just out for another sale and giving me the usual lines. He explained to me in his own terms about credit, financing and interest rates. I told him the max price I was willing to spend for the bike and he agreed that it was a respectable price (i know the MSRP and I wont pay more than $400 over it and thats PUSHING it and it better have been shipped to the dealership from out of state to get it in for me if I am paying that much over). I seriously feel like he wasnt bullshitting me around just to get a sale and since I had been talking to so many other dealerships I had been hearing alot of BS and lines and I was sick of it so he came as a relief.

I am going in tomorrow to fill out a pre-app form and speak with the gentleman face to face...and not let my emotions get involved with the bike.

Anyone have any good news about them or things to be warned about?
Any other SUZUKI dealerships you know of that are in the metro area that I should check into?

For the record Fay Myers has already pre-approved me and they have my bike on the floor but I dont like their corporate atmosphere...never have even just from walking in or going to their open houses. OTDCyclesports "cant finance me" even with 2k down...eh their loss...to bad too...they got a good review from a friend of mine and had I been approved I wouldnt have looked any further.

I dont want any over hyped overpriced BS dealerships, I just want my bike and I dont want to be penalized if I pay it off sooner than the scheduled pay off date.

Also any tips/advice you have about buying your first bike would be more than helpful from anyone with experience.

Tipys
Fri Aug 8th, 2008, 11:23 PM
I dont have anything to say about the shop but I remember buying my first bike. Me I just went down to the dealer one day saw what they had. Didnt know really anything about bikes at this point just that I always wanted one since I was about 4years old. Found the bike I wanted to get. Then me being young I couldnt even get a salesmen to talk to me. Went to the fincal counter talked to someone there they hooked me up with a sellsmen. I only got approved fo 6k I needed 9.5k to get the bike I wanted found one for around 6k. Next day I had a bike. Without knowing how to ride it let alone anything about them. I really think I got lucky with the bike I pick it was an 07 ninja 650

Mae
Fri Aug 8th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Well I'm glad you learned a thing or two about riding! (or so I hope! haha)

Thanks for the reply, I love to learn about other peoples experiences :)

wazemoto07
Fri Aug 8th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Great place and Good People!!! Kurt sold me my last bike and they treat me well!!!

Mae
Sat Aug 9th, 2008, 05:30 PM
right on :) thanks for the info :)

dm_gsxr
Sat Aug 9th, 2008, 06:20 PM
They're the closest to us and we've bought several things from them and used their service department at least once. I generally do my own work though :)

Mike behind the parts counter is friendly and helpful.

It's hard to gauge the sales folks though. Sometimes they'll come over to help and others it seems like they're just leaving us alone.

One thing I do like is I never have to point them to Rita multiple times. Over at Sun, the sales guy seems to like to talk to me even though Rita's bought one bike from him (the Ninja). I keep having to point over at Rita when she's talking about a bike she's looking for :rolleyes:

I don't recall the service experience though. It wasn't bad since I don't remember anything about it.

One thing to note. There is a sign above the service department. It says that you must tell them you aren't in a hurry or they will get stuff in as quick as possible and will charge you expedited prices.

I wouldn't have a problem looking at a bike and buying one from them.

Carl

MikeG
Sat Aug 9th, 2008, 06:55 PM
I just recently bought a new motorcycle from G force powersports and had an excellent experience. As far as CO pwrsports it's close to where I live, but people just seem shady there in my opinion

graphix
Sat Aug 9th, 2008, 07:16 PM
I bought my first bike from them when they had a store in CastleRock. I had a great experience with them. Now there is a store called Xtreme Performance, I bought a bike from them last year and they are great too. Sold me the bike below MSRP and offered a better trade in on my old bike than any other place. Maybe you could check them out!

pilot
Sat Aug 9th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Advanced best wishes on you new ride.

Matrix
Sat Aug 9th, 2008, 08:20 PM
I bought an oil filter from them two weeks ago for my gsxr and paid a little extra to get the K&N. After messing with it for 10 min once I had my bike tore down I realized it wasnt the right part. Come to find out they dont carry K&N for Suzuki (only Yamaha). Dont ask me how they got that wrong. haha If you use their parts department make sure you verify what your getting before you drive 20 miles home.

Jim_Vess
Sat Aug 9th, 2008, 10:59 PM
I haven't dealt with the Thornton store, but I've been doing business with Colorado Powersports in Boulder for years. I've been treated right by everyone there - sales, parts and service.

DevilsTonic
Sun Aug 10th, 2008, 08:50 AM
I bought my R1 from them 3 years ago, and the sales person was great. Gave us a good deal on the bike and wasn't your typical pushy sales person. He was honest and pretty easy to talk to. No pressure.

When i bought my bike I purchased the priority care plan (a must have IMO). I've had all of my work done by them and only once did I question the work that was done to my bike. I asked them to drain and refill the brake fluid and I got the bike back and the brake fluid was still brown instead of the color of apple juice. So I asked them to redo the work. Overall the experience with the Thornton store has been good.

I would recommend going to them to purchase a bike before going to fay myers. I had numerous negative experiences with Fay Myers. However, they could've changed since my last major purchase from them.

Ultimately with Fay Myers I felt like just another sale. With CoPow in thornton, I felt more like a person and I go in there for work from time to time and the sales and service people still know me and are very easy to talk to and easy to work with.

Mae
Sun Aug 10th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Wow thanks everyone for the input I seriously appreciate it!

I went in yesterday and the guy was just as genuine and honest in person as he was on the phone (another + for him/them). When I told him my expectations for financing and monthly pricing he was glad to know that I was realistic about it all - thanks to several of you and friends I knew what to expect.
So update, no financing found yet thru them. They are waiting on word from a few credit unions and I might hear back by Tuesday at the latest. I'm not putting all myself into this though so if it falls through I can keep going and wont get discouraged.

And DT its funny you say that you felt like a person because my sales guy looked straight at me and not my friend Randy who I brought with me should I have to go over the paperwork that day. Maybe it was because I told him I'd be there before 10, maybe it was because I gave the air of "I am here and this is for me" or maybe he was drooling at my small tits (thats a joke haha he wasnt at all), but I still was happy with how the experience went. I also appreciated the fact that he stopped talking to me when customers from the week before came in to pick up their bike. Some people might have been offended but I was glad that he took his previous customers into consideration even after the sale.

thanks again for the input and thank you Pilot for the good wishes :)

racedk6
Mon Aug 11th, 2008, 01:20 AM
Every shop experience, especially with salesman will be different. It doesn't matter what shop you just have to hope you get a good salesman.

Kole.S
Mon Aug 11th, 2008, 02:05 AM
colorado powersports:piss:

dm_gsxr
Mon Aug 11th, 2008, 05:53 AM
colorado powersports:piss:

In general I'd agree with you. Check the various forums and pretty much any of the Powersports chains across the country are :piss: My personal experience has matched the general view of the businesses. The two Powersports stores in Virginia (Woodbridge and Fairfax) were always screwing over riders and my experience with Northern Powersports in Alaska only confirmed that they're a Stealer and not a Dealer.

There are always exceptions and you may experience better service but the odds are against you :)

Carl

CHRISTIAN COWBOY
Mon Aug 11th, 2008, 07:46 AM
I will say that I was shopping for tires on Friday for the newbie ride and thank Jeremy Huston from Colorado powersports. He said he was really full but would somehow squeeze me in, as he knew how important it was to me. He also called me and told me of a slight problem with my chain and fixed it as well as did a oil change too!!! And was done by 10:30!!!!!!!! Service, smile and did not take me to the cleaners on cost!:hump:

FZRguy
Mon Aug 11th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Colorado Powersports is locally owned and operated…nothing to do with out of state shops. Kurt is a riding buddy of mine and he’s a straight-up honest guy.

dm_gsxr
Tue Aug 12th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Colorado Powersports is locally owned and operated…nothing to do with out of state shops. Kurt is a riding buddy of mine and he’s a straight-up honest guy.

No doubt he owns the local dealers, however he is part of the Powersports Network http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/

Check the "Featured Dealers" link and then go down the page about half way and Colorado Powersports is featured.

My first post was specific about the one on 104th which is where I have the most experience here in Colorado. My second post was my experience with Colman Powersports when I lived in Virginia and Northern Powersports in Fairbanks while on the road. A quick browse of the Powersports Network site shows that not every member has "Powersports" or "Motorsports" in their name so my problems with other dealers (like the one in Maine or Idaho) may expand that experience.

Now granted, every shop will have complainers but a quick google search on powersports +sucks pops up over 33,000 hits. And since the Powersports network also has Motorsports (415,000 hits for motorsports +sucks) and even dealers without the Powersports or Motorsports name, there could be even more problems (and of course it's not a refined search so they may not all be complaints).

Hopefully the benefits that Kurt is receiving for being part of the Powersports network offsets the negativity associated with the overall membership.

Carl

Clarkie
Tue Aug 12th, 2008, 07:00 AM
dont confuse having PSN build websites for dealers with a dealer being 'owned' by a group, you would be surprised how many dealerships have a PSN website that have no affiliation with any other dealerships

dm_gsxr
Tue Aug 12th, 2008, 07:38 AM
dont confuse having PSN build websites for dealers with a dealer being 'owned' by a group, you would be surprised how many dealerships have a PSN website that have no affiliation with any other dealerships

In rereading my post I don't think I gave the impression that I thought PSN _owned_ Colorado Powersports. Just that Colorado Powersports was part of the PSN network. Many of the dealers that are part of the network used to be called something else (like Mort's Yamaha, Suzuki, and Honda as an example) and when they joined the network, changed their name to [something] Powersports or [something] Motorsports. That sounds like there's a bit more than just a web site associated with them.

But again, the _impression_ is that they're all part of a nation wide group. Heck, until I looked it up, I didn't know there _was_ a Powersports Network. I thought they were all franchises or somehow affiliated since there's a Powersports or Motorsports in just about every city. Even the PSN web site sets the impression that they're all one big happy family.

When we moved here, I was initially reluctant to go to Colorado Powersports but being the closest to me in Broomfield, I shopped there for little things that I've bought for the 'busa. And as I said in my first post, I don't think I'd have a problem purchasing a bike there. But it's all because they've earned my business in spite of the general Powersports reputation. A big reason is because of Mike if you want to pass it along to Kurt. He's always been helpful and remembers who my wife and I are.

I know that when I was in Fairbanks, because of my experience with Coleman Powersports, Northern Powersports was my last choice. But the local Honda dealer refused to change the tire on my Suzuki ("we don't work on Suzuki's") which left me no choice and my experience just cements my opinion of the Powersports group _in_general_.

Carl

Clarkie
Tue Aug 12th, 2008, 07:46 AM
nah PSN is just a website template nothing more, a lot of dealerships that have PSN websites dont have motorsports as part of their name, i think you are reading more into it than there is. Now there are other 'groups' that dealerships are part of but i wont go into that... ;)

Foolds
Tue Aug 12th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Another vote for Xtreame Performance in Castle Rock. Bought my bike for 700 under MSRP and non of that BS fee's. Chris Up there is a good guy, he even let me as a noob with a very green endorsement test ride. Co Powersports sales guys felt a little shady and Xtreame beat them in price by 700+ bucks. I have bought some gear from Co powersports and have been treated very well. Had a glove die after 60 days and they returned them for me and got my a different pair from another brand.

Mae
Tue Aug 12th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Still awaiting on word from the bank if anything went thru.
Wish they'd hurry up so I could figure out if I need to keep looking FAST or relax a lil bit!

racedk6
Tue Aug 12th, 2008, 11:38 PM
nah PSN is just a website template nothing more, a lot of dealerships that have PSN websites dont have motorsports as part of their name, i think you are reading more into it than there is. Now there are other 'groups' that dealerships are part of but i wont go into that... ;)

I can agree, we use PSN and dont have "motorsports" or "powersports" in our shop name. PSN is just a webpage

Slo
Wed Aug 13th, 2008, 09:19 AM
I have bought both my bikes from them, Dave sold me my second one up in Boulder but is out in 104th store now, tell him I said hello, it's been a while since I have been in there.

Next bike will probably be bought through the other Dave (spicee brown) up in Boulder.....always nice to do business with another CSC member.

pilot
Wed Aug 13th, 2008, 02:26 PM
EEEK! A post from the Californian. Any news from the west?

Slo
Wed Aug 13th, 2008, 02:32 PM
EEEK! A post from the Californian. Any news from the west?

Not much yet, just went out last week to discuss the shop he has. Past bikes.... and of course possible future bikes. Marketing strategies, touched based on his basic stuff, overhead, employees, customers, and purchasing. Going back this weekend to talk a little more.

Sorry for the thread jack but here is a possible future bike.... A Bugatti Veyron "inspired" bike for his customer so that he can take both to a show at the same time......

Mae
Wed Aug 13th, 2008, 06:22 PM
no its totally cool Jay!!!

Do you mean Dave Young?
Cuz thats the guy I am talking about. Really cool, I really like the guy :)

Still waiting on news tho GAH! Damned bank!

prakarp
Wed Aug 13th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Only experience I had with them - I went into their dealership, looked around for about a half hour, and then left. I didn't get approached by anyone. I didn't go back. Oh, by the way, I was the only customer there.

Meh.

Who knows - maybe they had an off day?

Dont know if this is the right place to post this but I figure since it has "experiences" in the title I thought it might fitbest in this category...please move it if I am mistaken.

So, since there are so many of you on here with experiences from many dealerships I was wondering...

what is/was your buying experience like from this dealership?
(Colorado Powersports Thornton off 104th)

Yes I hear their service department sucks from past posts, but Ive come to learn that a bad experience from a place and you tell everyone and a good experience you tell just those close to you.

Reason I am asking is because I am buying my bike on August 28th and I am going around getting preapproved and trying to find what places have the bike or are willing to bring it in.

RPM doesnt have the exact bike I want and wont/cant bring it in...too bad for them...coulda been an easy sale.

Anyways so a gentleman from CoPwrspts called me on Wednesday and said he saw I had been looking at their site and so on (I filled out an app for them to call me or give me info). The guy was nice but more than that he was HONEST and I seriously had the feeling that he genuinely wanted my business and wasnt just out for another sale and giving me the usual lines. He explained to me in his own terms about credit, financing and interest rates. I told him the max price I was willing to spend for the bike and he agreed that it was a respectable price (i know the MSRP and I wont pay more than $400 over it and thats PUSHING it and it better have been shipped to the dealership from out of state to get it in for me if I am paying that much over). I seriously feel like he wasnt bullshitting me around just to get a sale and since I had been talking to so many other dealerships I had been hearing alot of BS and lines and I was sick of it so he came as a relief.

I am going in tomorrow to fill out a pre-app form and speak with the gentleman face to face...and not let my emotions get involved with the bike.

Anyone have any good news about them or things to be warned about?
Any other SUZUKI dealerships you know of that are in the metro area that I should check into?

For the record Fay Myers has already pre-approved me and they have my bike on the floor but I dont like their corporate atmosphere...never have even just from walking in or going to their open houses. OTDCyclesports "cant finance me" even with 2k down...eh their loss...to bad too...they got a good review from a friend of mine and had I been approved I wouldnt have looked any further.

I dont want any over hyped overpriced BS dealerships, I just want my bike and I dont want to be penalized if I pay it off sooner than the scheduled pay off date.

Also any tips/advice you have about buying your first bike would be more than helpful from anyone with experience.