PDA

View Full Version : Chilly

dm_gsxr
Wed Sep 3rd, 2008, 08:59 AM
But nice. Yesterday I used my Gerbings heated gloves but only to make sure they were ready for winter. Nice and toasty. I had the setting at about 40% so I know they're good. I reconnected the heated grips last night and used them this morning.

No bikes in the bike lot yesterday or today when I got here. A few on the road though so that's something. :)

Carl

Devaclis
Wed Sep 3rd, 2008, 09:02 AM
This is my favorite riding weather. I rode yesterday. Unfortunately I had to take the car today so I could get some equipment home :(

asp_125
Wed Sep 3rd, 2008, 09:48 AM
Best time of the riding season, crisp clear days and warm afternoons. Perfect temps for wearing leathers. Plus cooler air = more Hp.. FTW! I can't wait for an indian summer and the aspens to start turning. Then riding will really be sweet.

MetaLord 9
Wed Sep 3rd, 2008, 09:50 AM
Mmmmm, my bike LOVES the weather! My tires, however, do not. Remember that it's getting back into cold tire season, so watch your back ends!!

pilot
Wed Sep 3rd, 2008, 10:20 AM
I vote for October as best riding month. Very dry. Brisk but comfortable. Very little, if any, sand on the road. Oh, and you can get away with wearing a silly costume while riding.

SLVRSURFR
Wed Sep 3rd, 2008, 10:30 AM
Best time of the riding season, crisp clear days and warm afternoons. Perfect temps for wearing leathers. Plus cooler air = more Hp.. FTW! I can't wait for an indian summer and the aspens to start turning. Then riding will really be sweet.

I totally agree.. Beulah Hwy, here we come!

Kappa03
Wed Sep 3rd, 2008, 10:45 AM
It's really windy down in the Parker area, I was heading to my bros in Castle Rock and I swear it felt like someone was bashing my helmet back and forth cuz of the gusts.

rforsythe
Wed Sep 3rd, 2008, 11:16 AM
Freakin awesome weather right now...

salsashark
Wed Sep 3rd, 2008, 11:24 AM
Found a pair of snow mobile gloves down at Gander Mtn earlier this summer that were very warm and armored... I guess I ought to think about picking some up... I'm tired of having no feeling in my hands by the time I get to work.

dm_gsxr
Wed Sep 3rd, 2008, 11:58 AM
Either get some Gerbings gloves (around $80) or heated grips (around $40). The heated grips were helpful to about 30 degrees. The combination of heated grips and gloves are nice and toasty down to 3 degrees (so far) :)

Carl

salsashark
Wed Sep 3rd, 2008, 11:59 AM
I don't have a very long commute to work (currently anyways)... I think the gloves will do for now. I'll look for Gerbings, thanx

dm_gsxr
Wed Sep 3rd, 2008, 12:10 PM
I don't have a very long commute to work (currently anyways)... I think the gloves will do for now. I'll look for Gerbings, thanx

If it's a short trip, heated grips might be a better option. They're then available when it gets unexpectantly cold like when riding in the mountains. You just flip a switch and your hands are a bit warmer.

Carl

salsashark
Wed Sep 3rd, 2008, 12:18 PM
Do you have a link for grips in the $40 area? All that I've seen are 100+

dm_gsxr
Wed Sep 3rd, 2008, 03:48 PM
Do you have a link for grips in the $40 area? All that I've seen are 100+

Sorry I don't. I bought the set I had for around $37 at Performance Cycle down on Broadway and Evans if that helps. It's not full grips, just heating elements. You pull your grips off (simple process), mount the elements, put the grips back in, route the wires to a toggle, route the power to the battery or fuse box and you're done.

I wasn't able to get my left grip off no matter what so I just cut it off and put new gel grips back on. They were like 10 or 20 bucks I think at ColoPowerSports on 104th.

Carl

pilot
Wed Sep 3rd, 2008, 03:55 PM
We were selling them for $25 at the IMS shows. Perhaps still.

pilot
Wed Sep 3rd, 2008, 03:57 PM
Yah, here it is. http://www.leeparksdesign.com/eshopprod_cat_530-3637_product_494102.Under_Grip_Heater.htm

http://cdn-2.psndealer.com/e2/dealersite/images/leeparksdesign/grip200.jpg

$29.95

salsashark
Wed Sep 3rd, 2008, 09:32 PM
sweet thanx for the info... and the link... I'll have to look into this.

dm_gsxr
Thu Sep 4th, 2008, 05:55 AM
Yea, that looks exactly like the one I got at Performance Cycle.

Carl

Mae
Thu Sep 4th, 2008, 06:57 AM
I love this weather!

Devaclis
Thu Sep 4th, 2008, 07:16 AM
I can't wait until I can wear my cold weather gear :)

Moveman
Thu Sep 4th, 2008, 02:21 PM
How warm do the warmers get?

Devaclis
Thu Sep 4th, 2008, 02:24 PM
It think it depends on the brand and if you have a rheostat or just an on/off switch.

dm_gsxr
Thu Sep 4th, 2008, 02:27 PM
With my summer gloves, they can get close to too hot to touch in the high position, the dancing duck problem* :) . In low it's pretty comfortable in the cooler weather.

Carl

* In WKRP In Cincinnati, Herb was ticketed because he had ducks in a store window that would dance on the hour. Turned out he had a hot plate under the platform and he'd turn it on every 15 minutes :D

Spinalhaven
Fri Sep 5th, 2008, 01:40 AM
Mmmmm, my bike LOVES the weather! My tires, however, do not. Remember that it's getting back into cold tire season, so watch your back ends!!

funny thing... I drifted for the first time on a motorcycle. he's not lying

dm_gsxr
Fri Sep 5th, 2008, 05:43 AM
Even more, watch out for those painted lines and crosswalks. I make a habit of riding between the crosswalk lines. I also always try to avoid manhole covers and other indents. In part because they're just big bumps while riding but also because they pick up debris so I suspect you're more likely to get a flat by riding over them.

And of course, folks aren't expecting you out there and the sun is rising later, so be extra careful as weather gets colder.

Carl

angab
Wed Sep 17th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Just took a quick ride up to Nederland and the leaves are beginning to change...it was beautiful! Gotta enjoy em while they're there...

pilot
Wed Sep 17th, 2008, 04:59 PM
If you have heated grips, try to avoid gloves that have Thinsulate in the palms. It actually reflects the heat away from you hands. I believe there are a few brands of gloves that do not have it in the palm. Another shameless plug for the PCI Deer Sports and Deer Tours at Lee Parks Design. Either way, have a toasty and safe fall riding season.

dm_gsxr
Fri Sep 19th, 2008, 05:54 PM
When I'm using the heated grips, it's mostly with the deer skin gloves so no thinsulate involved. Occasionally when it's _really_ cold, I'll have the Gerbing's and the heated grips on.

Carl