PDA

View Full Version : Possible n00b alert...Frame Sliders?

Midget Hellion
Mon Aug 25th, 2008, 12:42 PM
I'm sure I am opening Pandora's Box...but what is wrong with the "Ebay" frame sliders?

McVaaahhh
Mon Aug 25th, 2008, 12:48 PM
I've crashed two sets of "ebay" frame sliders. In both instances they did their job and saved the frame. Granted, I didn't crash hard, both times were low-speed lowsides.

Just my $0.02...

Midget Hellion
Mon Aug 25th, 2008, 12:56 PM
I've crashed two sets of "ebay" frame sliders. In both instances they did their job and saved the frame. Granted, I didn't crash hard, both times were low-speed lowsides.

Just my $0.02...

Thanks for the reply. I have a friend with an MV Agusta and he even said to go with the "ebay" set.

I figure if it is a drop or a low speed they should do just fine. Would you recommend the cut or no cut kind?

rybo
Mon Aug 25th, 2008, 01:05 PM
My experience is that the e-bay variety are either poorly or not at all engineered. As a result they use materials that aren't really up to the task and may have major design flaws, like being so long that they create a lever and actually do more damage than good.

I've used Woodcraft sliders on my bikes with good success and have even tested them at reasonably high speeds. Graves also makes a very high quality product.

If you have a choice between the cut and the no-cut versions, go with the cut type. These have straight brackets and bolt as directly as possible to the bike. No cut sliders often have brackets that create the lever effect mentioned above, and can sometimes do more damage than good in an accident.

Best of luck

Scott

Midget Hellion
Mon Aug 25th, 2008, 01:09 PM
My experience is that the e-bay variety are either poorly or not at all engineered. As a result they use materials that aren't really up to the task and may have major design flaws, like being so long that they create a lever and actually do more damage than good.

I've used Woodcraft sliders on my bikes with good success and have even tested them at reasonably high speeds. Graves also makes a very high quality product.

If you have a choice between the cut and the no-cut versions, go with the cut type. These have straight brackets and bolt as directly as possible to the bike. No cut sliders often have brackets that create the lever effect mentioned above, and can sometimes do more damage than good in an accident.

Best of luck

Scott

That makes sense, I hadn't thought of the "lever" effect, but I understand what your saying.

Am I also correct in the fact that there are frame sliders and also frame sliders that mount to your swingarm?

rybo
Mon Aug 25th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Yes, there are some small sliders that can be used as spools for a stand on your swingarm too.

dragos13
Mon Aug 25th, 2008, 01:24 PM
The ones on the swingarm are called swingarm spools. They do help protect the swingarm but are primarily desinged to work with rear spool-type stands.

Also, I agree with Scott on the cut-type. Less chance of breaking. Also dont get the extended ones as I have seem these just snap off, rather then slide like they are suppose to.

MetaLord 9
Mon Aug 25th, 2008, 02:03 PM
I have a pair of LSL sliders on my bike and while I hope never to test them, I've heard very good reviews. b/c of the way my fairings are built, one side is a no-cut & the other side bolts right in. The no-cut wraps around the frame instead of sticking into space.

In addition to swingarm spools, which will bolt into a hole on either side of your swingarm, you can also get axel spools which have a rod going right through the axel with a puck on either end to protect the swingarm.

Sliders tend largely to reflect the addage "you get what you pay for."

chad23
Mon Aug 25th, 2008, 02:15 PM
I just installed a set of woodcrafts on my wifes bike and the price was not all that bad for good quality parts. spend the extra $ cause you dont want to be pay later for being cheap. I cut the holes for my wife and for Grafix bikes. Cutting the hole are not that hard just get the right tools and measure, measure, measure, and before you cut measure one more time.

Midget Hellion
Mon Aug 25th, 2008, 02:35 PM
I found a valuable bit of information on https://www.motomummy.com/store/pages.php?pageid=4

I hope that helps anyone else looking for frame slider info. Speaking from first hand experience, there is a lot of information out there for a new rider, and the amount of equipment needed can feel overwhelming.

chad23
Mon Aug 25th, 2008, 04:53 PM
good reading I agree with most of that, dont buy the most expensive but notthe cheapest either. you want to make sure the company that made then has tested them

Ceez
Mon Aug 25th, 2008, 06:33 PM
I found a valuable bit of information on https://www.motomummy.com/store/pages.php?pageid=4

I hope that helps anyone else looking for frame slider info. Speaking from first hand experience, there is a lot of information out there for a new rider, and the amount of equipment needed can feel overwhelming.

Good info...thank you. Dragos13...you know I am going to need your guys help installing these things!

dragos13
Tue Aug 26th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Good info...thank you. Dragos13...you know I am going to need your guys help installing these things!

For sure, we got you covered bro!