PDA

View Full Version : 2008 R1 Clutch issue at 1400 miles...??

TWISM
Mon Aug 25th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Hey guys,

The past couple days I noticed that if I am kind of coasting along say 5-30 MPH and I pull the clutch all the way in and give the bike (http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241950#) a rev the bike jumps forward ever so slightly. I can feel the chain tighten and loosen when I do this and I can also hear it.

If the bike is in Neutral nothing happens the bike doesn't jump forward at all, but when I am going down the road say above 5 MPH I can feel it jump. Also if the bike is stopped and in gear and the clutch is pulled in the bike doesn't jump forward. So it only Jumps when in gear above 5MPH.

The bike has 1400 miles on it and I don't abuse the bike. I put in new oil and 600 and 1000. The bike seems to run great besides this little issue. I have back to back track days coming up and just need to figure out if its a big enough issue that will cause me to cancel or if I can keep on riding.

Thoughts?

Spy007
Mon Aug 25th, 2008, 08:39 AM
I would just take it into the dealership and have them look at it real quick. It could just need to have the clutch cable adjusted, but in case its the disks/springs... they could get it fixed hopefully pretty quick since its under warranty.

Devaclis
Mon Aug 25th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Some of those symptoms, the jumpiness, can be attributed to a loose chain. check the chain tension first.

Mother Goose
Mon Aug 25th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Try adjusting your clutch like Cory said, most people don't do that when they get a bike, don't know why.

TWISM
Mon Aug 25th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Chain tension is good have triple checked that. I just realized that the bike is pretty hard to push when in gear with the clutch pulled in, I know it shouldn't be that tough to push.

I am going to try adjusting the cable some more to see if it fixes it but I have been for a couple days now.

Thanks for the heads up!

rybo
Mon Aug 25th, 2008, 11:08 AM
I had this happen once on a dualsport bike I owned. It turns out that I had accidentially overfilled the oil and it was causing a lot of parasitic drag on the clutch.

First- Check clutch cable adjustment and make sure that you have that dialed in

Second- Check the oil level

Third - if you changed brands or weight of oil at your last change, maybe your clutch doesn't like this particular type, try changing back and seeing if that solves it.

TWISM
Mon Aug 25th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Well I took the bike home at lunch and wanted to test something. If the bike is on the rear stand the speedo indicates 8MPH when the bike is in 1st gear with the clutch lever pulled in, when I release the clutch cable the speed stays the same so something is up.

I went and spoke to a dealer in town and he said he has had a couple issues like that and the plates were sticking together and he had to pull them apart. He also advised that maybe I should go back to Yamalube and see what happens.

I am not an expert in oil but would the oil in my bike really be causing that big of an issue?

Spy007
Mon Aug 25th, 2008, 02:36 PM
i would tend to say NO

Yamalube isnt that bad.... but its not the best. Its just the yamaha dealer sellin his shit when he doesnt know whats really going on. Plates sticking... sounds kinda far fetched but it is mechanicle so who knows. I would really just keep playing with the clutch cable adjustment till you cant adjust anymore. THen if that doesnt help, take it in and have them do the warranty work on it. Hell, why pay for more oil and work on it yourself when THEY cover that part?