PDA

View Full Version : METALIC OIL

IT WASN'T ME!
Mon Sep 8th, 2008, 02:35 PM
I just changed the oil in my 07 gs 500f. I drained and dumped the crank case oil, all looked normal. I then changed out the filter (not a spin-on). When I dumped the oil from the filter I noticed in the afternoon sunlight that it had a matalic sheen to it. I have never seen this before, could it be normal, coming from the dirty side of the filter, or should I be concerned? The bike runs fine, no problems. Yet. It has 8000mi on it.

~Barn~
Mon Sep 8th, 2008, 02:38 PM
I wouldn't be concerned, I'd be happy! Looks like your filter is working well, and catching detritus. :up:

Devaclis
Mon Sep 8th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Were there any metallic particles on the drain plug magnet?

IT WASN'T ME!
Mon Sep 8th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Were there any metallic particles on the drain plug magnet?

No, it was clean.

rybo
Mon Sep 8th, 2008, 02:41 PM
I just changed the oil in my 07 gs 500f. I drained and dumped the crank case oil, all looked normal. I then changed out the filter (not a spin-on). When I dumped the oil from the filter I noticed in the afternoon sunlight that it had a matalic sheen to it. I have never seen this before, could it be normal, coming from the dirty side of the filter, or should I be concerned? The bike runs fine, no problems. Yet. It has 8000mi on it.

It could be normal. There are a lot of parts on a motorcycle that share oil that aren't shared in a car. On your bike both the clutch and the transmission share the engine oil. The clutch is a series of metal plates stacked alternating with a series of semi metalic plates (material like on brake pads). These parts wear and the wear products are carried away by the oil and captured in the filter. I would guess this is what you're seeing. (silver or grey in color)

s

IT WASN'T ME!
Mon Sep 8th, 2008, 02:42 PM
I wouldn't be concerned, I'd be happy! Looks like your filter is working well, and catching detritus. :up:
Thanks Barn, that's what I was hoping to hear!

IT WASN'T ME!
Mon Sep 8th, 2008, 02:47 PM
It could be normal. There are a lot of parts on a motorcycle that share oil that aren't shared in a car. On your bike both the clutch and the transmission share the engine oil. The clutch is a series of metal plates stacked alternating with a series of semi metalic plates (material like on brake pads). These parts wear and the wear products are carried away by the oil and captured in the filter. I would guess this is what you're seeing. (silver or grey in color)

s
Yes RYBO, kind of a silvery-gray color. I may have only noticed it this time because of the late afternoon sun that hit it as I dumped it, but I had never noticed it before.

rybo
Mon Sep 8th, 2008, 02:52 PM
I would say it's nothing to worry about then. It is most likely small wear particles from the clutch and completely normal.

Moveman
Mon Sep 8th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Your good man that's normal, you probley would have never noticed it if you would have had less light.

MetaLord 9
Mon Sep 8th, 2008, 03:33 PM
You've changed your oil a couple of times since you first got the bike, right? If so, you're fine.

IT WASN'T ME!
Tue Sep 9th, 2008, 06:57 AM
You've changed your oil a couple of times since you first got the bike, right? If so, you're fine.
Yes, 4th oil change. I rode today and she ran great, 85-90 mph at times. I had to keep slowing down because my speed kept creeping up. Thanks to everyone for your responses.