PDA

View Full Version : Mini-Moto for a 12 year old?

Matrix
Thu Sep 11th, 2008, 06:51 PM
So I picked a dirt bike up for my 12 year old daughter to learn how to ride on and for me to use as a pit bike. It came with dirt tires on it but my thought it that it will be easier for her to learn on if I put moto tires on it and let her practice in parking lots or at places like IMI. In this same vain I think it might be easier to find places to ride such as parking lots instead of open fields or dirt tracks. Do these two assumptions sound accurate?
Also assuming that I convert it to a mini-motard what kind of gear do you recommend for her and me? Obviously a helmet, gloves and boots but what kind of elbow or knee pads (either separate or part of a suit) is recommended?

Here is a pic of the new edition. The bike is a PitsterPro 125.

Joe

1ofTheBoys
Fri Sep 12th, 2008, 05:25 AM
Man Joe, I like the edition. That would make a great pit bike. As far as teaching your daughter, I don't think you need to change out the tires to teach her in parking lots but dirt is a little more forgiving.

As far as gear, are you looking at dirtbike gear? If so then they sell the elbow and knee pads separately from the pants/shirt. A chest protector is recommended as well. Make sure you get her motocross boots as well to protect her ankles. I assume you already have a helmet for her.

There are good places at IMI as well as Berthoud to teach her. My daughter could even show her a thing or two about a dirtbike. She helps her uncle in the summer with his motocross classes.

Matrix
Fri Sep 12th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Thanks Sheila,
I may take you up on having your daughter give her some tips after we get the basics out of the way. I have a motocross helmet, gloves and boots for her already but the body armor type stuff is what I am unsure about. I may go ahead and pick up some elbow and knee guards for her to see how that works.
Your right about the dirt as well. Any suggestions on where to ride it in our area? I am at 86th and Indiana basically. IMI is long ways and may be a little intimidating to learn the basics of how to use the clutch ect.

Squisha
Fri Sep 12th, 2008, 08:16 AM
+1 to Knee and elbow pads!