PDA

View Full Version : Coolant leaking...

Midget Hellion
Mon Sep 1st, 2008, 04:19 PM
So I started up my bike, went and got some gas, rode around for about 5 miles. Pulled up in my driveway and coolant was leaking out from the bike. Any suggesstions on what to check, this is the first time I have ridden it. The temp gauge said 200 when I pulled in. Is that normal?

jimwallace
Mon Sep 1st, 2008, 04:24 PM
leakage is rarely normal, if you were at 220 it could have been your coolant overflow, but not too likely unless it was overfilled. i would pull your fairings off and start it let it get warm and see where its coming from, if it is coming from your coolant overflow (make sure its not overfull before you start this whole process), then you probably need to flush your system and put in new coolant. i could also be coming from your cap in which case you probably have a bad cap, anywhere else and you probably have an actual "problem".

Midget Hellion
Mon Sep 1st, 2008, 05:13 PM
How would I know if it was too full? I bought it used, so not sure how much they put in.

Tipys
Mon Sep 1st, 2008, 05:16 PM
There should be a line on the overflow that says full and low

Midget Hellion
Mon Sep 1st, 2008, 05:36 PM
Looks like there isn't any in the overflow now. There was when it was leaking earlier. Now that it has cooled it is empty again. Sounds like I may need to add some?

jimwallace
Mon Sep 1st, 2008, 05:42 PM
yes, if it got hot and steamed then it will create a vacuum and suck fluid out of your reservoir. go ahead and fill it up then continue on with checking it out. if it is cool enough right now you may want to check to see if the radiator is full. by the way how much fluid was there, ie. a little dripping, a stream, lots and lots?

Midget Hellion
Mon Sep 1st, 2008, 11:12 PM
It left a decent stream on the driveway, I wouldn't say it was "lots and lots" but it was more than just a few drips. The overflow was definatley bubbling and gurgling. It should be cool enough for me to check now. The last time I checked (5 days ago) the radiator appeared full, but the resevoir was empty.

dragos13
Tue Sep 2nd, 2008, 08:14 AM
It left a decent stream on the driveway, I wouldn't say it was "lots and lots" but it was more than just a few drips. The overflow was definatley bubbling and gurgling. It should be cool enough for me to check now. The last time I checked (5 days ago) the radiator appeared full, but the resevoir was empty.

If you just purchased the bike, its best to go over and replace all fluids, check all rubber hoses and lines, and look over all seals and gaskets. Personally, I would pull all the fairings off and give it a good once over. Also, change out oil and filter.

Running at 200 degrees is not a bad thing. You can see if the fan is coming on. If you are leaking and only at 200 you probably have a loose coolant line or something like that.

McVaaahhh
Tue Sep 2nd, 2008, 08:36 AM
+1 on replacing all the fluids.

You just don't know the last time any of it was done and it's cheap insurance. You can replace ALL your fluids for what, $30 or $40...

If you were low on coolant and had air in the system you could have boiled over. I know you just got the bike, but was that the first time you rode it enough to get it that hot, or has it been that hot before?

Was the leak coming from the tubes sticking out from the bottom over the bike (usuall right below the rearsets), or was it leaking out from the seams between the fairings?

If you have a leak it could be as simple as a hose that has a crack or other hole in it.

rybo
Tue Sep 2nd, 2008, 08:44 AM
If you just purchased the bike, its best to go over and replace all fluids, check all rubber hoses and lines, and look over all seals and gaskets. Personally, I would pull all the fairings off and give it a good once over. Also, change out oil and filter.

Running at 200 degrees is not a bad thing. You can see if the fan is coming on. If you are leaking and only at 200 you probably have a loose coolant line or something like that.

I have a couple of ideas:

1) Your radiator cap has gone bad. This prevents the system from achieving the proper pressure and allows the coolant to boil, causing the overflow. While the temp gauge says 200 there are parts of the cooling system that are MUCH hotter than that. This is one of the MOST COMMON causes of cooling problems.

2) Someone changed the coolant and didn't do a good job of purging the air from the system. Again this allows the coolant to boil. Simple fix: Replace the coolant again, and as the bike warms up squeeze the rubber lines going to and from the radiator and water pump. This helps to move the air out of the system and prevents this problem

Either way these are both sub $10 fixes that may solve your problem.

Scott

Midget Hellion
Tue Sep 2nd, 2008, 09:06 AM
Thanks for all the advice. The fairings are getting pulled off tonight and I will see what's up. I am thinking there must be a loose line, when we took it for a test drive it didn't leak, and it got to the same temp. After that it wasn't warmed up and ridden until yesterday. I'll check all the lines tonight. The leak was somewhere near the front of the bike, because it was hitting the pipes and coming out between the fairings.

On another note, my bike didn't come with a manual, so I am wondering what the best coolant to use is. Is it the same as a car?