PDA

View Full Version : commuting to work

CanyonCarver
Thu Aug 21st, 2008, 05:08 PM
Well gas prices are forcing me to park the old F-150 I drive at least 2-3 days a week. Kinda late in the season I know, I will be going very early and leaving before to bad of rush hour. Anyone else also commute to work daily? I will be going from Littleton to the Denver Tech Center. 19 miles one way.

Any tips for morning comute with reckless cagers? Becides just being alert, and careful?

gtn
Thu Aug 21st, 2008, 05:41 PM
Just think of it as a technical obstacle course with pop-up morons and you'll be fine.

peteremsley
Thu Aug 21st, 2008, 05:49 PM
Not daily, but I try to ride 3-4 times a week if I don't have to drop the kids off, etc. I live in HR and work in the tech center - approx 12 miles.

If I take county line (from colorado) to Yosemite, N to the tech center, it takes me a few minutes longer, but is way more relaxing than 470 and 25. Leaving early is good for traffic, but the sun is awful low, and I wonder how many drivers actually see me in front of them. Coming home, I've found S on Quebec to 470 works best... keeps some air flowing in the afternoon heat.

CanyonCarver
Thu Aug 21st, 2008, 07:41 PM
I was thinking of driving to avoid the c-470 if at all possible. Hwy+morning+tired cagers scares me. I was thinking of taking bellview to I-70. what do you think?

asp_125
Thu Aug 21st, 2008, 07:55 PM
If you have to ride east/west, try to avoid times when the sun is right in the drivers' eyes; sometimes even 10 minutes make a difference. Set spidey senses on maximum alert, high beams all the time. And it may be dorky but one of those Icon milspec vests in hi-viz yellow may help.

Sean
Thu Aug 21st, 2008, 08:03 PM
I commute every day. 1.8 miles each way, so I have very little to offer. In fact, I'm almost useless :) Although, I do almost get hit, nearly everyday, because of stupid ass boulder drivers drinking there double nonfat, low cal, hypermochafrappachino while talking on there vegan friendly blackberries.

Assume everyone is out to kill you and you should be fine.

JohnEffinK
Thu Aug 21st, 2008, 08:05 PM
And it may be dorky but one of those Icon milspec vests in hi-viz yellow may help.

Awww damn dude. How about the feelings of us poor military that are REQUIRED to wear those things? Although mine is Hardley Orange and not yellow.

John

Jason ON
Thu Aug 21st, 2008, 08:06 PM
Well gas prices are forcing me to park the old F-150 I drive at least 2-3 days a week. Kinda late in the season I know, I will be going very early and leaving before to bad of rush hour. Anyone else also commute to work daily? I will be going from Littleton to the Denver Tech Center. 19 miles one way.

Any tips for morning comute with reckless cagers? Becides just being alert, and careful?

Are you going to post this one every motorcycle forum?

Aracheon
Thu Aug 21st, 2008, 08:17 PM
Yep - I commute ~30mi to work one way on teh bike. Only time I won't ride is if I know the weather is gonna suck or if I have to haul things/people.

longrider
Thu Aug 21st, 2008, 08:41 PM
Another daily commuter here, also about 30 miles each way. I do have an advantage in that I live in the country east of town so the sun is at my back and I dont have to deal with traffic until I am closer than Parker. A lot of good advice has been given, just be very observant of all the idiots on the road.

This summer I managed to go 2 1/2 months without commuting once in the truck, if it wasn't for the rain last week that streak would still be going...

Spiderman
Thu Aug 21st, 2008, 09:04 PM
Parker to Boulder, daily (with the rare exception, of course).

Ya, be alert and just watch people - if you can't already, you'll soon develop a sense of what their about to do... do this when you're driving your cage too... pretty soon you'll be amazed at this new psychic ability you've developed. :lol:

If you're commuting early (around sunrise), don't forget - when your shadow is long & in front of you, oncoming traffic will be blinded by the sun and won't be able to see you... same is true for people turning onto the street you're on (either direction).

Ride safe. 8)

PS: Moving to Technique forum

CanyonCarver
Thu Aug 21st, 2008, 09:07 PM
trying to see how much money I will be saving. I may have to think of less sporty tires, I need tires to last longer for sure.. WHat tires you all using?

Spiderman
Thu Aug 21st, 2008, 09:27 PM
I'm using some of my old race tires... Bridgestone BT-002's. Soft compound front, hard compound rear... riding em til their bald. I just put a "new" rear on 2 weeks ago, after putting 3000 miles on it since July 1st. I doubt it had 1000 miles on it before that.

64BonnieLass
Thu Aug 21st, 2008, 09:59 PM
I commute on the bike about 3 times a week. From Highlands Ranch to Littleton. Other days are for chores/business meetings, and picking stuff up that I can't carry on the bike.

But for the most part, I have felt pretty comfortable on C-470. I know it just takes one in a crowd to ruin your riding moment, but maybe I have been lucky so far.

The C-470 people, seem to me, to be WAY nicer then the asshats on Santa Fe during rush hour coming home at night. My Santa Fe ride in the morning is great. It's the evening rush hour that has freaked me out. Stupid women drivers. :scream1:

But, my take on it, is that I suppose it makes me a better overall rider to contend with it even though I get a lil nervous from time to time.

Silver lining is that maybe I will get to wave at you one day without knowing that it's you. And you have to admit that the nice cold air in the morning is kinda nice. Whoo hoo!

Safe riding.

Terri

BigE
Thu Aug 21st, 2008, 11:21 PM

Words to LIVE by.

Did the 34mi. trip into the People's Republick of Boulder for 8 years and the above quote is my mantra when riding anytime.

longrider
Fri Aug 22nd, 2008, 07:27 AM
trying to see how much money I will be saving. I may have to think of less sporty tires, I need tires to last longer for sure.. WHat tires you all using?
I use and 100% recommend the Pilot Road 2. It uses the 2CT technology of the Power except with a sport compound on the sides and a tour? compound in the center. I got 12000 miles out of a rear that was 99% commuting. I have taken them in the canyons and been satisfied but I have to qualify that with saying I am one of those that believes knee down, peg dragging belongs on the track. To give you an idea of how hard I push my tires usually have a 1/4" or so left on the sides untouched.

PharmerKyle
Fri Aug 22nd, 2008, 07:38 AM
Keep it in gear at red lights.
Stay out of cager's blind spots.
Stay in the far left or right of the lane at long stops to facilitate escape from pile-ups.

pauliep
Fri Aug 22nd, 2008, 07:41 AM

Is this why you were slow in the corners ar R2SL? :hump: lol just keeding

Devaclis
Fri Aug 22nd, 2008, 07:50 AM
I ride 100%. Sold my cars to do this.

Head on a swivel

Stay in gear when stopped

Don't leave intersections first, let the vehicle next to you block red light runners

Get a loud fucking horn

I recommend the Metzler ME Z6 for your tires. Google some reviews on them, you will see why.

SupermotoMJ
Fri Aug 22nd, 2008, 08:07 AM
Just pay way more attention and get used to people riding your ass..
I'm not innocent though I almost took out a bicycle this morning due to sun glare.
On the other hand some dip shit in an older F350 about ran me over by not yeilding at a roundabout. Totally staring at me I had to honk about 6 times and he finally stoped! I was mid turn and there's no way I would have been able to stop in time if he had not stopped..

Spiderman
Fri Aug 22nd, 2008, 09:02 AM
A couple of more thoughts I had during this morning's commute:

Ride with your high-beams on during the day!!!
Assume that people merging from an on-ramp will be coming straight over to the far left lane. Be pleasantly surprised when they don't. :)
The same is true if you're not on a highway and somebody turns off a side street to go the same direction as you.
If you're in the right lane and somebody is waiting to turns off a side street, don't assume that they're going to wait for you to pass... be prepared to slow down or change lanes to accomdate them, then honk at them and give them the "you're #1" salute. :321:
On 3-lane roads/highways, be wary of people jumping from one outside lane to another (from slow lane to fast lane, or vice-versa).

I don't do this (not saying you should or shouldn't... it does have it's merits, such as a quick getaway from somebody who doesn't realize they're supposed to stop), I know it may not be the smartest, but I'm wary of the fact, usually keep an eye on my mirrors, and only relax once a car is stopped behind me.

Stay out of cager's blind spots.
Definitely! I've told people "I never ride beside a cage (which risks putting me in their blind spot)... I'm either behind them, or passing them". As you start to pass them, take a quick look at the driver... sometimes you'll see their hand reaching for the signal, or they're doing a quick shoulder check before changing lanes (and don't expect that they'll see you). It's difficult to do this when the car has tinted front windows tho. :|

Stay in the far left or right of the lane at long stops to facilitate escape from pile-ups.Not sure how far over you're meaning. I'm usually where one of the car tires would be, and leave enough room in front of me that I can maneuver around if I need to. When I'm in stop-and-go traffic, I'm usually right near the edge of the lane, so I can jump into the other lane if it's going faster (I hate sitting in traffic anyway, but when you have a 50 mile commute, every little bit helps :oops: ).

peteremsley
Fri Aug 22nd, 2008, 09:39 AM
I have the pilot roads as well. I'd recommend them. They don't get as sticky as the powers in the canyons, but they are perfectly grippy enough for my pace.

Couple of other thoughts from the BMF training I took many years ago:
Always look in your mirrors when you come to a stop light. I keep it in gear until there is a stationary car behind me. Then I slip it in to neutral and sit up for a minuite.
Pick your lane position based on the risks around you - move to the left of your lane if there is a junction on the right, move to the right if there is a car on your left, etc.

Jason ON
Fri Aug 22nd, 2008, 10:02 AM
Right now I have the Pilot Sports of the SV, but that's what it came with. On the 05 I had Pirellie Stradas and will be going back to them when it's time for new tires.

nattynoo
Fri Aug 22nd, 2008, 01:57 PM
I commute ~25 one way almost everyday, pending good weather and if I don't have things to schlep around. I go from Thornton up to Genesee. Its a nice ride in the morning. No traffic, everyone is trying to get into the city, not leave it, as well as a lot of people are still asleep when I leave. Its all highway, except for about three minutes before I get onto the highway so I don't have to worry that much about intersections etc.

I almost got cagged the yesterday on I-70. I was passing a guy on the left, who was following a slow moving truck. He was behind that truck for a long time, so I wasn't anticipating him cutting into my lane. I wasn't in his blind spot cuz I looked right at him through his window as he came into my lane! He didn't even look first before he got over. He was looking as he was about to run me off the road. Fuggin idiot :scream1:

jbnwc
Fri Aug 22nd, 2008, 02:10 PM
One really important thing (IMO) that no one has touched on yet is your attitude. I find that if I don't take offense to the cagers' maneuvers, I don't get upset. Just take it in stride that they will not see you, but don't let it piss you off. If you can rise above it commuting will be a lot less stressful. I guess the same thing goes for driving to work or even writing on this forum!

nattynoo
Fri Aug 22nd, 2008, 02:49 PM
One really important thing (IMO) that no one has touched on yet is your attitude. I find that if I don't take offense to the cagers' maneuvers, I don't get upset. Just take it in stride that they will not see you, but don't let it piss you off. If you can rise above it commuting will be a lot less stressful. I guess the same thing goes for driving to work or even writing on this forum!

Its kinda hard not to get pissed when someone almost kills you...duh. And its not so much as I get pissed, just really scared and upset.

Maui
Fri Aug 22nd, 2008, 03:36 PM
I heard a story about a guy who was riding in I-25 in Denver... He was in stop and go traffic and got boxed in on 3 sides and I believe his right side was a barrier. A cement truck was in front of him. Without any warning, the cement truck came to a complete stop. The poor guy had no where to go except right into the cement truck. He broke his hand and rumor has it, the fender from the cement truck cut through his leg to the bone, ripping his quad down to his knee.
Moral of the story: try to leave your self an escape route. Rush hour trafffic in Denver is brutal... God speed.

Spiderman
Fri Aug 22nd, 2008, 03:43 PM
try to leave your self an escape route. Good point. :up:

Ceez
Fri Aug 22nd, 2008, 09:36 PM
A couple of more thoughts I had during this morning's commute:

Ride with your high-beams on during the day!!!
Assume that people merging from an on-ramp will be coming straight over to the far left lane. Be pleasantly surprised when they don't. :)
The same is true if you're not on a highway and somebody turns off a side street to go the same direction as you.
If you're in the right lane and somebody is waiting to turns off a side street, don't assume that they're going to wait for you to pass... be prepared to slow down or change lanes to accomdate them, then honk at them and give them the "you're #1" salute. :321:
On 3-lane roads/highways, be wary of people jumping from one outside lane to another (from slow lane to fast lane, or vice-versa).
I don't do this (not saying you should or shouldn't... it does have it's merits, such as a quick getaway from somebody who doesn't realize they're supposed to stop), I know it may not be the smartest, but I'm wary of the fact, usually keep an eye on my mirrors, and only relax once a car is stopped behind me.

Definitely! I've told people "I never ride beside a cage (which risks putting me in their blind spot)... I'm either behind them, or passing them". As you start to pass them, take a quick look at the driver... sometimes you'll see their hand reaching for the signal, or they're doing a quick shoulder check before changing lanes (and don't expect that they'll see you). It's difficult to do this when the car has tinted front windows tho. :|

Not sure how far over you're meaning. I'm usually where one of the car tires would be, and leave enough room in front of me that I can maneuver around if I need to. When I'm in stop-and-go traffic, I'm usually right near the edge of the lane, so I can jump into the other lane if it's going faster (I hate sitting in traffic anyway, but when you have a 50 mile commute, every little bit helps :oops: ).

This is all good stuff and thank you everyone for posting on this. I am actually going to start commuting next week from Thornton to Englewood, so definitely some great pointers...keep em coming...hopefully I make it through next week!

CanAm
Tue Aug 26th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Uno mas.
I commute from Fort Fun to Del Camino (Longmont exit) on I-25, 32 miles each way, most days that the weather is decent. Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see one of the most important, IMO, safety tips mentioned. Leave plenty of room between you and the vehicle in front - a 2 second gap preferably. I admit I don't always maintain this much, but 1 second (which still looks like a lot) is my minimum safe following distance. When traffic gets heavy and people are tailgating, I move over to the right and open up a large gap in front of me. I find people don't tailgate me when I do this. I think it's because even though I am keeping up with traffic, riding in the right lane with a big gap in front of me gives the perception that I am going slow, and nobody wants to be behind a slow vehicle. I bide my time there until the left lane clears up then use it to pass and make up time when I can do so safely. Even in Denver, this works. I have no fear of riding any of the interstates in and around Denver because I can create my own little zone of sanity.
As for tires? I just got a set of Pirelli Diablo Stradas this year and I am very pleased with them. That is their high-mileage sport-touring tire.
I have ridden in pouring rain on twisty mountain roads and on C470 without fear and in the dry they have proven to be great canyon carvers, at least for my modest abilities.

Spiderman
Fri Sep 5th, 2008, 03:56 PM

I don't do this...
Forgot to mention, I also have a brake light flasher kit (goes on for 3 seconds, then flashes 3 times fast, then starts over). Hopefully that's eye-catching enought. 8)

Bashed
Fri Sep 5th, 2008, 06:19 PM
All very sound advise in the above.
I try and filter about 5 miles per hour or so quicker
than the surrounding flow of traffic.
People tend to see me better than just
being static.

Peace Bash

peteremsley
Tue Sep 23rd, 2008, 05:02 PM
Moral of the story: try to leave your self an escape route. Rush hour trafffic in Denver is brutal...

I was rear ended (in my car) on i25 yesterday. I was stationary, behind a big truck in the second lane. One car swerved up the inside to avoid me, and the next one didn't see me until it was too late and barrelled right into the back of me, pushing my car under the truck. If I'd been on the bike, I would have been history for sure. You don't want an escape route... you need one!

JohnEffinK
Tue Sep 23rd, 2008, 07:49 PM
Funny. I was rear ended in Denver on Saturday on my way out from Performance. Luckily I was in my F250. Guy hit my hitch ball which prevented him from hitting my bumper. No damage to me but I was not on the bike.

Guy had a ragged out pickup with a load of trash in the back. Said he had clutch problems....

Moral of story: Yes you are never safe. If you cant see a big ass white F250 crew cab in the light of day in stop and go traffic....well you get the point.

Be safe, head on a swivel.

John

Mae
Thu Sep 25th, 2008, 09:35 PM
most of my miles on my bike so far have been commuting from lakewood to littleton 13 miles one way using Wads, Hampden & Federal. I havent had any major problems yet, Just giving myself plenty of space and always keeping my eyes wide open for any possible dangers.

Aracheon
Fri Sep 26th, 2008, 05:56 AM
Giving space, keeping space, paying constant attention to what's going on around you, tapping your brake lever multiple times before you stop (getting the light to flash) to ensure the cager behind you knows you're slowing down, and also considering where in the lane you ride (most of the time I tend to hug the center line or the side where I know traffic might be merging from.) Since you ride the same route everyday, you should have a pretty good idea as to what the traffic patterns and behavior are on those streets at that time of day.