PDA

View Full Version : Mirror screw HELP

Redflash3
Wed Aug 13th, 2008, 07:31 PM
I can't get the nut that holds the mirror to the bike to come off. Instead the screw that is housed within the mirror came out while I was trying to get the nut off. Any suggestions what I can do?

Tipys
Wed Aug 13th, 2008, 07:38 PM
you vise grips

ChrisCBX
Wed Aug 13th, 2008, 08:42 PM
If you want to try to save the threads, you can use a double nut on the threads. Tighten the double nuts together to "lock" them together. See if you can get the bottom nut off by trying to remove it while holding the locked nuts with a socket/wrench.

jimwallace
Wed Aug 13th, 2008, 09:02 PM
either way will work. if you use the double nut so that you can put the mirror back together make sure you put lock tite on the stud so it will not come out of the mirror again.

Aracheon
Wed Aug 13th, 2008, 10:21 PM
The last time I heard the phrase "mirror screw," it had absolutely NOTHING to do with a motorcycle... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Player 2
Wed Aug 13th, 2008, 10:51 PM
or "double nut"

Redflash3
Thu Aug 14th, 2008, 06:19 AM
I appreciate the advice gentlemen.

McVaaahhh
Thu Aug 14th, 2008, 07:52 AM
+1 on the lock-nut or vice grips.

You may want to put some WD-40 or thread penetrator on that, um, nut first. :D

Just make sure you cover your sensitive parts below the, um, nut so they aren't damaged by the lubricant.

8)

Redflash3
Thu Aug 14th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Well I tried your advice and the top section of the screw is so striped now the nut just slides over it. I think I waited until the damage was too far gone to try the double nut technique. If anyone has any cutting tools or whatever please let me know. What sucks is I'm headed to Kansas tomorrow returning Sunday and won't have the bike fix for Mondays trackday. Someone do a lap for me. :banghead:

McVaaahhh
Thu Aug 14th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Is it something we could fix at the track on Monday? If so, I could bring my Dremel...

Redflash3
Thu Aug 14th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Thanks McVaaahhh, my neighbor just told me he has a cutting tool and I think I can squeeze out just enough time tomorrow to get the screw cut and prep the bike before I take off.........so I'm hopeful once again.

Mac020
Thu Aug 14th, 2008, 09:02 PM
You could Dremel the nut off. Split it down the side.