PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone run 85-octane in their bike?

Anonymous
Mon Jun 2nd, 2003, 03:01 PM
Just wondering. I've always used premium, but of course you should always put the lowest octane you can in that will not cause pinging or knocking. Has anyone used 85 out here and had their engines knock? Bike intakes being what they are I don't know what the differences would be to a car combustion-efficiency-wise, but if people are getting away with 85 I may start running it to get a bit more power.

haywood jablome
Mon Jun 2nd, 2003, 03:14 PM
try not to, i usally use like 91 little more expensive but when a bike fills up its only like what maybe a $1 more.

Anonymous
Mon Jun 2nd, 2003, 03:28 PM
Right but what I'm saying is, higher octane fuel actually results in less power since it inhibits combustion to prevent knocking (burns slower). Don't confuse high octane with the race gas, it's not the same stuff. :) Other than a higher octane rating there isn't a difference in quality of gas with 85 or 87, so if people are getting away with it at Denver altitudes I'd like to know... At sea level I'd still run premium, but up here I think it may actually be hurting our performance...

If no one has tried it I guess I can give it a go for a couple tanks and see, but my bike is so freakin loud that hearing a knock could be almost impossible... :)

yakuza
Mon Jun 2nd, 2003, 03:30 PM
I've been thinking about that same thing, Ralph, but I doubt I'd go as low as 85 octane for my first experiment, I'd probably try 87 first. Also, since my bike is a track-only machine, it's not easy to hear the engine over screaming exhaust at 10-14k rpm. :)

I'd be interested in hearing your results if you decide to experiment.

rocktboy
Mon Jun 2nd, 2003, 03:35 PM
i put 85 in my 91 dr 350. works just fine. it just depends on what your bike manufacturer suggests....

Anonymous
Mon Jun 2nd, 2003, 03:35 PM
Do you have any engine mods? Generally track-only bikes need better gas because of raised compression, etc... Street machines can probably get away with it. You're not running race gas?

I will probably just go straight to 85. It's not like I have a computer that needs to adjust or anything, and if it doesn't work out I can just dump it into my 4runner anyway...

Dysco
Mon Jun 2nd, 2003, 04:41 PM
I only run on 85. Haven't noticed anything funny yet. Of course, I've heard of people running <80 octane in the Rotax single in other countries successfully.

yakuza
Mon Jun 2nd, 2003, 04:51 PM
Nope, no engine mods and running pump gas. I believe that my skills are the current limiting factor to my racing, not the power of my bike. :)

And, no offense, but I doubt a DR350 or Dysco's GS are making the 12.0:1 compression of my F4i, which is where my hesitancy to use 85 octane comes from. :)

Edit: From looking at Google, it appears the DR is making about 9.5:1 and the GS 10.3:1

Anonymous
Mon Jun 2nd, 2003, 05:25 PM
Probably all true yakuza. 12:1? Wow that's high. My superhawk is 9.4:1 so I think I should be ok. I won't be racing this bike but would like a little more kick out of it, for no other reason than it would be entertaining. Some day I'll put a tank of race fuel in there for the "pour in 6-8hp gain" people are reporting, just to see what it's like. :D Or just go ride a TL. :lol:

Erratic
Mon Jun 2nd, 2003, 07:14 PM
My bike's probably the crappiest one here, so I would be more than willing to try it for a while and see. Just gotta fix the carb first.

Anonymous
Mon Jun 2nd, 2003, 09:29 PM
Yeah it's not a good test if you leak all the gas out! :D

I'm almost through this tank so I'll be trying it soon...

firefghtr
Tue Jun 3rd, 2003, 12:09 PM
When i had my 96 cbr 600f3 i always ran 85 and i had an after market yoshimura and dyno jet w/ k&n filter. I had no problems getting full performance out of that bike . 100 mph was a constant read on my speedo and never heard pinging or poping.

gary n
Tue Jun 3rd, 2003, 04:38 PM
I've been running 85 octane for over 3000 miles on the busa with no problems. The mechanics at Fay Meyers recommended it because the 99's have very fine screens in the fuel pump and injectors that can get clogged with the additives in the higher grades.

I ran the mid grade in my Superhawk for about 7000 miles and it did just fine.

Anonymous
Sun Jun 8th, 2003, 08:18 PM
Well, after 3 tanks all I gotta say is .. wow! Hell it even wheelies easier (hoopty - I have witnesses! :lol: ), just a little blip in first and up she comes nice and easy. Unless your compression is through the roof, I definitely recommend running 85 at this altitude.

I give it 4 out of 5 bananas.
:bananna: :bananna: :bananna: :bananna:

Hoopty
Mon Jun 9th, 2003, 08:53 AM
Hell it even wheelies easier (hoopty - I have witnesses! :lol: )

Suuuure Ralph, who is the witness? :roll: :lol:

Anonymous
Mon Jun 9th, 2003, 10:58 AM

TC, Ron, Chad, and a whole lotta pissed off soccer moms... :lol:

Could just be I'm getting over my fear of looping it too and actually doing it right now, but it does have an extra "kick" with the 8five-o in there which definitely isn't hurting my cause. :up:

Ytry2
Mon Jun 9th, 2003, 12:33 PM

TC, Ron, Chad, and a whole lotta pissed off soccer moms... :lol:

Could just be I'm getting over my fear of looping it too and actually doing it right now, but it does have an extra "kick" with the 8five-o in there which definitely isn't hurting my cause. :up:

It sure suprized me :o :shock: :o :shock: :o Front end goes up and ralph stayed in da gas, kind of cewl watching the twin pipes move to the asphalt and the head light to da sky

Hoopty
Mon Jun 9th, 2003, 02:24 PM
I'll be damned. Well, as long as you're getting it up now good for you (and your old lady :lol: )! :D