PDA

View Full Version : My bike is swaying back and forth....

Drew303
Fri Aug 22nd, 2008, 01:34 PM
I somehow lost a bar-end a couple weeks ago, and obviously have noticed a strong vibration from the left side of the bar (the side where it fell off), but this past week, I have noticed that when I stop at a light, and the bike is hot, it actually sways back and forth (probably a total of a 1/2 inch each way) . I have absolutely no idea why this could be, and I have never seen or heard of this happening before. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I only mentioned the missing bar end because that is the only thing that has "changed" recently. I did have my 16K service a few weeks ago but havent noticed this problem until this week.

puckstr
Fri Aug 22nd, 2008, 02:30 PM
That dosen't sound good. What shape are the tires? Front bearings?
Front wheel out of balance?

Try posting this up on
http://www.600rr.net/

and/or have the TFOG guys look it over.

fook
Fri Aug 22nd, 2008, 02:51 PM
wait, so when you're sitting still at a light the engine is actually causing the bike to sway back and forth under you?

how did you lose your bar end? possible you somehow lost something else at the same time? like an important bolt somewhere? heh i've never heard of such a thing so just stabbing into the wind.

rybo
Fri Aug 22nd, 2008, 03:31 PM
So,

If I understand you correctly, once you stop and get your feet down at the light you notice that the bike is swaying slightly beneith you?

My guess?

Gas moving in the gas tank. You might be stopped, but the fluid in the tank is still moving.

The reason you notice?

Because there has been a change lately in your bike with the loss of the bar end and you are hypersensitive to some things that have always happened, but you didn't notice before. You're just paying more attention now.

My guess....let us know how it turns out.

DeeStylez
Fri Aug 22nd, 2008, 03:34 PM
I somehow lost a bar-end a couple weeks ago, and obviously have noticed a strong vibration from the left side of the bar (the side where it fell off), but this past week, I have noticed that when I stop at a light, and the bike is hot, it actually sways back and forth (probably a total of a 1/2 inch each way) . I have absolutely no idea why this could be, and I have never seen or heard of this happening before. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I only mentioned the missing bar end because that is the only thing that has "changed" recently. I did have my 16K service a few weeks ago but havent noticed this problem until this week.

I would take it to a shop and have a tech drive it around before trying to make any assumptions. .02

fook
Fri Aug 22nd, 2008, 03:45 PM
yeah the hypersensitive factor, didn't think about that but definitely a good point.

i once lost a nut in the left cylinder of my boxer engine and the initial symptom was a heavy vibration on the right handlebar.. even today I occasionally get paranoid that the problem is back due to hypersensitivity with handlebar vibrations... not a good thing when most of my daily commuting is done on a boxer...

Drew303
Fri Aug 22nd, 2008, 04:10 PM
That dosen't sound good. What shape are the tires? Front bearings?
Front wheel out of balance?

Try posting this up on
http://www.600rr.net/

and/or have the TFOG guys look it over.

My front tire is pretty worn.... I would have posted it on 600RR.net, but its blocked here at work!