PDA

View Full Version : The plot THICKENS....

CYCLE_MONKEY
Fri Sep 12th, 2008, 05:30 PM
http://www.cyclenews.com/ShowStory.asp?HeadlineID=12961

Sounds like the AMA/DMG stepped in something warm and stinky......

I trust the guy from Falicon over the AMA. Throwing out their appeal within 30min. sounds too much like they were predisposed to the answer already.

salsashark
Fri Sep 12th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Sounds like the AMA/DMG stepped in something warm and stinky......

Yeah... apparently a foul rotting pile of a team caught cheating...

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?lnk=rss&article=34166

When reached Friday afternoon at Indianapolis Motor Speedway and asked for his reaction, AMA Pro Racing boss Edmondson blasted right back at Rockstar Makita Yoshimura Suzuki.

“Three times we were asked by principals of Yoshimura Racing what it would take to make this whole thing go away,” Edmondson told Roadracingworld.com. “Typically, that is not the kind of thing you hear when people are negotiating in good faith and trying to work toward a resolution of an appeal.

“The second thing, we’ve had three different stories on the origin or the reason we had that crank [from Mladin’s bike], all of which changed based on the circumstance of the moment.

“Here’s the bottom line to this thing: They gave us [homologated] a part in accordance with the rules that represented the part that was legally used. The part that came out of the motorcycle (Mladin's) did not match that part.

“They tried to convince us that another vendor made that part. And I think that’s right. I think it’s the vendor that makes [racing] kit cranks, not the vendor that makes production cranks, because in the entire Suzuki nation of motorcycles only three have ever had cranks like that, that we are aware of.

“Now the fact is they got caught cheating. This was not a rules violation alone. This was cheating. In my opinion, not all rules violations are cheating. Sometimes people make a mistake. This was cheating. Someone somewhere made a conscious decision to put a crank in those racebikes that did not match the sample they sent us.

“Now I’m tired of this. The answer when asked ‘what’s it going to take to make this go away’ was going to be ‘stand up like a man, admit you were caught and we’ll move on down the road.’ They don’t seem able to do that, and I am fed up with us being preached to about our integrity and our ability to enforce the rules fairly by people who have been caught blatantly cheating with illegal parts.

“All this other bullsh-t about whether it helped the performance and stuff is secondary. The part didn’t match the sample, period.

“And nobody’s accused Mat Mladin of anything. All he does is ride the motorcycle. If Mladin’s got an issue with anybody he ought to be looking at his teammates (mechanics) and asking them the hard questions and leave us alone.”

green_zx7r
Fri Sep 12th, 2008, 06:10 PM
LOL! Love this part. Wish this level of auditing occured all year throughout the AMA season. In fact, I wish it occured from 2-3 years ago... Maybe then another rider outside of Zukis would have a chance at a win...

“Now the fact is they got caught cheating. This was not a rules violation alone. This was cheating. In my opinion, not all rules violations are cheating. Sometimes people make a mistake. This was cheating. Someone somewhere made a conscious decision to put a crank in those racebikes that did not match the sample they sent us.

“Now I’m tired of this. The answer when asked ‘what’s it going to take to make this go away’ was going to be ‘stand up like a man, admit you were caught and we’ll move on down the road.’ They don’t seem able to do that, and I am fed up with us being preached to about our integrity and our ability to enforce the rules fairly by people who have been caught blatantly cheating with illegal parts.

“All this other bullsh-t about whether it helped the performance and stuff is secondary. The part didn’t match the sample, period.

“And nobody’s accused Mat Mladin of anything. All he does is ride the motorcycle. If Mladin’s got an issue with anybody he ought to be looking at his teammates (mechanics) and asking them the hard questions and leave us alone.”

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Sep 15th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Yeah... apparently a foul rotting pile of a team caught cheating...

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?lnk=rss&article=34166
Funny how you call it cheating when an independent expert )from Falicon, no less) testified that there is no advantage to these cranks, and this is easily a production variance.....

So far, the Gaytona Motor Group seems to have proven nothing....except DO NOT speak out against them, or you will be penalized. funny how Mladin's crank is suspect, but Spies's is ok and he's winning. but....Mladin criticized the "King", and so now has been beheaded. and to throw out an appeal in 30min? I call BS.

rybo
Mon Sep 15th, 2008, 08:29 AM
The plot doesn't really thicken, the ruling has been made and DMG/AMA aren't going to back down.

If you want to skip to the part where the plot REALLY thickens then the news about Honda meeting with Edmundson over the weekend and both sides claiming it was "productive" should really get your senses tingling. Honda, after all, was one of the manufacturers mentioned in the MIC thing. If they successfully negotiate to be a part of the AMA/DMG series that leaves Suzuki hanging out there alone. Can you say Suzuki cup?

s

salsashark
Mon Sep 15th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Funny how you call it cheating when an independent expert )from Falicon, no less) testified that there is no advantage to these cranks, and this is easily a production variance.....

So far, the Gaytona Motor Group seems to have proven nothing....except DO NOT speak out against them, or you will be penalized. funny how Mladin's crank is suspect, but Spies's is ok and he's winning. but....Mladin criticized the "King", and so now has been beheaded. and to throw out an appeal in 30min? I call BS.

Did you even read the article I linked?

I mean, I know you bow down to your mighty Suzuki god, but seriously... typical political BS...

If Suzuki really had something, why didn't they actually abide by the requests from AMA and submit their appeal properly? Instead of actually proving their case, they are trying to play the victim and say that Mladin's rep is on the line?! WTF! Mladin didn't install the crank, he could still beat half the grid on a Huffy. Why does Suzuki feel like dragging him into it.

Seriously... suck it up and move on.

Can you say Suzuki cup?

Frank's wet dream.

Filo
Mon Sep 15th, 2008, 09:00 AM

Sorry Frank, the plot doesn't thicken here. Spies had a production crank. Mladin had a kit crank. It doesn't matter that there is no performance advantage in the opinion of Falicon. The rules say production crank. Mladin and Hayden had a kit crank. Isn't that the current fad in our society - if you get caught cheating, tough?

BTW the kit crank in question does nothing to performance, but it does increase the reliability substantially. The fact is (and yes, it is a fact) that Mladin and Hayden (and probably Spies before Mladin was caught) were running race kit cranks.

Filo
Mon Sep 15th, 2008, 09:05 AM
If you want to skip to the part where the plot REALLY thickens then the news about Honda meeting with Edmundson over the weekend and both sides claiming it was "productive" should really get your senses tingling.

You are reading too much into it. Edmondson and Blank were looking for a date. They got together and decided to go to Carraba's, since it was unoffensive and acceptable to both. It was "productive" because they enjoyed each other's company enough to set up a second date. By the way, Roger had the Chicken Picatta with a Pinot Grigio, whereas Ray had the Tortellini Fresca and a diet coke.

And for all those lawyers out there trolling the websites for libel/slander suits, this post falls under the Satire Doctrine.

rybo
Mon Sep 15th, 2008, 09:10 AM
You are reading too much into it. Edmondson and Blank were looking for a date. They got together and decided to go to Carraba's, since it was unoffensive and acceptable to both. It was "productive" because they enjoyed each other's company enough to set up a second date. By the way, Roger had the Chicken Picatta with a Pinot Grigio, whereas Ray had the Tortellini Fresca and a diet coke.

And for all those lawyers out there trolling the websites for libel/slander suits, this post falls under the Satire Doctrine.

Well, imagine how well it would have gone if Ray had gone with his usual favorite of Captain and Coke...

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Sep 15th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Like I said, if this was truly a "cheater" set of cranks, throw the bok at them both. I think the way DMG has handled it calls into question the valididty of their statements. And, for reference, the Falicon guy said metallurgically they were the same, so their is no "reliability" difference.

Being in the manufacturing industry, we sometimes have 4 different vendors for anything, and 4 units built right next to each other at the same time on the same assembly line could have all 4 different parts in them. I object to the fact DMG threw the appeal out in 30min. THAT smacks of predisposition. That's my point, that the verdict seems tainted.

I know how they rule with an iron fist in NASCRAP, and I'm seeing it here.

Again, no Suzuki bias, if they DID in fact cheat, they deserve everything, let's just say the DMG hasn't gotten me convinced they handled things above-board.

The GECCO
Mon Sep 15th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Sounds like they were using an endurance racing kit crank...

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=34175

salsashark
Mon Sep 15th, 2008, 01:55 PM
To back up that position, American Suzuki submitted an analysis performed by an independent crankshaft expert who compared a crankshaft with production blueprints. According to appeal paperwork filed by American Suzuki, the crankshaft examined by the expert was identical to the crankshaft confiscated from Mladin's bike by AMA officials at VIR; the actual confiscated crankshaft is still in AMA Pro Racing's possession.

Does this quote remind anyone else of the DA from My Cousin Vinny? :lol:

http://images.google.com/url?q=http://images.starpulse.com/Photos/Previews/Lois-and-Clark-TV-16.jpg&usg=AFQjCNEWlrhmhGvoOOzwJhWiob3omuMjcA
"I < claps > dentical"

VFR
Mon Sep 15th, 2008, 02:14 PM
If the crank shaft fits, you must ah quit

The two what? Did you say yoot's

http://media.canada.com/gallery/dose_lawyers/071011lawyers_vinny.jpg