PDA

View Full Version : Odometer?

Midget Hellion
Wed Aug 13th, 2008, 12:36 PM
I am looking at buying a used bike. The only problem is the odometer was stolen and replaced with a digital odometer from Ebay. What the owner says is the miles and what the Odometer says are very different. Would this raise concerns for anyone if you were buying the bike? Also, provided he really does have all the miles logged, is there a way to reset an odometer?

MetaLord 9
Wed Aug 13th, 2008, 12:38 PM
sounds fishy. a lot. how many miles is he claiming & how many miles is the odo showing?

Midget Hellion
Wed Aug 13th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Going to look at it later on, being told it is 3400. Not sure what the Odo says yet as he couldn't remember and wasn't at the bike.

SaShWhO
Wed Aug 13th, 2008, 12:54 PM
totally off track--but tell me about your screen name pimp daddy?
are you german?

Midget Hellion
Wed Aug 13th, 2008, 12:57 PM
totally off track--but tell me about your screen name pimp daddy?
are you german?

HAHA...noone ever knows that. Very nice. I use that as a screenname on everything for the last 10 years. Not from Germany, German decent and about 5 years of German language.

SaShWhO
Wed Aug 13th, 2008, 12:59 PM
SAWEET.
welcome to the zoo!!
hope to get to ride with you sometime.

late, Sash

Midget Hellion
Wed Aug 13th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Any advice on the odometer from anyone? Is there a way to reset digital odometers?

Centrios
Wed Aug 13th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Reset.. nada, That would be a crime.
My bike has about 5,000 but after I had a Crash I replaced it with one with 15,000. So it could be lagit... Go see the bike and talk with the guy. If he seems like a duch bag or theres a HUGE discrepency in the miles go buy from somewhere else.

RF900guy
Wed Aug 13th, 2008, 10:01 PM
What kind of bike is it and what kind of electronic odometer does it have. I would
think that if it it had an electronic aftermarket odometer on it then it could be reset.
I would be suspect of the whole situation if it were me. Even it the whole story was true, I still think it would be a problem later on.

Midget Hellion
Thu Aug 14th, 2008, 10:42 AM
What kind of bike is it and what kind of electronic odometer does it have. I would
think that if it it had an electronic aftermarket odometer on it then it could be reset.
I would be suspect of the whole situation if it were me. Even it the whole story was true, I still think it would be a problem later on.

Yeah, I was leary too. After looking at it and driving it, it seems problem free. He has logs of all the miles, the previous owners name so I can get a copy of the police report, so it seems legit.