PDA

View Full Version : Will an '03 R1 front end fit on an '03 R6?

Kim-n-Dean
Wed Oct 27th, 2004, 09:48 AM
Does anyone know if a 2003 R1 front end will fit on a 2003 R6? A few people
have told me it will but, the part numbers for the bearings are different.
The amount of parts that stack in the head are different too. Also, will an
R6 front wheel fit the R1 front end?

Since my wife crashed her R6 and needs a front end I figured I'd put my R1
on hers and get an '04 R1 front end for mine.

Feathered upstart!
Wed Oct 27th, 2004, 09:55 AM
It can be done but requires a few custom parts. Like you said the bearings(among other things)are different. The steering head and stem in particular give lots of headaches. The gain isen't really worth IMO.

Kim-n-Dean
Wed Oct 27th, 2004, 10:02 AM
It can be done but requires a few custom parts. Like you said the bearings(among other things)are different. The steering head and stem in particular give lots of headaches. The gain isen't really worth IMO.

Do you have details on how it can be done? I'm not trying to gain anything for her bike. I want the radial brakes from an '04 on mine. Rather than buy a new R6 front for hers, I'll put my R1 on hers and get an '04 for mine.

Feathered upstart!
Wed Oct 27th, 2004, 10:15 AM
I beleive it has been covered in depth on r1-forum.com. You'll probably get the best info there.

I can't give detailed instructions on how to do it, having never done it myself.

You'll really just need to make the R1 used to R6's steering stem and bearing. This will most likely require some small machining the the clamps. The length of the stem is longer on one than the other.

If it were me, I'd take em both apart and see how the parts measure.

NineTwoFour
Wed Oct 27th, 2004, 10:36 AM
I have heard that the most difficult part of the process is getting the R6 steering stem into the the R1 triple clamps. Other than that, it is supposed to be pretty much just a bolt on.

Although you may want to check on www.R6messagenet.com for a write up. That is where i have seen the posts about it.