PDA

View Full Version : Vanson break in

k1200rs
Fri May 30th, 2003, 09:19 AM
I just bought a Cobra jacket. Love it. Besides normal wear, is there a way to soften/break in the leather? Somebody told me to put it in the dryer with a pair of shoes. Sounds crazy and risky for a $$$ jacket.

Anonymous
Fri May 30th, 2003, 10:14 AM
Heating leather usually makes it shrink doesn't it? :shock:

You could try rubbing some leather oil into it and flexing it a lot. Generally with leather you just gotta use it, and it will break in naturally.

Polumbian
Fri May 30th, 2003, 10:36 AM
When I was a stoner in HighSchool I had a thick leather jacket. To break it in I crumpled it on the driveway and drove over it.
Although, at that point in my life I thought tire tracks were cool. :lol:

CSUAdam
Fri May 30th, 2003, 11:37 AM
The heating idea probably came from someone who played a lot of baseball when they were little. I know you can break in a leather glove by putting oil on it and then baking it in the oven. Although I don't know if I'd try this with your Vanson!

Evolved R6
Sat May 31st, 2003, 05:01 PM
1. Put jacket on
2. Goto bathroom
3. Turn shower on really hot
4. Stand in there with the steam working your arms
(Don't get in the shower)

The heat from the shower will soften it up with you wearing it you just keep working the arms and back and stuff by moving around this will make your jacket more comfortable.

worked for me and a few friends actually get in the shower and work there leathers the night before a trackday.

Polumbian
Sat May 31st, 2003, 10:43 PM
worked for me and a few friends actually get in the shower and work there leathers the night before a trackday.

Not going to touch that one. :lol:

Hoopty
Mon Jun 2nd, 2003, 02:19 PM
I just bought a Cobra jacket. Love it. Besides normal wear, is there a way to soften/break in the leather? Somebody told me to put it in the dryer with a pair of shoes. Sounds crazy and risky for a $$$ jacket.

A friend of mine told me they would break in their leather boots in the Navy by jumping in the shower with them on, then let them dry out while on your feet. HE says it works like a charm, I don't see why it wouldn't do the same on a suit. It's not like it won't get wet in the rain eventually anyway... :D