PDA

View Full Version : Leather Jacket comparison?

Midget Hellion
Sat Sep 6th, 2008, 03:44 PM
I am deciding between a Fieldsheer Kinowa jacket (http://www.bikebandit.com/product/4658) and an Icon Pursuit Jacket (http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydirect/product.asp/ImageName/iconpursuitjacketyellow.jpg/Kitkey2/CLOSEOUT%20PURSUIT%20JACKET/Brand/ICON/Class2/Jackets%20and%20Vests/Class3/Leather%20Jackets). Any experience? Which would you recommend? I am able to get either jacket at the same price...

txrc51fatboy
Sat Sep 6th, 2008, 06:17 PM
both are junk, www.newenough.com (http://www.newenough.com) or www.motorcyclecloseouts.com (http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com) both have quality gear for the same price as that junk

Midget Hellion
Sat Sep 6th, 2008, 07:12 PM
What makes them junk? I haven't read any bad reviews of Icon. The FieldSheer jacket is only $105, and the Icon jacket is $139. I didn't see anything comparable on those site for those prices. Is there a different brand you would recommend?

highpsi03
Sat Sep 6th, 2008, 08:38 PM
They are "junk" because he doesn't like them.. He probably has no experience with them.. I however own the icon pursuit jacket and like it. I must warn you it's not a fall/winter coat.. It has tons of air holes to vent your body and gets cold in cooler weather. In summer it's an awesome leather jacket that keeps cool.

pilot
Sun Sep 7th, 2008, 02:33 AM
What is your planned use? I have Fieldsheer textile over pants and a storm rated touring jacket. I've found both to be pretty much impregnable to the elements. Oh, and that neck on the Icon is going to let the breeze in. Could be good/bad depending on your overall needs.

txrc51fatboy
Sun Sep 7th, 2008, 07:44 PM
What makes them junk? I haven't read any bad reviews of Icon. The FieldSheer jacket is only $105, and the Icon jacket is $139. I didn't see anything comparable on those site for those prices. Is there a different brand you would recommend?

you get what you pay for, i dont know about you, but my skin is worth alot more to me than 105 bucks.

Midget Hellion
Sun Sep 7th, 2008, 09:37 PM
What is your planned use? I have Fieldsheer textile over pants and a storm rated touring jacket. I've found both to be pretty much impregnable to the elements. Oh, and that neck on the Icon is going to let the breeze in. Could be good/bad depending on your overall needs.

I have an awesome cold weather/waterproof AlpineStars jacket. I also have an Icon TiMax Mesh jacket. I want to get a leather jacket mostly for warm weather riding.

Kappa03
Sun Sep 7th, 2008, 10:13 PM
This Icon does have the windstop liner, not sure how well it works but to me that usually seems to be worse than the temperature itself at times unless its hella cold

Sean
Sun Sep 7th, 2008, 10:28 PM
I personally don't know either of the jackets and have very little knowledge of the companies, however I might be more for the Fieldsheer out of these two choices. I don't know that either one would be my first choice, but that's just an opinion.

The reason I would choose the Fieldsheer is because it is a little more form fitting around the waist. I had a mesh/textile jacket, I lowsided, and it just pushed up my side giving me some good road rash. Now I have a form fitting Teknic (untested) that will not bunch up if I'm sliding on concrete. It appears the Icon may do that. Which is also why I only ride in leather. my .02

CaptGoodvibes
Sun Sep 7th, 2008, 10:34 PM
you get what you pay for, i dont know about you, but my skin is worth alot more to me than 105 bucks.

So you wear Vanson?

txrc51fatboy
Sun Sep 7th, 2008, 11:14 PM
i had a vanson suit, till i shredded it. Now i have a Barnacle bill custom suit, astar suit and a new teknic suit.

smobag
Fri Sep 12th, 2008, 01:09 PM

you probably get what you pay for

rybo
Fri Sep 12th, 2008, 01:18 PM

Going on this logic you should own a Bimota...

fullgrownbear
Fri Sep 12th, 2008, 06:40 PM
:imwithstupid:No kidding - not to mention there is a certain standard most motorcycle safety gear has to pass before it hits the streets.

Granted, some gear will save you from the 100 yard slide better than other, but what are the chances you will slide 100+ yard on the pavement, unless you're on the track. If you do, you're probably riding too fast for the street anyway.

If you're buying a jacket for the street, just look for the best value, and a recognized brand name.

Icon is a recognized brand name, and I wouldn't mind dawning one of their jackets.

smobag
Sat Sep 13th, 2008, 02:37 AM
Going on this logic you should own a Bimota...

think id rather ride a tricycle to work thank you. happy with the sv.

Jim_Vess
Sat Sep 13th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Check out the Closeout section on newenough.com at http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/.

I picked up a Teknic Chicane leather jacket from there for $149 about a month ago.

txrc51fatboy
Tue Sep 16th, 2008, 06:31 PM
never been a fan of bimota, nice eye candy but thats about it

irdave
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 08:54 PM
What's wrong with Vanson? I've had a couple of their jackets. Expensive, yes, but boy do I feel safe wearing it.

And I don't think gear has to pass any sort of test (not including helmets)... otherwise none of that mesh junk would be on the street. Really.

GLOCKMAN
Tue Nov 4th, 2008, 04:53 PM
If you can put out the extra money I would suggest an alpinestars, I wear an alpinestars black label leather jacket its very comfortable and everything I have read and heard about alpinestars are really good really good quality. But thats just my 2cents.

Midget Hellion
Tue Nov 4th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Thanks for the input. I am still holding off on the leather jacket. I have an Icon Mesh Titanium and an Astar waterproof textile. They are both doing the trick for now. Appreciate the feedback though.

FZRguy
Thu Nov 6th, 2008, 06:49 PM
I lowsided, and it just pushed up my side giving me some good road rash.

I usually wear an Alpinestars leather jacket and padded riding denim for the street. I’m planning on buying an Aerostich Roadcrafter one-piece textile suit to avoid road rash in a sliding on pavement kind of crash. They cost $800 but worth it IMO. Bad road rash is a serious and very painful kind of injury...ask Chadwick.

irdave
Sat Nov 8th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Please bear something else in mind...

A lot of these manufacturers make many different levels of stuff. A perfect example is Teknic. Some of it is great, and some of it is utter rubbish. The great stuff costs a lot, just like any of the good stuff. The cheap stuff is cheap, just like all cheap stuff.

guessinthe2000
Wed Nov 12th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Icon is so junk. I borrowed my friends gloves for a month and the velcro strap broke off. Can't imagine what it would happen if I went down on those gloves...