PDA

View Full Version : Surging

dm_gsxr
Sun Aug 10th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Just a quickie here.

I've noticed some bad surging on the 'busa over the past three weeks or so. Bumpy roads seem to make it worse and it's very noticeable at low cruising speeds (like 40 or so in 3rd).

I was doing maintenance on the bike today, changing the oil and filter, cleaning the air filter, replacing a dead tail bulb (just loose after all) and putting the headlight modulator back in after getting it replaced and found that the air box was not only missing the top bolt (holds it to the frame) but it wasn't on the air intakes.

I must have forgotten to screw it down up in Alaska when I was working on the rear tire.

You never know. It could be the simple things :)

Carl

Nobody
Mon Aug 11th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Check to make sure your drive chain isn't too tight. The sticker on the swingarm of my F4i says to leave an inch and a quarter's slack, when in reality you want around two and a half. Last week after adjusting the chain I noticed a "surging" sound around 30 mph, and it got louder/shorter as I picked up speed. Got it back to the shop, backed off the adjustment by about a mm, and was good to go. Also make sure your chain is clean/lubed.

Hope that helps.