PDA

View Full Version : I just found out how waterproof my gear ISN'T

Spiderman
Fri Sep 12th, 2008, 08:36 AM
I wanted to test my Joe Rocket Meteor 4 Jacket & Ballistic 5.0 pants... I should've worn my rain suit over them - I had water running off the left sleeve (but only the left one :wtf: ) into my glove! I started feeling water on my stomach at about the 20 minute/mile mark, and the bottom 6 inches of my jeans are soaked. Oh, and my 6 year old Teknic Silverstone race boots are NOT waterproof! :lol: Other than that, and the fact that I should've had my clear visor instead of the tinted one, it was a fun ride in (and still only took me an hour!). 8)

Toes are a little cold right now tho. :cold:

Bashed
Fri Sep 12th, 2008, 09:08 AM
I really love how these garment manufactors make thier claims of waterproofness. If they acually went out in a deluge and hade to pound out 100 miles in it to get home they would reconcider thier claims.
Ny new so called H2o proof jack isn't either Spidy, so don't feel bad.
It is way better than the last though so I am reserving my complaints.
Just a couple seeps in the vent zippers is all. At least it wasn't running down my arms like before. Bring on the fall riding season !

Peace Bash

ghostrider_9
Fri Sep 12th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Yeah, I wore gore-tex over my stuff and with the exception of my hands and feet, I'm dry.

Joecycle
Fri Sep 12th, 2008, 09:27 AM
I did alright riding in today. Had my Joe Rocket 3-piece leather jacket/zippered mesh on, but put on a lightweight rain jacket underneath. And then my Alter Ego pants with the rain liner. And then used my outdoor gear....had on some gortex tall hiking boots, and ice climbing gloves. It all keep me dry and warm for another wonderful day of riding.
The only thing I need to do is put rain-x on the visor and the anti-fog stuff on the inside. It'd be nice to see a little better next time.

SLVRSURFR
Fri Sep 12th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Yeah, I wore gore-tex over my stuff and with the exception of my hands and feet, I'm dry.

I have a leather riding jacket, and on many downpouring rain storms up to Denver, my jacket was saturated, but it didnt soak through.. the only time i got wet underneath, is when i turned my head to make lane changes.. Was thinking of buying a "Waterproof" Jacket, but Now i'm gonna probably just keep what i have.. after hearing what you guys said!

Joecycle
Fri Sep 12th, 2008, 11:36 AM
I have a leather riding jacket, and on many downpouring rain storms up to Denver, my jacket was saturated, but it didnt soak through..

I noticed the same thing with my jacket. I may pick up some leather conditioner with waterproofing in it to treat the jacket with.
As far as anything nylon goes (i.e. pants) I've just sprayed them with waterproofing stuff I picked up from REI.

As for the turning head thing, I just took a bandanna and tied it around my neck/chin and it did a decent job keeping the water and spay out of my jacket.

dm_gsxr
Fri Sep 12th, 2008, 11:58 AM
The aerostich isn't waterproof, just water resistant. I had a tiny patch of water on my left front pocket and that was it. I also had a pair of aerostich glove rain covers so my hands were dry and since I regularly wear Harley Storm boots, my feet were also dry. With the heated grips and water resistant gear, I didn't get wet at all until I got off the bike for the walk in to the office :)

Nice day for a ride. I didn't see any other bikes though.

Carl

Spiderman
Fri Sep 12th, 2008, 12:53 PM
As far as anything nylon goes (i.e. pants) I've just sprayed them with waterproofing stuff I picked up from REI.
I've been meaning to pick some more of that up! :up:

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Fri Sep 12th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Must be nice to sleep in and get into work at 8:30?

ghostrider_9
Fri Sep 12th, 2008, 01:23 PM

8:30? That's crazy! I don't get here until 9 . . . :shocked:

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Fri Sep 12th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Wow...that's nice. It's either 6 or 6:30 for me. But, back to Sponge Bob's gear....

Kappa03
Sat Sep 13th, 2008, 07:34 PM
I was stuck in the rain last night and I have an aplinestars leather jacket, stayed pretty warm and wasn't wet underneath.. my pants on the other since they were work pants..yea soaked.

I have a leather riding jacket, and on many downpouring rain storms up to Denver, my jacket was saturated, but it didnt soak through.. the only time i got wet underneath, is when i turned my head to make lane changes.. Was thinking of buying a "Waterproof" Jacket, but Now i'm gonna probably just keep what i have.. after hearing what you guys said!

SLVRSURFR
Sun Sep 14th, 2008, 04:52 PM
I was stuck in the rain last night and I have an aplinestars leather jacket, stayed pretty warm and wasn't wet underneath.. my pants on the other since they were work pants..yea soaked.
I wear jeans when i ride, and usually, the heat from the engine, along with the wind, dries them out real good.. except for the bottom part! LOL

Kappa03
Sun Sep 14th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Haha yea my work pants are dickies but they still get wet a bit, my socks were soaked too :(

Spiderman
Mon Sep 15th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Who? :wtf:

Devaclis
Mon Sep 15th, 2008, 08:41 AM
I have had some pretty good luck riding in the wet with my Burton snowboard pants (in cold weather only) I have not found 1 single pair of gloves that I would consider waterproof, even after treating them.

If you are going to be riding a lot this fall and winter, seek out Carl. really, he has some of the best gear for cold and wet riding. The gear he wears makes it a joy to ride in the cold and wet as opposed to a hassle.

Spiderman
Mon Sep 15th, 2008, 08:49 AM
I have Teknic Defender gloves (textile), which are no longer available, but are insulated and supposedly waterproof (hard to tell when water's getting in via the sleeve of my jacket :lol: ). They're pretty good, except (IMHO) there's too much insulation around the base of each finger, causing (at least for me) circulation to be cut off, resulting in cold fingers. Teknic even exchanged my XL pair for a pair of XXL in an attempt to remedy the situation, and it helped a little, but my fingers still get cold (it just takes a little longer now).

I'm thinking about getting heated grips.

Devaclis
Mon Sep 15th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Go to Dennis Kirk . com and get some snowmobile gloves. Best idea Beuller ever gave me :) I have been in some VERY cold riding conditions without heated grips and they rock. Heated grips would just be icing :)

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/tpl/cmn/prodlist.jsp?store=Main&catId=302&leafCatId=30203

Check out the CLOSEOUTS!!!

rforsythe
Sun Sep 28th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Go to Dennis Kirk . com and get some snowmobile gloves. Best idea Beuller ever gave me :) I have been in some VERY cold riding conditions without heated grips and they rock. Heated grips would just be icing :)

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/tpl/cmn/prodlist.jsp?store=Main&catId=302&leafCatId=30203

Check out the CLOSEOUTS!!!

Good idea! :up:

I will give my ice climbing gloves a whirl and see what happens. I have some Joe Rocket's that seem fairly warm as well, but perhaps not as waterproof as they claim. There seems to be a good (and supposedly waterproof) pair of gloves on that page for $55 though which is a damn good deal.