PDA

View Full Version : Bikers vs. Bikers, London

Jason ON
Thu Aug 14th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Watch the VID (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7453923.stm)

Of course, we don't have this same problem here.

peteremsley
Thu Aug 14th, 2008, 08:50 PM
My belief is that the majority of cyclists in London don't have anything against motorcycles. They simply don't want any more traffic in the lane they ride in, which is understandable. The argument the woman made that motorcycles are loud and stinky is crass. London buses are worse on both counts. Some of the couriers do ride way too fast, but most of them are pretty skilled, and you don't see them involved in accidents often.

Having done both, I will say that riding either a bike or motorcycle there takes balls.

The Black Knight
Thu Aug 14th, 2008, 08:54 PM
You know, not to be a complete jerk, but I believe that bicyclist should be regulated to 30MPH and under speed limit streets.

They don't have a motor, they never obey traffic laws(always blowing red lights) and just being too slow altogether. Not to mention they hog the road in higher speed limit areas.

Yeah I get they are nice and eco-friendly, make you healthier. However, when I'm going down the road pulling truck and trailor in a 45mph+ zone uphill. I really get ticked off when One or a Group of riders thinks they own a specific lane of the road. Then I've got to slow to a snails pace because of being hemmed in my faster traffic in other lanes and can't go around.

In my line of work, I've seen just about every trail and walkway access here in Colorado Springs and believe there are more than enough ways to get around the city via our trails system. Utilizing the trails system here and in other cities would be the most safest way for bicyclist to stay off the roads and out of traffic.

My opinion, if you want to share the same piece of road as myself and other "motorist". Then bicycles should be licensed and tagged and should carry insurance as well. Not to mention have lights(tail and headlight) and "HAVE TO" obey the same laws as everyone else.

The same goes for these little gay scooters everyone is riding. If they can't go over 30mph, don't bring them on the road. Either get a bigger one, or start riding a "real" motorcycle or drive a car. Because when I see these guys riding on Powers or Academy and in sections of the road with 45-50mph+ zones and taking up a lane. You aren't proving a point, you're just pissing everyone off.

p.s.
I don't get where the lady in the vid, thinks motorcycles are loud and stinky. Yeah some can be loud. However, I'm sure that huge city bus that went roaring by her smelled like roses and was whisper quite. Guess she's never been around one of our local buses. They things can dang near blow your eardrums out when they go by or take off. Oh and they smell just lovely.

Kappa03
Thu Aug 14th, 2008, 08:55 PM
I like how she said motobikes stink and can't keep up with traffic... she must be mixin a lil something in her tea

chad23
Thu Aug 14th, 2008, 09:43 PM
preach on brother Knight, If you cant do the speed limit get the f*ck of the road.

Nerves
Fri Aug 15th, 2008, 01:23 AM
The most dangerous thing I have seen on the road cense I have been riding (3 months), and man did it piss me off, was too bicyclist side by side on a one lane hi-way with no shoulder going up a hill. I came up behind them doing 55 or 60 MPH on my bike and I had to fuckin slow down, honk my horn before they even knew I was there. As soon as I did that, the one farthest from the side of the road started PEDALING FASTER!! WHF??? Slow the hell down and get out of my way!! That earned them a quick pass (it was a long hill) and a raised middle finger.

wankel7
Sat Aug 16th, 2008, 02:56 AM
LOL, but a freaking double decker bus is ok in your lane? That bus looked like it was a foot away when she was doing that video while riding her bike.

And the guy on the recumbent motorcycle , "I am a keen cyclist"...yeah dude...nice belllyyyy :P

Nerves
Sat Aug 16th, 2008, 06:08 AM
And the guy on the recumbent motorcycle , "I am a keen cyclist"...yeah dude...nice belllyyyy :P

Ya, I thought the same thing. Funny.

Snowman
Sat Aug 16th, 2008, 09:24 AM
I’m not sure you can compare London to Colorado.

The bus drivers in London are highly skilled and are able to maneuver even double deckers around like a sports car. And they have such a good safety record that pedestrians trust them enough to pass within inches. This is why the lady can sit there and talk about being scared about motorcycles as a bus passes by her head.

What she seems not to be aware of is that in order to ride a motorcycle in London requires allot more training and a high degree of skill. The motorcycle messengers in London are some of the best riders I have even seen. They can maneuver through traffic at speed in complete control through openings in traffic I wouldn’t think you could get a bike through.

The average riders here, both cycle and motorcycle, are not skilled enough to deal with the way they can ride in London. Their idea would never work here. We are not as urban as they are and do not require the level of training or our vehicle operators.

sprtbkbabe
Sun Aug 17th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Being on any two wheeled transport riding through London, Rome, Brussels, etc..., you take your life in your hands. They're fookin crazy! I'd seen plenty of scoots virtually slide by within centimeters of double deckers as if cutting through butter.

And as much as everyone bitches about cyclists on here and how they should be on sidewalks, wrong! Not remotely possible in most overseas cities, they are too crowded w/peds, so getting onto public roads is the only way. Bicyclists will just have to get used to getting buzzed through town by other motorized bikers.

Oh, and if ya hate scooters for taking your parking spaces now... just wait until Smart cars start doing the same. My Euro Friends HATE those POS! Take up bike lanes, double take bike parking spots...