PDA

View Full Version : air pressure

chad23
Wed Aug 13th, 2008, 05:33 PM
I know that by running a lower air pressure in your tires gives you a bigger contact patch. and vis verses with high air pressure. But what I'm trying to figure out is if there is any other affects to air pressure. I know to low and you fight your bike to stay in a corner. But would adding 1 or 2 psi help the bike fall into turns better or the opposite. Is there more to tire pressure than contact patch?

RCStylin'
Wed Aug 13th, 2008, 08:06 PM
I just replied, but on your duplicate post on CFRSR.org

chad23
Wed Aug 13th, 2008, 09:25 PM
I just replied, but on your duplicate post on CFRSR.org
Thanks I'll respond there

lovinCO
Thu Aug 14th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Maybe this note was already made on the other forum, but lower air pressure/bigger contact patch heats the tire up more, and the opposite.... higher pressure/smaller contact patch will run a little cooler.

dragos13
Thu Aug 14th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Air pressure really isn't the correct way to get your bike to "turn in better". If you are riding in the canyons, you want to use a correct air pressure so your tires stick. If you bike doesn't turn into the corners, then this would be solve with suspension adjustments.

Lowering the front end of your bike will make the bike fall in easier. Raising the front end will do the opposite. This can be accomplished by raising or lowering your forks in the triple, or making preload adjustments. Always make small 1 increment adjustments then test. If you like the feeling, go a little farther. If you dont, go back to original.

dragos13
Thu Aug 14th, 2008, 08:42 AM
You can also try different tire brands. From a racer perspective, the Michelin PRC front helps the bike fall into turns much easier then the Bridgestone, as the Michelin tire has more of a cone shape and the Bridgestone has more of a round shape.

chad23
Thu Aug 14th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Air pressure really isn't the correct way to get your bike to "turn in better". If you are riding in the canyons, you want to use a correct air pressure so your tires stick. If you bike doesn't turn into the corners, then this would be solve with suspension adjustments.

Lowering the front end of your bike will make the bike fall in easier. Raising the front end will do the opposite. This can be accomplished by raising or lowering your forks in the triple, or making preload adjustments. Always make small 1 increment adjustments then test. If you like the feeling, go a little farther. If you dont, go back to original.

This is what I was wanting to know. I have my suspension set up,I have just been playing around with air pressure and was wanting to if there was anything else other than traction and heat.After my ride down boulder canyon on only 10-15psi on the front and the problems i had with the bike it made me wonder. Thanks for the great response

Scer
Sun Aug 24th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Maybe this note was already made on the other forum, but lower air pressure/bigger contact patch heats the tire up more, and the opposite.... higher pressure/smaller contact patch will run a little cooler.

True and false. Higher pressure allows for smaller patch which allows the WHOLE tire to run cooler. This is because you are creating more heat in the small patch that is in contact with the road. That part of the tire will wear faster due to heat build up.

press on pressas