PDA

View Full Version : Revlimitor Question

The Ductor
Tue Oct 26th, 2004, 10:13 AM
Hi,

I recently bought a 916 and found in the Owners Manual that the rev limitor was around 10500. When I bought the bike, it was chipped with Arrow exhaust. Whenever, I am riding, I find that the revlimitor doesnt kick in even at 11000 rpm. One of my buddies told me that the chip might have increased the revlimitor. Can any one tell me, how i can find the revlimitor, without blowing my engine

Thanks
The Ductor

T-byrd
Tue Oct 26th, 2004, 11:39 AM
What I did to find my revlimiter was to take it to a straight, empty road and rev it out until I hit it. Then I took some nailpolish and made a small mark on the tach of where it ended up being.
You won't blow your engine up by hitting the revlimiter, unless you drain all the oil out and do this. But I'm sure you know that. :D
Hope that helps.

Tanya

Feathered upstart!
Tue Oct 26th, 2004, 11:48 AM
The whole idea of a rev limiter is to keep you from blowing your engine up so don't worry about that.

If you want to know where it just rev your bike til it hits. :idea:

Airreed
Tue Oct 26th, 2004, 11:59 AM
. Then I took some nailpolish and made a small mark on the tach of where it ended up being.

Tanya

What color of nailpolish does one need to use????

T-byrd
Tue Oct 26th, 2004, 12:01 PM
. Then I took some nailpolish and made a small mark on the tach of where it ended up being.

Tanya

What color of nailpolish does one need to use????

Well, Duh! Nailpolish that matches the paint on the bike. :idea: :D

Tanya

R1ch
Tue Oct 26th, 2004, 12:32 PM
I would like to know to. My R1 redlines at 13750. I was going up horsepower hill out of Deckers and looked to see how fast I was going. I noticed the tach was over 14000 and still pulling strong. I let off and shifted and felt squishies in my pants, I thought I may have damaged it. This happened to me again on the last ride, the R1 pull so hard past redline that I can't "feel" when I should shift without looking. I guess I will have to reenable the annoying flashing shift light to avoid overreving the thing. My tach has Maybelline silver lilac, do you think that will match the stock silver paint on the 04 R1 :lol:

T-byrd
Tue Oct 26th, 2004, 12:41 PM
My cars redline is like 6200 rpms, but it will run to about 7500 rpms before the limiter hits. And that's on a 13 yr old car with 240,000 miles. I think the red line is a just a suggestion on when to shift, the limiter is when you have to shift.
I think if you run your bike low on oil consistently, or never change the oil you won't blow the engine by hitting the limiter.
And yes, I think your polish matches your bike perfectly! :lol:

Tanya

Anonymous
Tue Oct 26th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Redline is not the limiter! Redline just means you're approaching the designed limit the motor can rev to safely. Racebikes (especially R6's) tend to live at redline. I always try to shoft (on the track anyway) just before the limiter, since it drops me right back into the powerband nicely. On the street I hardly ever see redline anymore...

Anyway Ductor, if you changed the chip out, you probably did something to the rev limiting. If it's like most twins you're probably safe at 11k, and the arrow chip may have very well raised it for that reason.

The Ductor
Tue Oct 26th, 2004, 05:02 PM
Redline is not the limiter! Redline just means you're approaching the designed limit the motor can rev to safely. Racebikes (especially R6's) tend to live at redline. I always try to shoft (on the track anyway) just before the limiter, since it drops me right back into the powerband nicely. On the street I hardly ever see redline anymore...

Anyway Ductor, if you changed the chip out, you probably did something to the rev limiting. If it's like most twins you're probably safe at 11k, and the arrow chip may have very well raised it for that reason.

Another reason, I am asking is that my rev indicator doesn't have a marking for redline. The cluster is all green till 13000. Can the chip remove the revlimitor completly.

T-byrd
Tue Oct 26th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Yes it can, by quite a bit actually. Have you contacted Arrow to find out? They should be able to tell you.

Tanya