PDA

View Full Version : Some techy help on my POS SRAD

jontflesh
Tue Jun 3rd, 2003, 10:59 AM
Went over to TC's on Sunday to have him tune up my suspention. Well I have had this ongoing oil issue for a while and it is bugging the crap out of me.
After a long ride usually I notice I get a real small oil drip on the left side bottom of my tank right above my frame. On closer inspection the oil leak seems to coming from where the velocity stacks go into the airbox. TC is thinking the oil is coming from the crank case breather hose into the airbox and down the side of the engine and tank.
http://www.jontflesh.com/images/MVC-015F.JPG
The hose in the middle there.

Does anyone have any ideas why this would happen? I don't do wheelies or anything just FYI.

This has been bugging me for a while now and I am sick of seeing all this oil on my engine lol, so if anyone has any idea's please shout out :D

Thanks
Fleshy

UglyDogRacing
Tue Jun 3rd, 2003, 11:06 AM
Flesh, how much oil did you put in on your last oil change? Overfilling the crankcase with oil can cause it to come out the breather. If that's not it, your rings might be bad.

jontflesh
Tue Jun 3rd, 2003, 11:11 AM
Flesh, how much oil did you put in on your last oil change? Overfilling the crankcase with oil can cause it to come out the breather. If that's not it, your rings might be bad.
3 QTS with a filter change. It has done this for a while now though.
:guns: Mike bike

lol

Oh Milehigh, I will send you a email soon about thurs :D

BladeRider
Tue Jun 3rd, 2003, 11:14 AM
Well if it were a car I'd say you have bad pistons rings so rebuild the damn thing!

Seriously though, I have the same problem with my Falco. It's a common problem with the large Aprilia vtwins and I clean it out periodically.

What I've done to slow it down is what I think MileHighGSXR is eluding to. I run with half a liter lower and it seems to help reduce the amount of oil blown into the airbox. I still need to clean it out periodically, but it's noticeably less that running with the full 4 liters.

HTH,
Tom

Anonymous
Tue Jun 3rd, 2003, 11:14 AM
Check your compression, it'll tell you about the rings real quick.

Could be overfill, could just be your bike (which has a long standing history of reliability and quality) :P. Most bikes will blow a small amount out from time to time, mine does as well though it just goes into my airbox and not all over my engine. How much we talking about here? It was hard to tell from that pic.

jontflesh
Tue Jun 3rd, 2003, 11:25 AM
Well my engine was rebuilt last year and he put in new rings, I hope they are not blown :o

I will try and hold back on the oil at the next change and see what that does.

Thanks kids!

Flesh

haywood jablome
Tue Jun 3rd, 2003, 11:32 AM
i think it might have something to do with the wads of paper shoved those little noisy holes in the middle of that big piece of metal. But thats just me.

jontflesh
Tue Jun 3rd, 2003, 11:42 AM
i think it might have something to do with the wads of paper shoved those little noisy holes in the middle of that big piece of metal. But thats just me.

Chad http://www.jontflesh.com/ubb/graemlins/piss.gif

:lol:

Ytry2
Tue Jun 3rd, 2003, 11:58 AM
it is not the rings ;)
if you look inside the air box, there is oil seeping down from behind the baffle plate that covers this breather hose in this box. uggg man that was a mouth full ;)

is there a baffle inside the tranny case?
maybe he needs a pvc valve *lol*