PDA

View Full Version : 2002 f4i shock questions

smobag
Mon Aug 11th, 2008, 05:03 PM
I have a friend with a 02' f4i that has both his rear shock and front shocks blown from a recent trip to montana. He is either looking to rebuild both rear and front shocks or replace them with other bike parts (r1 rear shock? gixxer 1k rear shock? 600rr front forks?)

He and I have done a bit of searching on the net and can't find much on a f4i rear shock upgrade, so is it possible to rebuild the rear shock? Or IS there a shock out there that will be compatible with his f4i?

-Same for the front forks.

Help is much appreciated guys!:)

smo

pilot
Mon Aug 11th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Here you go:

Race Tech (http://www.racetech.com/evalving/english/Srchpr.asp?bikeid=179&manufacture=Honda&model=CBR600F4I&year=02&TABLEINFO=street&langname=english)

This link has the details on the 02 F4i. You can do the work yourself, have someone else do it--such as IRDave, or send in your parts to Race Tech--or one of its service centers--there are a couple in the front range. They can rebuild the Showa 43C front and Showa 40 rear at a reasonable price. Unless your friend was around 165 lbs, it is a good idea to respring them. Have fun and enjoy the new set-up when it is done.

irdave
Mon Aug 11th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Honda is pretty good about using the cheapest rear shocks they can find on their motorcycles... I wouldn't rebuild it.

For a smaller budget, sometimes used shocks can be found and rebuilt so as to have fresh fluid and new seals.

OE shocks from other manufacturers won't work- motion ratio is wrong. (What does that mean? For a given wheel movement up and down, the shock moves some amount up and down. For the Honda, it's typically not very much. The Yamaha and Suzuki, it's usually a fair bit, the Kawi is in the middle. If you put one of the other shocks on the bike, the stock spring rate wouldn't be enough to hold the bike up. Change the spring, then the rebound damping wouldn't be enough to deal with the stiffer spring...)

To whit, find a good used Penske, Ohlins, Fox, whatever, for that bike and we can go through it and make sure everything is working as it should.

Oh yeah, and for sure the fork is easy. I keep everything in stock, including seals and springs...

Sean
Mon Aug 11th, 2008, 10:04 PM
To whit, find a good used Penske, Ohlins, Fox, whatever, for that bike and we can go through it and make sure everything is working as it should.

Dave, because sportbike shocks are a fairly limited target market; are there any good places to keep an eye out for them? besides ebay and/or forums? Thanks!

irdave
Mon Aug 11th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Dave, because sportbike shocks are a fairly limited target market; are there any good places to keep an eye out for them? besides ebay and/or forums? Thanks!

Seems like I remember somebody on here selling an F4i Penske last month... I'd say here, the MRA board, the WERA board (something about 13x), the BARF board (Bay Area Riders Forum?)

They're out there...