PDA

View Full Version : ? on tighten the chain.

usmcab35
Tue Sep 16th, 2008, 03:00 PM
hey so i know how to tighten one, thats not the ?. I know this sounds redneck but im half mexican so i that isnt the word for it but i need to get the rear of the bike in the air and i dont have a stand or spools... Really need to tighten the chain, but not really looking to buy all of that yet... Any ideas???? :siesta:

Aracheon
Tue Sep 16th, 2008, 03:02 PM
You can use a floor jack on the rear of the engine, or use an engine hoist to pull it up from the subframe. OR - borrow someone's rear stand that has 'pads'. OR - come out to my house and we can tighten the chain in my shop.

Devaclis
Tue Sep 16th, 2008, 03:04 PM
You don't have to elevate the read wheel to tighten the chain. It can be done while on the sidestand.

rybo
Tue Sep 16th, 2008, 03:07 PM
You don't have to elevate the read wheel to tighten the chain. It can be done while on the sidestand.

dana beat me to it, it can be done, but you have to pay extra attention to assuring that the wheel is straight. Get the adjusters set perfectly, then push or pull the axle to the adjusters before tightening the axle.

Good luck!

s

usmcab35
Tue Sep 16th, 2008, 03:39 PM
thanks..... i have to give the side stand way a try. if not i be hitting you up chris... and by "shop" do you mean the stuff the folds out of your saddle bags... or do you really have a shop????lol sorry couldnt help myself

Aracheon
Tue Sep 16th, 2008, 03:44 PM
thanks..... i have to give the side stand way a try. if not i be hitting you up chris... and by "shop" do you mean the stuff the folds out of your saddle bags... or do you really have a shop????lol sorry couldnt help myself

I really have a shop. :slap:

usmcab35
Tue Sep 16th, 2008, 03:45 PM
o wasnt sure i had to check... guess you left out the moblie part for a reason...

Aracheon
Tue Sep 16th, 2008, 03:46 PM
o wasnt sure i had to check... guess you left out the moblie part for a reason...

At the moment, the only thing in my saddlebags is a pair of shoes, a button-up shirt, my clear faceshield, a small child, and a full bar.

MattTLS
Tue Sep 16th, 2008, 03:46 PM
If the swingarm pivot or rear axle is hollow, put something like all-thread, rebar, etc., through and lift with jackstands.

usmcab35
Tue Sep 16th, 2008, 03:49 PM
At the moment, the only thing in my saddlebags is a pair of shoes, a button-up shirt, my clear faceshield, a small child, and a full bar.

all of that and you havent put the mobile shop because?????

Aracheon
Tue Sep 16th, 2008, 04:02 PM
I wouldn't have room for the bar.

usmcab35
Tue Sep 16th, 2008, 04:05 PM
well by saying " at the moment the ONLY THING in my saddle bags is."... makes it sound like you might even have enough room for a hot tub...

daemon
Wed Sep 17th, 2008, 05:55 AM
or do the "redneck version" as i do.

go to the local hardware store and find the right size bolt to go into the holes where the spools are supposed to go.
then run your :turtle: self down to harbor freight and pick up some jack stands.
prop the riders right onto the stand and pressure the kickstand side up and slip the other stand into place.

works for me!!!

you can't really see the stand too well in this pic,but you get the idea!!!
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/1650/p6110001lo7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

bodhizafa
Wed Sep 17th, 2008, 10:27 AM
or do the "redneck version" as i do.

go to the local hardware store and find the right size bolt to go into the holes where the spools are supposed to go.
then run your :turtle: self down to harbor freight and pick up some jack stands.
prop the riders right onto the stand and pressure the kickstand side up and slip the other stand into place.

works for me!!!

Ha, I used to do the same thing because I already had some jack stand things. I must have gotten some cheap bolts though because they started to bend after a bit.

But I did finally drop some money on a rear stand, feel free to borrow it if you need it.

usmcab35
Wed Sep 17th, 2008, 01:56 PM
thanks for all the help, i tried doing it on the kick stand and that worked flawless.. only thing i did was loosen a little and then put a bar between the swingarm and the tire and it moved back with little to no effort. Gave it a test drive drivin down to boston's last night and it is nice and solid and no loose chain noise when shifting.... thanks again everyone for the advice..

dm_gsxr
Wed Sep 17th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Missed this yesterday. Just FYI, I have a rearstand (spool and spoolless) and I'm in Broomfield if you need help another time :)

Carl

usmcab35
Wed Sep 17th, 2008, 02:46 PM
ill keep that in mind carl if i need help in future... i think i just need to get a catolog and make a huge list of stuff to buy...

pilot
Wed Sep 17th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Just as a pass-on, don't place your full trust in the index marks. It is better to measure back to the same points on both sides, or better yet, do a string alignment, (the index mark distances can vary due to manufacturing of the swing arm welds).

dragos13
Wed Sep 17th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Another note, make sure the chain isn't too tight. This can stop the swing arm from having full movement.