PDA

View Full Version : sm conversion

kosh
Wed Aug 13th, 2008, 08:34 AM
im thinking bout turning my crf250 into a SM.
What all do I need to do? I have absolutly no clue what all needs to be done, just know its time for another project since im buying a 450 for mx/sx next year

dallas
Wed Aug 13th, 2008, 09:26 AM
What do you plan on doing with the 250 after the SM conversion? Are you going to use it as a commuter or run it on a street course as a super-moto track bike, or?????????

kosh
Wed Aug 13th, 2008, 10:19 AM
its gopnna be another track bike i wont lisence a dirtbike or put lights on it but i love riding supermoto as much as mx/sx

dallas
Wed Aug 13th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Riding a dirt bike with sportbike tires on the street is about the most fun you can have on two wheels. You are sitting way up above the rest of traffic and you have about 12" of suspension travel for that curb that was just asking to be jumped or the ditch that looked way too lonely. Put a lighting coil, head light, tail light and you are ready to be a street hooligan.

pauliep
Wed Aug 13th, 2008, 10:26 AM
As far as I knew if was through 17 inch wheels on there with some street tires. Then high recommended to change out the springs in the suspension.

kosh
Wed Aug 13th, 2008, 10:37 AM
if i light kit the bike ill do stuff like that and ill be the unlucky guy goin to court:P
like i almost did last night
as much as i want to plate it id have more fun on the track with the super moto

what im looking at doin is
stiffining up the suspension
regear the tranny
catch cans
rimz and tires
oversized front brake

and that should be it for a 250 the engine mods i have done should be plenty of power

dallas
Wed Aug 13th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Are you ever going to ride it as a dirt bike after the conversion, like have a set of dirt wheels for it and SM set-up, or are you going SM and never looking back?

kosh
Wed Aug 13th, 2008, 10:51 AM
no ill have another 2 dirtbikes no need to ever take it back to the dirt

mayhem
Wed Aug 13th, 2008, 10:57 AM
dallas, you knew i would see this..................if its a dirt bike, leave it in the fucking dirt where it belongs....damn cross-breaders.....motard is retarded....motard is where all the has been mxer's and road racers go, cause they can't compete anymore................dallas, you get that track bike ready yet?:):)

sorry kosh, i hate motard..........................

kosh
Wed Aug 13th, 2008, 10:59 AM
but i am a hasbeen mx/sx racer that cant compete anymore :( :lol:

dallas, you knew i would see this..................if its a dirt bike, leave it in the fucking dirt where it belongs....damn cross-breaders.....motard is retarded....motard is where all the has been mxer's and road racers go, cause they can't compete anymore................dallas, you get that track bike ready yet?:):)

dallas
Wed Aug 13th, 2008, 11:02 AM

Why are you soo afraid? I bet if you tried a motard you would like it........... Come to the dark side...........we have cookies............

I have all my body work back and still need to cut out spot for my kickstand in my lowers. I also can't decide on a color, some sort of metallic gray or John Deere Green.

mayhem
Wed Aug 13th, 2008, 11:10 AM
if it cant do 155mph down the straights, i ain't ridin it.........i'd go with the grey. i think the john deere green would show your true colors tho....lol

dallas
Wed Aug 13th, 2008, 11:24 AM
I have done a sample patch of both and I am kinda leaning more towards the gray myself. It has some metal flake in it as well, kinda purdy..........

mayhem
Wed Aug 13th, 2008, 11:26 AM
like scott's bike?

dallas
Wed Aug 13th, 2008, 11:35 AM
I'm not sure. The actual color is called Stainless Steel. It should look prudy as it goes by you.............

mayhem
Wed Aug 13th, 2008, 11:40 AM
the day you go by me on the track, is the day i quit racing.....:turtle::turtle:...where you movin to?

kosh
Wed Aug 13th, 2008, 12:44 PM
oh yeah if i do maybe possibly put it on the street whats a good speedo

dallas
Wed Aug 13th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Trail Tech Vapor or Endurance. The Vapor has a tach, that is pretty much the only difference.

kosh
Wed Aug 13th, 2008, 08:19 PM
w3rd ill check em out

Tipys
Wed Aug 13th, 2008, 08:27 PM
if it cant do 155mph down the straights, i ain't ridin it.........i'd go with the grey. i think the john deere green would show your true colors tho....lol

Then I think you need to switch to a Kawi cause I dont think your Yamaha goes that fast.

Joe
Thu Aug 14th, 2008, 05:23 AM
oh yeah if i do maybe possibly put it on the street whats a good speedo

For $20, SigmaSport makes a bicycle speedo that's waterproof, goes up to 159mph, and has a top speed recording. I had one on my Ducati, my XR650 and my Yamaha XT. The only negative is it isn't lit, so at night you're kinda guessing. You can even program the starting ODO reading, and they can be programmed within 1/1000th of a mile of accuracy, versus the factory speedos which just suck.

Willionaire
Thu Aug 14th, 2008, 08:36 AM
For a basic conversion you could get away with rims and brakes. I recommend stiffing the suspension or a revalve. I know a few guys who just bought a new front end for their bikes off eBay and switch out the forks for motocross and Sumo.

Why not run in the beginner class on the 24th at IMI and try it out. Post something in the RockyMountain Supermoto thread on Supermoto Junkie and ask for a bike. I know a couple of guys are loaning their bikes out.

kosh
Thu Aug 14th, 2008, 08:37 AM
i would run it but i wont be doing the conversion till im on mid tour and wont buy all the parts for another month or so

i was never for riding other peoples bikes im pretty picky on the dirtbike setups

Willionaire
Wed Aug 20th, 2008, 09:22 AM

WOW...You know you right:drink:

All those has beens that cant compete. Nicky Hayden, Valentio Rossi, Max Biaggi, Carlos Checa all use Supermoto for training. Nicky almost competed in the X-games but that has been couldn't crack the top 9.

AMA Supermoto riders Danny Eslick, Larry Pegram, Chad Reed, Heath Voss, Travis Pastrana, Kevin Schwantz, Scott Russell, Mike Metzger, Doug Henry, etc...Has Beens, all of them. Remember when Reed did XGames and got lapped. That guys sucks on two wheels.

Locally, Over over half of our expert members hold or have held an AMA license in some form of 2 wheel competition. One even used to have an FIM license.

Jeff Grace (multiple Pikes Peak Hill Climb winner), Stuart Sinclair (2nd place at Pikes this year), Brandon Shelstad (flattrack national champion), Aaron Hill (SRAC Motocross Open Class Champion), Danny Walker- former 500cc GP rider, and my favorite in this comparison...Dalton Dimmick. Last season a factory Kawasaki rider now racing in the MRA...his first time on a roadrace bike.

Next time you guys are out at Pueblo shake you fist at that fag and call him a has been. (I compared both of your lap times)

I completey understand if you hate Supermoto, every one has an opinion. That's great, I personally think flat track is boring. But to call out an entire segment of people and say none of them have any talent on two wheels...unfortunatley that is not fact.

Also, your post about 155mph on your R6 making roadracing more appealing. The top speed records at Pueblo are 165mph for 1000's and 145mph for 600's. No offense but I doubt a 2002 R6 even piloted by Aaron Clark could get close to those numbers.

I have been offered an R6 by a friend of mine to come get some track time. I haven't swung a leg over a roadrace bike in over 2 years. Maybe I'll have to come out and race the Pikes round in Amateur...just for fun.

This post wasn't intended to start a fire or be a dick, just to correct some inaccuracies in your post. Good luck this racing season.

Will Sequino
RMS #429
AMA Supermoto #429
Former MRA #75
Former AMA 600 Supersport #429