PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Set-Up, Help

Jason ON
Mon Sep 15th, 2008, 01:48 PM
So, who wants to spend some quality time with me and help me get the suspension to the SV set up right?

Pretty much what I need is someone to hold my hand and walk me through it.

Thanks,

~Barn~
Mon Sep 15th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Setting your sag is going to take 2 people, unless you know a stud that can actually hold you upright on the bike, while they're also taking suspension measurements.

Just for your FYI. ;)

rybo
Mon Sep 15th, 2008, 01:55 PM
So, who wants to spend some quality time with me and help me get the suspension to the SV set up right?

Pretty much what I need is someone to hold my hand and walk me through it.

Thanks,

No question whatsoever...

get in touch with Dave Rose www.fixmybike.com (http://www.fixmybike.com)

it will yeild a well set up bike AND a great education in suspension adjustment and tuning. It might cost you a few bucks, but I promise you'll like the results.

Scott

slayermd
Mon Sep 15th, 2008, 02:03 PM
The easy way is to do this (http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_suspension_settings/index8.html).I have my SV setup like they suggested and its great on the street.

If not, then take it to Dave, Ive always wanted him to setup mine and that guy is a suspension wiz!

VFR
Mon Sep 15th, 2008, 02:21 PM
What kind of coin does a suspension set up usually cost.

rybo
Mon Sep 15th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Get in touch with Dave for sure. I know when he's at the track he charges about $50 and that gets you some consultation for the day. Make a change, go out and try it and come back in to make another change.

IF you need parts, like a different rear spring or fork springs those are extra. In the case of some bikes the front and rear of the bike comes horribly set up from the factory. I know of one case where the back end was set up for about 180 lbs of rider and passenger and the front had springs for about 110 lbs. All in all getting it right is one of the best performance mods you can make.

s

asp_125
Mon Sep 15th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Anyone got a good link to suspension tuning? I set my SV and my Gixxer up to what some folks say is a good starting point (essentially the middle of adjustment ranges). But how do I know if it's optimum for my weight and riding ability? That is, without instrumentation or lap times to be able to tell, other than by feel?

I seem to recall an article someplace that says: if the rear feels like it's skipping on exit, do this, or if it's not turning in do that.
Even if I don't do it myself I want to be able to tell a tech intelligently I need more compression or rebound etc.

dragos13
Mon Sep 15th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Anyone got a good link to suspension tuning? I set my SV and my Gixxer up to what some folks say is a good starting point (essentially the middle of adjustment ranges). But how do I know if it's optimum for my weight and riding ability? That is, without instrumentation or lap times to be able to tell, other than by feel?

I seem to recall an article someplace that says: if the rear feels like it's skipping on exit, do this, or if it's not turning in do that.
Even if I don't do it myself I want to be able to tell a tech intelligently I need more compression or rebound etc.

When talking to a tech (such as Suspension Dave which I highly recommend) you want to tell them "the front is doing this or the rear is doing that" then the suspension tech can say if you need more rebound or less compression.

I have a book called "Sportbike Suspension Tuning" written by Andrew Trevitt. It is very much a beginner type book which covers all settings and how they affect your bike.

Jason ON
Mon Sep 15th, 2008, 05:11 PM
No question whatsoever...

get in touch with Dave Rose www.fixmybike.com (http://www.fixmybike.com)

it will yeild a well set up bike AND a great education in suspension adjustment and tuning. It might cost you a few bucks, but I promise you'll like the results.

Scott

I'll contact him but money's getting tight right now. Thanks,

guessinthe2000
Mon Sep 15th, 2008, 06:15 PM
if we can get 5 people we can have dave do our suspension over here at speer and colfax. LMK who is in. I got me any my buddy that are down to get this done so we need 3 more people

pilot
Tue Sep 16th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Shameless plug: Go buy the book Total Control. There are two excellent sections in there that will help you set up your suspension--not to mention all the riding tips. You can get our book at Barnes and Noble, etc. Nothing like having a bit of knowledge under your belt.

jimwallace
Tue Sep 16th, 2008, 08:36 AM
i have 2 bikes i want dave to do but they are both over at dallas's house minus fairings and tanks.

guessinthe2000
Wed Sep 17th, 2008, 11:07 PM
i have 2 bikes i want dave to do but they are both over at dallas's house minus fairings and tanks.

where is dallas house at? if is not so far from us we could probably go there...

Moveman
Thu Sep 18th, 2008, 10:49 AM
if we can get 5 people we can have dave do our suspension over here at speer and colfax. LMK who is in. I got me any my buddy that are down to get this done so we need 3 more people

Hey i'm down on this.. PM me some info if you can.

Sortarican
Thu Sep 18th, 2008, 11:10 AM
... In the case of some bikes the front and rear of the bike comes horribly set up from the factory..... All in all getting it right is one of the best performance mods you can make.

+1
My R6 came stock with front springs rated for 110lbs and a rear for 210lbs. (For 2-up riding)

Racetech front springs are a round $115 and easy to install. Best/Cheapest upgrade I've ever done to a bike.

+1 on Dave.
If/When I re-valve the front and replace the rear I'm definitely going to him for the tuning.

where is dallas house at? if is not so far from us we could probably go there...

Dallas is down in the Springs.
By all accounts he's an excellent welder, not sure if he does side jobs regularly, but I know he's helped a lot of friends out with their welding needs.

jimwallace
Thu Sep 18th, 2008, 12:53 PM
dallas is in the springs (as noted) i have a trailer so i can haul them wherever, but my concern is the weight difference without the fairings how much will that effect the setup.