PDA

View Full Version : Metallica - Real rockers or fart knockers?

Devaclis
Tue Sep 16th, 2008, 02:05 PM
I vote fart knockers. Really? What a bunch of hard core, anti-establishment, rockers!! Screw the man, unless you ARE the man!

Lars needs to have his man card revoked and replaced with a free panty of the month card from Victorias Secret. Douche bag!!

http://blog.wired.com/music/2008/09/universal-cance.html

Captain Obvious
Tue Sep 16th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Used to be hard. And anti- (fill in the blank)

Then they sold out. Not knocking him/them for objecting to stealing of their work, but haven't listened to them since he went all corporate.

REALLY pissed when James "hurt his back jet skiing" and they had to cancel shows. Good thing Kid Rock was there and picked up the baton and carried the concert (Summer Sanitarium in Atlanta back in 03? or so)

Devaclis
Tue Sep 16th, 2008, 02:13 PM
I am going to go and download their entire library, and not pay for it.

MetaLord 9
Tue Sep 16th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Pre Black Album - Rockers
Post Black Album - Knockers

salsashark
Tue Sep 16th, 2008, 02:16 PM
mehh... made it through about half of one of their new songs on my drive home last week... had to turn it off.

Good for them for being as successful as they are, but I think I'll stick to their early albums and pretend they broke up after "And Justice for All" ok maybe the Black Album, but that's it.

MetaLord 9
Tue Sep 16th, 2008, 02:16 PM
OH NOES!!! But how will Kirk Hammet fill up the tank on his Ferari??? How will James Hetfield be able to fly his private jet???? HOW WILL LARS ULRIC AFFORD MORE BOTOX AND PLASTIC SURGERY????????????

Captain Obvious
Tue Sep 16th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Even Willie Nelson is still sticking it to the man. James plays a white guitar? How hard core metal can you be on a white freaking guitar?

This is a rockers axe.
http://i4.tinypic.com/72h3xfl.jpg

This is a guitar for John Mayer when he sings Daughters to a bunch of swooning 13 year olds.
http://charliehoehn.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/metallica_9_-_east_rutherford_nj_102204_-_lg6635639.jpg

InlineSIX24
Tue Sep 16th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Lars= :slappers:

Captain Obvious
Tue Sep 16th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Good for them for being as successful as they are, but I think I'll stick to their early albums and pretend they broke up after "And Justice for All" ok maybe the Black Album, but that's it.

I am i the same boat, I like the black album, but it was definitely the beginning of the pussification of a hard core metal band.

Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire? :slappers:

salsashark
Tue Sep 16th, 2008, 02:23 PM
THEN:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f7/Metal_Up_Your_Ass_cover.jpg

NOW:
http://www.psychobabyonline.com/site/scpics/tmb/227/jpg_metallica.jpg

or better yet: :lol:
http://www.vgboxart.com/boxes/360/6318.jpg

Sortarican
Tue Sep 16th, 2008, 02:33 PM
4th generation metal......meh.....never much cared for it.

And 5th gen is complete crap.
They try to be hardcore by sleeving themselves in tattoos and holding the mike in their mouth while screaming Nazi slogans.

......epic tired.:jerkoff:

MetaLord 9
Tue Sep 16th, 2008, 02:36 PM
^^Lace and make up don't make metal.

Devaclis
Tue Sep 16th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Metallicrap

Vance
Tue Sep 16th, 2008, 02:56 PM

Now THAT sounds like a plan!
I'm with you Dana!

puckstr
Tue Sep 16th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Speed metal suck

Sortarican
Tue Sep 16th, 2008, 03:03 PM
^^Lace and make up don't make metal.

Supposedly it did in the 80's.
S&M....Spandex & Mousse.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1327/863537219_71f43675f5.jpg

MetaLord 9
Tue Sep 16th, 2008, 03:04 PM
^^This is Spinal Tap? (can't see the picture)

puckstr
Tue Sep 16th, 2008, 03:05 PM
What yo mouth

That is RATT

Sortarican
Tue Sep 16th, 2008, 03:08 PM
This is a rockers axe.

OK, so I have an explorer....in white.
http://dantheman1969.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/84-explorer-reissue.jpg

Is that a comment on the duality of the human condition?
(Or does it just make me hardcore gay?)

puckstr
Tue Sep 16th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Even Willie Nelson is still sticking it to the man. James plays a white guitar? How hard core metal can you be on a white freaking guitar?

This is a rockers axe.

This is a guitar for John Mayer when he sings Daughters to a bunch of swooning 13 year olds.
http://charliehoehn.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/metallica_9_-_east_rutherford_nj_102204_-_lg6635639.jpg

Not sure if I would go that far to crap on a Les Paul
I mean, come on Zak Wlyde played one
http://www.geocities.com/mark_apps/zakkwylde.jpg

TheStig
Tue Sep 16th, 2008, 04:03 PM
I guess Im the only one that likes the new cd then eh? I hated St. Anger and RE-load. Load was ok as was the black album. I actually just got tickets to see them because they are my alltime favorite band and I have never seen them. I really hope they play stuff from Master of Puppets and ...And justice for all.

Oh and I blame Bob Rock for their crappiness period...

jplracing
Tue Sep 16th, 2008, 04:13 PM
nah your not the only one that likes the new cd.

For what its worth the first song they released on the radio was the weakest one on the album

I have been a Metallica fan since the 7th grade. Everything after And Justice for All sucked. However on the new one I am glad they have tried to go back to there roots. They will never be as raw as they were in the 80s and early 90s, but the new album rocks

Now if Jeff, Dana and Chris would all stop listening to the back street boys Britteny Spears and the theme song to 7th heaven, they might actually hear some good music :lol:

:headbang:

King Nothing
Tue Sep 16th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Metallica Sucks.

jplracing
Tue Sep 16th, 2008, 04:19 PM
dougie...you hung out in the fine arts building didn't you?

bodhizafa
Tue Sep 16th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Sold out after ....And Justice for All. They just annoy me now.

Sortarican
Tue Sep 16th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Now if Jeff, Dana and Chris would all stop listening to the back street boys Britteny Spears and the theme song to 7th heaven, they might actually hear some good music ..

You listen here Sonny Jim.
I was PLAYING in metal bands when ye were still suckling at yer mother's teet!

(Play artist.....Tiffany....um ahhh...I mean UFO...yeah UFO!)

ChrisCBX
Tue Sep 16th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Just got the new Metallica. Haven't been able to listen to it all yet but there are some good riffs.

The new Motorhead is classic. Listen to it at Motorhead decibel volumes and it will cause drain bamage. Good stuff.:up::up:

SamuraiX
Tue Sep 16th, 2008, 08:56 PM
SANITARIUM! :headbang:

jplracing
Tue Sep 16th, 2008, 09:37 PM
You listen here Sonny Jim.
I was PLAYING in metal bands when ye were still suckling at yer mother's teet!

(Play artist.....Tiffany....um ahhh...I mean UFO...yeah UFO!)

Listen here old man, you might want to see a doctor cause you are starting to slip in your old age......My name is Joe not Jim

Jason ON
Tue Sep 16th, 2008, 10:12 PM
I agree with everyone who said Metallica sold out. When Lars went before congress to outlaw illegal file sharing he proved he didn't care about the music or the fans, but rather the profits. He became the poster-boy for corporate greed. I haven't listened to them since.

King Nothing
Tue Sep 16th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Metallica FAIL

Mental
Tue Sep 16th, 2008, 10:24 PM
I am i the same boat, I like the black album, but it was definitely the beginning of the pussification of a hard core metal band.

Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire? :slappers:
You can't fault a band for evolving. They all went back to school. They studied classic literature and cut their hair. If they kept making albums that sounded the same, they'd be AC/DC.

I do agree that there more recent stuff hasn't grabbed me the same way as the rawness of "I GOT SOMETHING TO SAY...!" but dammit, Fuel is a great freeking song.

TheStig
Wed Sep 17th, 2008, 07:52 AM
I guess I generally just dont give a shit what a band does off stage. If I like their music then I listen. Hell I hate Marilyn Manson but love some of his music. Dope show is a great cd. I think its just fun to jump on the Metallica sold out wagon, same with the Green day sold out wagon. Who gives a shit they make good music??? Thats not a personal attack on anyone, simply my opinion.

Devaclis
Wed Sep 17th, 2008, 08:08 AM
nah your not the only one that likes the new cd.

For what its worth the first song they released on the radio was the weakest one on the album

I have been a Metallica fan since the 7th grade. Everything after And Justice for All sucked. However on the new one I am glad they have tried to go back to there roots. They will never be as raw as they were in the 80s and early 90s, but the new album rocks

Now if Jeff, Dana and Chris would all stop listening to the back street boys Britteny Spears and the theme song to 7th heaven, they might actually hear some good music :lol:

:headbang:

I am rockin' out to some Clay Aiken!! Backstreet is awright.

Mother Goose
Wed Sep 17th, 2008, 08:18 AM
I like this quote.... "There's nothing to discuss. That fact that Sydsvenskan has a writer that has downloaded this music illegally and then makes mention of an illegal site in his review is totally unacceptable to us."

Ummm if he had looked into the laws, it's not illegal to download it. :lol: .........douche

puckstr
Wed Sep 17th, 2008, 08:18 AM
I am rockin' out to some Clay Aiken!! BackDOOR is awright.

fixed it for ya:slappers:

Raptor
Wed Sep 17th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Metallica died after "And Justice..." as far as I'm concerned. That was the untimate peak of their evolution. From there it has been steady digression. Shit, I remember the world premier of "Enter Sandman" and about a minute in we all thought it was a joke! As in MTV was playing some kind of prank!
So sad though...every album they put out was a definite progression beyond the album before it...until the Crack album.

The new stuff is clearly Rick Rubin whipping them like sled dogs, trying to get them back on track.

This is what makes or breaks a band, and definitely what broke them. When Metallica was hungry, and had something to fight toward, they actually related to what the hell they talked and played about and busted their asses to convey that message.
Once they have nothing to work for, the hunger is lost, and the music reflects it. Now, in their case I would say that once certain members start ammassing collections of bullshit, pretentious, $40,000.00 nuovo art, or when marriage counseling comes into play, freakin' let it die with dignity.

Sortarican
Wed Sep 17th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Once they have nothing to work for, the hunger is lost, and the music reflects it....

That right there is the fact of the matter.

After becoming nouveau rich very few bands/artists can really produce the same visceral feel they had when they were struggling.

Only a handful that I can think of (Beatles, Floyd, Stones, maybe U2) ever accomplished it.
And even then they had to reinvent themselves and their sound evolved into something very different than what it was when they started out.

ghostrider_9
Wed Sep 17th, 2008, 12:08 PM
I know that they seemed to have sold out. I can give that much, but back in the mid to late 80's (yes, I know I'm dating myself) they were the cutting edge of rock! In fact, their earlier music was so influential that the young kids today still sing the songs . . . sell outs - yeah, but you have to give them credit for what they did early on. They truly were pioneers and went againast the mainstay of what music was at the time . . . just my $.02

Mental
Wed Sep 17th, 2008, 12:28 PM
It seems everyone wants to jump on them for not being as hardcore as when they first came out, well hell who of us are as hardcore as we were 20, even 10 years ago? A night of drinking now requires me to set up an itinerary, cancell the next days appiontments, and ensure I have hangover remedies availible. It used to start with "Hey lets grab a beer" and end with me showing up at work the next day in the same clothes as the day before.

On the upside, I don't drink shit anymore becuase I have (some) money now. Sell-out? Oh hell yeah, you bet. Music is no exception. You what they say about 25 and 35. If you're not fighting the system at 25, you have no heart, if you're not a part of the system at 35, you have no brain.

Who here has that friend in their late 30's still acting like they are 25, working another in a series of dead end jobs until they quit or get fired and call you a sell out becuase you have responsibilites? That guys not hardcore, he's pathetic. Granted you may not like what they are doing now, but if Metallica sounded exactly the same as the 80's, they would suck.

Sortarican
Wed Sep 17th, 2008, 12:49 PM
..Who here has that friend in their late 30's still acting like they are 25, working another in a series of dead end jobs until they quit or get fired and call you a sell out becuase you have responsibilites? That guys not hardcore, he's pathetic.....

Hey, I resent that remark.
I'm so gonna kick your ass.:cussing:

(.... as soon as I move outta my Mom's basement.)

Raptor
Wed Sep 17th, 2008, 01:06 PM
It seems everyone wants to jump on them for not being as hardcore as when they first came out, well hell who of us are as hardcore as we were 20, even 10 years ago?

A night of drinking now requires me to set up an itinerary, cancell the next days appiontments, and ensure I have hangover remedies availible. It used to start with "Hey lets grab a beer" and end with me showing up at work the next day in the same clothes as the day before.

On the upside, I don't drink shit anymore becuase I have (some) money now. Sell-out? Oh hell yeah, you bet. Music is no exception. You what they say about 25 and 35. If you're not fighting the system at 25, you have no heart, if you're not a part of the system at 35, you have no brain.

Who here has that friend in their late 30's still acting like they are 25, working another in a series of dead end jobs until they quit or get fired and call you a sell out becuase you have responsibilites? That guys not hardcore, he's pathetic. Granted you may not like what they are doing now, but if Metallica sounded exactly the same as the 80's, they would suck.

I'm just speaking for me but I never said anything about them needing to sound as hardcore as they were back when. My opinion is based on the fact that they actually digressed. Seriously, in the way of composition, lead and rhythm work, drums without any shadow of doubt, intensity, etc. At the most critical, pivotal point in their collective musicianship, they took a sharp 180 and set it on perpetual cruise control.
I'm more hardcore (music wise) than I was 20 years ago and at least as much as 10 ago... and I have the studio recordings and a national tour to back it up. My tastes and interests have definitely broadened but in the big picture of what I listen to and 85% of what I play, I jam as heavy as it gets. Of course, I'm also a 4.0 GPA college student working on my bachelor's. I'm 36 now. Yeah, I got a late start but I'm young as hell at heart. That does not equate in any way to irresponsible, immature, or in need of growing up in any way. It just means my tastes haven't changed much in the way of music and I guarantee that if I'm playing it, I'm playing it to brutal crowds, even today. Thass jus' me tho.

'Nother quick point: It's not like we're talking about Ozzy or Dio here, which with 20 years lead, are both still rocking as hard as they did before Metallica hit the world. We're talking about Metallica. They are an icon of thrash metal, if not the icon. Consider Testament. Another iconic Bay Area thrash scene band from the same era. They actually at one point, had Kirk Hammet guitaring for them. Anyhow, They have actually gotten heavier and heavier with each album and still put em out every year and tour them. That's after their vocalist survived brain cancer too. So to somehow accept (it's everyone's individual right to of course but...) that they are busier covering Bob Seger than they are at kicking ass, taking names and basically being...Metallica, is sacrilege to what I grew up knowing them as.

TheStig
Wed Sep 17th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Again...thanks Mr. Bob Rock. You suck!

ChrisCBX
Wed Sep 17th, 2008, 02:01 PM
[quote=Raptor;357226]'Nother quick point: It's not like we're talking about Ozzy or Dio here, which with 20 years lead, are both still rocking as hard as they did before Metallica hit the world. [quote]

So true.:)

Some guys just have it in their soul. I've seen Ozzy and Dio in concert more times than I'd like to admit and they still great.

I say listen to the music that you enjoy. If you like old Metallica over new then listen to the old. Time waits for no man and maybe age has mellowed some rockers a bit more than others. There is always up and coming indie bands to listen to as well as the bigger names. Hard rock isn't dead yet.

Nick_Ninja
Wed Sep 17th, 2008, 11:11 PM
There are more players that pick a Gibson Les Paul than any other ax. Les Paul's are the sound that others are judged by --- period.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/Nick_Ninja/Gibsons.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/Nick_Ninja/GibsonLP.jpg

CaptGoodvibes
Thu Sep 18th, 2008, 12:44 AM
The ...And Justice For All tour was the last one I liked. Saw them twice on the Black Album tour and once for Load but by then, I was done.

Master Of Puppets was their high point IMO.

TheStig
Thu Sep 18th, 2008, 06:05 PM
I dont know Im listening to All Nightmare long and its got me headbanging at my laptop haha.

DanFZ1
Thu Sep 18th, 2008, 06:26 PM

... but seriously, why would you ...

Their entire collection would take up valuable storage space which could be put to better use by storing music of some kind.

Don't punish yourself.

Download At the Drive In - Relationship of Command :hump: and relive the year 2000. I seem to remember having a great deal of optimism about how kick ass the more hard core stuff was going to be back then.

If I thought that "Lars Online" was what the future of Rock would bring me, I would have bought an acoustic guitar and beat my own head in.

SLVRSURFR
Thu Sep 18th, 2008, 07:06 PM
I vote fart knockers. Really? What a bunch of hard core, anti-establishment, rockers!! Screw the man, unless you ARE the man!

Lars needs to have his man card revoked and replaced with a free panty of the month card from Victorias Secret. Douche bag!!

http://blog.wired.com/music/2008/09/universal-cance.html

Yeah, unless they come out with something that'll knock our socks off soon, stick a fork in them... Disturbed seems to be the Kings of the killer Guitar riffs and licks these days..

The Black Knight
Thu Sep 18th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Yeah, unless they come out with something that'll knock our socks off soon, stick a fork in them... Disturbed seems to be the Kings of the killer Guitar riffs and licks these days..

Only in America, and I would venture to say there are alot heavier bands in America that are way heavier than Disturbed.

But if you're looking for rib crushing riffs, look no further that european Power Metal or Death Metal. Some Black Metal bands have heavy riffs but for the most part they play to fast to make any kind of thunder with their guitars.

Oh and if you want heavy American metal, might I recommend none other than:
ICED EARTH or Demons and Wizards(both bands have Jon Schaffer as the guitarist both rhythm and lead).

here you go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM4CDLmDx_Y
or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXpWjPNAA-w

SLVRSURFR
Thu Sep 18th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Only in America, and I would venture to say there are alot heavier bands in America that are way heavier than Disturbed.

But if you're looking for rib crushing riffs, look no further that european Power Metal or Death Metal. Some Black Metal bands have heavy riffs but for the most part they play to fast to make any kind of thunder with their guitars.

Oh and if you want heavy American metal, might I recommend none other than:
ICED EARTH or Demons and Wizards(both bands have Jon Schaffer as the guitarist both rhythm and lead).

here you go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM4CDLmDx_Y

I'll have to check that out.. Disturbed is like the "Commercial" version of Metal, but yes, by far not the heaviest..

The Black Knight
Thu Sep 18th, 2008, 07:28 PM
I'll have to check that out.. Disturbed is like the "Commercial" version of Metal, but yes, by far not the heaviest..

true, very true. Though I think 5 Fingered Death Punch is fairly heavy too, as well as Mudvayne, Slipknot and Godsmack. However, Godsmack being the lightest of those.

I always though Ozzy had some great guitarist myself, especially Zakk Wylde. He always has heavy riffs.

And we can't rule out the all time KING of heavy metal Mr. Tony Iommi. Some of his solo stuff is very heavy, and it's mainly his tuning. Using a low C to achieve his thunderous riffs.

smobag
Thu Sep 18th, 2008, 07:36 PM
their music always blew ass. they were just a bunch of money huggers. sell outs too.

ChrisCBX
Thu Sep 18th, 2008, 10:23 PM
And we can't rule out the all time KING of heavy metal Mr. Tony Iommi.

Saw him again last year. He is a multi-millionaire that never mellowed with money and age.:)

Mental
Thu Sep 18th, 2008, 11:04 PM
I'm just speaking for me but I never said anything about them needing to sound as hardcore as they were back when. My opinion is based on the fact that they actually digressed. Seriously, in the way of composition, lead and rhythm work, drums without any shadow of doubt, intensity, etc. At the most critical, pivotal point in their collective musicianship, they took a sharp 180 and set it on perpetual cruise control.
I'm more hardcore (music wise) than I was 20 years ago and at least as much as 10 ago... and I have the studio recordings and a national tour to back it up. My tastes and interests have definitely broadened but in the big picture of what I listen to and 85% of what I play, I jam as heavy as it gets. Of course, I'm also a 4.0 GPA college student working on my bachelor's. I'm 36 now. Yeah, I got a late start but I'm young as hell at heart. That does not equate in any way to irresponsible, immature, or in need of growing up in any way. It just means my tastes haven't changed much in the way of music and I guarantee that if I'm playing it, I'm playing it to brutal crowds, even today. Thass jus' me tho.

'Nother quick point: It's not like we're talking about Ozzy or Dio here, which with 20 years lead, are both still rocking as hard as they did before Metallica hit the world. We're talking about Metallica. They are an icon of thrash metal, if not the icon. Consider Testament. Another iconic Bay Area thrash scene band from the same era. They actually at one point, had Kirk Hammet guitaring for them. Anyhow, They have actually gotten heavier and heavier with each album and still put em out every year and tour them. That's after their vocalist survived brain cancer too. So to somehow accept (it's everyone's individual right to of course but...) that they are busier covering Bob Seger than they are at kicking ass, taking names and basically being...Metallica, is sacrilege to what I grew up knowing them as.
Fair enough, and obviously you have more musical knowledge than I do. I do think lyrically they have done some cool stuff recently.

As for the college thing, I went to school full time at 30 myself, so I get it. No, that makes no one immature, in fact going to any school, college or trade at any age implies exactly the opposite, I was talking about the guy who builds his (or her) life around partying.

And again, I realize I am way outta my league, but that last Dio relase was absolute total crap. Oh dear god what a collection of pandering tired lyrics (ooooh lookit me, I like the devile wooooo) and just lame rifs. Please, The Outfield was more hardcore at the El Paso County fair. Now, Ozzy may still have it in the the studio, but when I see him on stage I honestly feel sorry for him. I get why he does it, and bless him for still doing it. But his case, its not the age, its the mileage and his shows are just not that great. But, I am also not as passionate as you are about my metal. I was, but that became an interest in punk, then new age and electronica and I picked up a few favs from each form along the way I still like. I am not a musician, so lyrics tend to grab me more than rifs.

Someone else mentioned it earlier in the thread, I did discover At The Drive In a few years back, and yeah, that stuff is great. Testament was never my bag, even in my deepest Madien T-Shirt mullet sporting days, so I can't say anything to that.

You have come to a well reasoned position based on a style and tatse you developed early on, and you have the advantage of being a musician. You have compared Metallica's evolution to that of several other bands of the same ilk and deicied they have not gone with the same formula that originally made you a fan. I just get annoyed with everyone hating a group becuase they don't sound the same, and I hate the bandwagoners who always have such a nasty backlash for a band they once liked.

SLVRSURFR
Thu Sep 18th, 2008, 11:42 PM
true, very true. Though I think 5 Fingered Death Punch is fairly heavy too, as well as Mudvayne, Slipknot and Godsmack. However, Godsmack being the lightest of those.

I always though Ozzy had some great guitarist myself, especially Zakk Wylde. He always has heavy riffs.

And we can't rule out the all time KING of heavy metal Mr. Tony Iommi. Some of his solo stuff is very heavy, and it's mainly his tuning. Using a low C to achieve his thunderous riffs.

You know, Slayer always had some real Cool riffs as well.. Angel Of Death, South Of Heaven.. And i'm not just talking about the "Heaviest", but also the hardest and the most catchy.. Sum 41, "Pain For Pleasure", Megadeth, "Angry Again" You Know...:rock:

Gainer
Thu Sep 18th, 2008, 11:52 PM
4th generation metal......meh.....never much cared for it.

Wow!!! your old!! What is 1st generation metal?

Raptor
Fri Sep 19th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Good points made. Especially on the one regarding people slamming bands for not staying the same forever. I would be in hell if I were expected to write or play the same as I did 10 or more years ago. A musician has got to evolve. Sometimes it means evolving right out of the original genre. It happens, sometimes to people's liking and sometimes not so. Either way, the one thing that kills me more than anything is when digression of musicianship is painfully apparent. In other words, I can't stand when they get lazy and lose their drive.

I'll definitely be listening to the new Metallica with an open mind. I expect to hear at least some difference with Rick Rubin producing.

In all fairness, I didn't catch the last Dio release but I did get to hang out with him for a day and then ride with him and his crew to Boulder for a show. That was...I wanna say...99 or 00?? Can't temember but I was amazed at how much zeal and energy he offered live to his old and new stuff.
Ozzy...I have to admit that 3 of the last 4 times I saw him weren't exactly explosive as far as his personal performance. The band as a whole can't miss with his lineup but it's always a gamble as to how on Ozzy himself will be. Last time I saw him at this most recent Ozzfest he was really on his game and on point with his vocals... and I must say I was freaking impressed. I was all grins the whole show seeing him throw it down like he would have 15 years ago. For his age and all he's been through for the sake of who adn what he is, he doesn't quit and he gives it everything he has. Iif Ozzy's game is lacking, it's only because the guy has twice the road and life miles as most bands still going. In Metallica's case, I can't say exactly why they decided to backslide (Bob Rock didn't help things one bit) but it is simply not because they've been around the block and weathered the times that the likes of Ozzy has.

BTW, LOLZ @ The Outfield. :rock::lol:

Peace buddy.

G.

Fair enough, and obviously you have more musical knowledge than I do. I do think lyrically they have done some cool stuff recently.

As for the college thing, I went to school full time at 30 myself, so I get it. No, that makes no one immature, in fact going to any school, college or trade at any age implies exactly the opposite, I was talking about the guy who builds his (or her) life around partying.

And again, I realize I am way outta my league, but that last Dio relase was absolute total crap. Oh dear god what a collection of pandering tired lyrics (ooooh lookit me, I like the devile wooooo) and just lame rifs. Please, The Outfield was more hardcore at the El Paso County fair. Now, Ozzy may still have it in the the studio, but when I see him on stage I honestly feel sorry for him. I get why he does it, and bless him for still doing it. But his case, its not the age, its the mileage and his shows are just not that great. But, I am also not as passionate as you are about my metal. I was, but that became an interest in punk, then new age and electronica and I picked up a few favs from each form along the way I still like. I am not a musician, so lyrics tend to grab me more than rifs.

Someone else mentioned it earlier in the thread, I did discover At The Drive In a few years back, and yeah, that stuff is great. Testament was never my bag, even in my deepest Madien T-Shirt mullet sporting days, so I can't say anything to that.

You have come to a well reasoned position based on a style and tatse you developed early on, and you have the advantage of being a musician. You have compared Metallica's evolution to that of several other bands of the same ilk and deicied they have not gone with the same formula that originally made you a fan. I just get annoyed with everyone hating a group becuase they don't sound the same, and I hate the bandwagoners who always have such a nasty backlash for a band they once liked.

Raptor
Fri Sep 19th, 2008, 12:19 AM
Wow!!! your old!! What is 1st generation metal?

I wasn't there (waaaay too young) but Sortarican was...he'll tell ya: "the first generation metal was bronze. Why do you think they called it the Bronze Age, sonny?" :turtle:

DanFZ1
Fri Sep 19th, 2008, 11:57 AM
1st generation metal was Iron Butterfly, Jimi Hendrix and the James Gang. :hump:
These are the people that first learned how to take distortion and sculpt it into music.

txrc51fatboy
Sun Sep 28th, 2008, 01:18 AM
when cliff died, metallica died, period.
they have been a joke since master of puppets

MikeG
Sun Sep 28th, 2008, 01:56 AM
Loooooser fart knockers, can't even listen to the new song, it sucks!