PDA

View Full Version : GP Shift Pattern Advantages

The Ductor
Wed Nov 3rd, 2004, 02:11 PM
Hi,

What is the advantage of changing the shift pattern to that of the GP Pattern. MRA racers can you provide some insights in how this affects your riding,

Thanks

The Ductor

Brizz
Wed Nov 3rd, 2004, 02:15 PM
I GP shifted my R-6 and i love it. It seems to me that when your tucked its easier to push down than up. When you are up it seems natural to pull up. I dunno if there is an advantage.

Dr. Joe Siphek
Wed Nov 3rd, 2004, 02:18 PM
I believe it makes it easier to shift in corners as well.

Bueller
Wed Nov 3rd, 2004, 02:21 PM
It'll help you find that rev limiter when you least expect it. :lol:

Anonymous
Wed Nov 3rd, 2004, 02:29 PM
The main reason that I was given is, while leaned over in a left hand turn, if you need to upshift, it's easier & safer to just push down than try and hook your toe underneath and risk catching it on the pavement. There are some racers who run street shift pattern - there's nothing to say that you can't do it, but I switched my streetbike over to it a year and a half ago, and absolutely love it! I agree with Briz's observations, too.

Feathered upstart!
Wed Nov 3rd, 2004, 02:30 PM
The main advantage in GP pattern shifting is it allows you to shift in GP pattern. Helpful for those times when you want to shift in GP pattern.

Dr. Joe Siphek
Wed Nov 3rd, 2004, 02:36 PM
The main advantage in GP pattern shifting is it allows you to shift in GP pattern. Helpful for those times when you want to shift in GP pattern.
sighs...Casey you are so smart you're stupid!

Anonymous
Wed Nov 3rd, 2004, 02:49 PM
:roll: I think this calls for a new rank title :lol:

BlueDevil
Wed Nov 3rd, 2004, 02:52 PM
The main reason that I was given is, while leaned over in a left hand turn, if you need to upshift, it's easier & safer to just push down than try and hook your toe underneath and risk catching it on the pavement. There are some racers who run street shift pattern - there's nothing to say that you can't do it, but I switched my streetbike over to it a year and a half ago, and absolutely love it! I agree with Briz's observations, too.

Ill agree here and add on as well. 1 thing: it is more logical. When U are slowing down U R usually sat up....there for easier to get toe under and drop a gear or 2. Also when in a full tuck it strains the ankle to wrap toe under and lift while in that tuck (at least for me) Just tapping your toe saves energy, time, and hassle.

Its very easy to see which is best for you. (After you have practiced of course) After U have it normal....run a nice flat smooth street in a full tuck and get through as many gears as U can..... Then switch and watch how much faster U go through the gears as well as get down the same road.

I changed mine shrtly after Spiderman and just as him, I would never go back. I have my race and street bike this way.

I also agree there are plenty of fast riders that dont use GP. Everyone is different, but my personal .02 is itsa a must!!!

Slacker
Wed Nov 3rd, 2004, 02:54 PM
:lol: I thought this was about Shit Patterns. Digestive issues?

:lol:

Dr. Joe Siphek
Wed Nov 3rd, 2004, 03:03 PM
I've been riding for 8 years and tried going to GP and i found that I could just not get used to it...if i ever do race, i'm sure i would make the change.

Project Sh*tbox
Wed Nov 3rd, 2004, 04:22 PM
BWAAAAAAAAAAAHAAHAAHAA...

I just saw this thread... I was half expecting pics of freshly "decorated" boxers and stuff. Fuck that's funny.

-ASC

Dr. Joe Siphek
Wed Nov 3rd, 2004, 04:41 PM
Let me explain what GP shifting is AAron...Instead of a standard bike being One down shift to 1st gear and 5 up to 6th gear...it would be vice-versa!

Project Sh*tbox
Wed Nov 3rd, 2004, 04:45 PM
Let me explain what GP shifting is AAron...Instead of a standard bike being One down shift to 1st gear and 5 up to 6th gear...it would be vice-versa!
Thanks for the update Travis, but I'm talking about the TITLE of this thread, "GP Shit Pattern..."

-ASC

Dr. Joe Siphek
Wed Nov 3rd, 2004, 04:47 PM
Shut up!!! I can poo "GP" any time!!!

Anonymous
Wed Nov 3rd, 2004, 04:49 PM
I'm talking about the TITLE of this thread, "GP Shit Pattern..."

-ASC
:lol: I didn't even notice - I saw "GP shi..." and automatically my brain registered "GP shift".

I've updated the title of this thread.

Brizz
Wed Nov 3rd, 2004, 04:51 PM
I read the same thing! :lol:

Anonymous
Wed Nov 3rd, 2004, 05:04 PM
Wrong forum...

Hozerking
Wed Nov 3rd, 2004, 05:20 PM
Bling value!

When I bought my bike it came that way; I thougth I'd try it out and and well it now makes more intuative sense than the other way! (don't ask me to explain) I think of more inlines of going "into" the transmission vs comming out!" vs shifting up or down!.... otherise its a simple way to customise certain bikes! Oh I think its cool cause it has "GP" in the name! :D

-al

Anonymous
Wed Nov 3rd, 2004, 05:24 PM
GP shift pattern may also double as an anti-theft device. :lol:

Feathered upstart!
Wed Nov 3rd, 2004, 06:11 PM
I'm moving this to the bike tech forum

Brizz
Wed Nov 3rd, 2004, 06:17 PM
Thank you. ;)

Feathered upstart!
Wed Nov 3rd, 2004, 06:21 PM
Eh, I do what I can

voncon
Wed Nov 3rd, 2004, 07:52 PM
:idea:

Ok, the real answer.....

If you are into high-performance riding, any modification you can make to the machine to lower your lap times is a big advantage. Logically street bikes are arranged so that you pull UP to UPSHIFT -- smart huh? Once you have gotten the basics of riding down and you start to lower your lap times by tenths of a second as opposed to seconds... you begin to look at other options.

SOME racers find it immensely helpful to reverse the shift pattern. As mentioned above, it helps keep your toes off the pavement in left hand turns. It also seems to quicken the upshift just a hair, as you barely ever use the clutch to upshift in race conditions. Keep in mind that most race instructors will advise you to have your downshifting down BEFORE you enter the corner, so manipulating the shifter in an upward motion is physically easier while upright rather than hung off and leaned over.

Sidebar --- Mat Mladin, the fastest guy in the AMA uses a standard shift pattern. :oops:

Kurt

The GECCO
Wed Nov 3rd, 2004, 08:12 PM
:idea:

Sidebar --- Mat Mladin, the fastest guy in the AMA uses a standard shift pattern. :oops:

Kurt

100% true, but my understanding is that he was forced to go BACK to street pattern after an injury robbed him of some range of motion in his left ankle. It actually doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but I've heard it from more than one source :dunno:

Project Sh*tbox
Thu Nov 4th, 2004, 12:16 AM
I've updated the title of this thread.

PARTY POOPER!

-ASC

BlueDevil
Thu Nov 4th, 2004, 06:09 AM

Never thought of that. good point. :lol:

RSVR4aCowboy
Thu Nov 4th, 2004, 06:20 AM

Never thought of that. good point. :lol:

Didn't keep my Red Mille from getting stolen but may explain why it had been asphault sufing a few times :lol:

rlarsen
Mon Nov 22nd, 2004, 11:26 AM
I switched more or less for the hell of it to see if I would like it better. On my bike, I immediately noticed that I missed second a lot less (a problem with some gsxr's), for whatever reason. I think it also appears to the caveman/ogre in me to stomp to go faster rather than pull up. :D I don't do a lot of knee-dragging, but I did notice it was a bit nicer not occasionally touching the toe of my boot to the ground if I decided to upshift in a turn.

That, and it's nice to be able to tell my no-riding friends that they can't take my bike for a spin because the shifting is backwards. Makes a handy excuse.

Ryan

Stuart Little
Mon Nov 22nd, 2004, 10:51 PM
I dunno, for your "non-riding" friends they probably think that's how you shift, mash on the shift lever...and did you know motorcycles have two brakes!!! you'd be suprised how few people know!!