PDA

View Full Version : Ducati 750SSie mods

Polumbian
Tue Jun 3rd, 2003, 11:18 PM
Some of you have met me, thanks for the warm greetings. Although I am still new to bikes, I come from a background in modifying watercooled VWs. I have a 2000 750SSie, stock other than the aftermarket pipes it came with, and would like to think about a few mods. Not that I need much more, but I'd like to have it just for those times...

Now mind you I'm not thinking about anything major i.e. an engine swap. But what about the brakes (they need help, and Hoopty knows this) braided lines, etc.? Can you 'chip' a bike? And what's with the vented clutch covers? Etc., etc., etc.???

Thanks, Walker

DucBloke
Wed Jun 4th, 2003, 09:09 PM
I have a 92 900SS. Some of the mods I"ve done would work well for you as well.

1. The stock sprockets on Ducs are too small for emmissions reasons. Go up 4 teeth.

2. High compression pistons work well, but big bore kits with the pistons really wake it up. I have a 944 kit with 11:1's

3. Braided brake lines make the brakes feel much stiffer.

4. Open the airbox and put a K&N in.

5. Lighten the flywheel and the clutch. The vented cover is nice and loud! Love it!

Polumbian
Thu Jun 5th, 2003, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the tips. I've done a little research, but aftermaket Duc parts are few and far between compared to other bikes. What I've found so far:

My stock gearing is 15/37?, and I've found a few to change to 15/39 and one 15/40...am I on the right track? You said go up four teeth....

Pistons/Big bore kits- no results.

Braided brake lines- just need to choose and order.

Already droped in a K&N, but I've read that the stock airboxes are restrictive due to noise... hmm...

Found one lightened flywheel, but no clutches yet. The vented covers can be found on ebay all day (carbon fiber), any comments?

Thanks for the help. I'd love to get together and go over a few other things/ go for a ride/ buy lunch/ whatever when you have time. BTW, I think I met you on the first casual drive, we ate the Little Bear, right?

DucBloke
Fri Jun 6th, 2003, 06:32 AM
Yes, it was me sitting next to you at lunch in Evergreen.

I have a 43 tooth sprocket on mine. It helps out greatly with the low end. You will loose top end and gas mileage, but we don't buy sport bikes for mileage, right. If you go to a 39 tooth, that's actually the stock sprocket in europe. They put 37's on in the US for emmissions. Anything larger will need a chain with two more links.

The airbox is very restrictive. Once you cut the top open on the airbox the air can flow through very well. Only thing is you then hear the intake. I love it personally. It's a big woooosh.

The flywheel you currently have can be lightened for about $75, if you do the install.

The vented cover is really a matter of personal choice. I have a polished Aluminum one with the Ducati flying D. Just be warned that they are loud.

A lightened clutch is expensize. Live this to last.

The drop in high compression pistons are the best bang for buck for performance. It will cost you about $800 with the pistons.

I'll let you know about the next ride we do with the Ducs

panther
Mon Jun 9th, 2003, 07:35 PM
dam DucBloke, you know your motorcycle parts, any suggestions on a 91 kawasaki zx6??

DucBloke
Mon Jun 9th, 2003, 09:40 PM
Not for a 91 sorry. I used to lust after the old 86 model (red white and blue). I started riding back in 86 on a ninja 250.

Just Basics:

4 into 1 exhaust, but make sure you jet the carbs to match or will most likely get flat spots.

Larger sprockets on the back are standard for more thrust. Most bikes are geared to go faster than you really want to go anyway. Change the chain if you go up more than 3 teeth in most cases (good to change both sprockets and the chain at the same time).

Make sure you have braided brake lines. Can't say enough about good brakes!!!!!

Take time to learn how to adjust your suspension correctly.

And remember, it's all about the turns, not who can go fastest in the straight away!!!!!!

Polumbian
Mon Jun 9th, 2003, 10:25 PM

Funny you should say. Took my wife out for ride Saturday, and as we were getting ready to go I realized I had never made any adjustments. Long story short... The suspension has been modified so I need to do some research before we ride again.

panther
Tue Jun 10th, 2003, 01:58 PM
Not for a 91 sorry. I used to lust after the old 86 model (red white and blue). I started riding back in 86 on a ninja 250.

Just Basics:

4 into 1 exhaust, but make sure you jet the carbs to match or will most likely get flat spots.

Larger sprockets on the back are standard for more thrust. Most bikes are geared to go faster than you really want to go anyway. Change the chain if you go up more than 3 teeth in most cases (good to change both sprockets and the chain at the same time).

Make sure you have braided brake lines. Can't say enough about good brakes!!!!!

And remember, it's all about the turns, not who can go fastest in the straight away!!!!!!

Thanks for all the info :D

Polumbian
Wed Jun 11th, 2003, 03:10 PM
I have a 43 tooth sprocket on mine. It helps out greatly with the low end. You will loose top end and gas mileage, but we don't buy sport bikes for mileage, right. If you go to a 39 tooth, that's actually the stock sprocket in europe. They put 37's on in the US for emmissions. Anything larger will need a chain with two more links.

The airbox is very restrictive. Once you cut the top open on the airbox the air can flow through very well. Only thing is you then hear the intake. I love it personally. It's a big woooosh.

The flywheel you currently have can be lightened for about $75, if you do the install.

The vented cover is really a matter of personal choice. I have a polished Aluminum one with the Ducati flying D. Just be warned that they are loud.

A lightened clutch is expensize. Live this to last.

The drop in high compression pistons are the best bang for buck for performance. It will cost you about $800 with the pistons.

I'll let you know about the next ride we do with the Ducs

So a little update, for myself I suppose. Been talking with several other people. Just about everyone recommends if I change any sprocket, I do both and a new chain to keep the wear even... Assuming that is true, FBF reccommends going with a new 15/39, or maybe 15/40 setup and D.I.D. gold 520 chain.

Choped the airbox, and damn does that sound good! Although now it seems like it bogs down a little unless I really get on it...??? Mixture? Power Commander?

Flywheel/Clutch don't know enough yet, gonna wait a bit.

Vented clutch cover <oops> the clutch fluid on my wet clutch will just spill out! :lol:

High compression pistons/ big bore kits... FBF has drop in piston for $250?, but the big bore kit is over $1k. They say not worth the extra money for my application.

Look forward to meeting up with some other Ducs.
Thanks, Walker