PDA

View Full Version : Cracking sound in front end ?

BlueDevil
Wed Jun 4th, 2003, 03:30 PM
This problem has existed from the day I bought the R1. When I hit the front brakes I have a cracking sound going on. It doesnt do it any other time. I asked the dealer and they said its fork seals from doing wheelies. IDIOT it was like that out of the crate. Im just wondering if it could be something that needs to be looked at or what this could be? I have checked all the nuts and bolts to make sure the toque was to spec and nothing was loose. What else can I try? Shoud I look for anything specific or just let them charge me to fix a problem that may not be broken? Thanks for any advice......

Ytry2
Wed Jun 4th, 2003, 04:42 PM
mine came from the clip on pinch bolts
*yea Jim remember the Minturn loop incident?*

My pinich bolt came out while following behind Milehigh, went into a right hand corner, pushed to counter steer, clipon turned but the bike kept going straight, so did some body steering and slowed down to see that i had only the bolt that holds the clipon to the upper tripple holding my clipon on :o
yea Good times :D

BlueDevil
Thu Jun 5th, 2003, 06:12 AM
They are located on the lower part of the tree?

Ytry2
Thu Jun 5th, 2003, 10:18 AM
They are located on the lower part of the tree?
my clip on were mounted uder the top tripple tree.
however look at them all, the lower tripple, clip ons and upper tripple..

BlueDevil
Sat Jun 21st, 2003, 02:44 PM
FIXED!!!!!!!

Head bearings were loose. Got the front end off the ground. Took off the tripple top clamp. Tightened the head bearings to spec, put it back together and BAM!!!! Perfect. No more cracking, no more looooosssssseeeeeyyyyy goosey front end. Tight as can be and silent. Thanks to all the fellas that helped in the wrench session today. Took no time at all and I had a good time doing it.

Also got my EBC HH's installed. Those with my GR Braided lines HOLLY Sh#t!!!!! Bout tossed me over the screen.
Set my sag in the rear, and stiffened the front end suspention up a bit. Feels like a different bike. More stable, quicker stops, smooth trasition from side to side. I love it!!!!! Little more work on the front suspention and a damper and Im ready to rock.

gixxerjarhead
Sat Jun 21st, 2003, 05:07 PM
Iwas gonna sugest to tighten that then i read that u fixed it :D

dgoldan
Sun Jun 22nd, 2003, 04:25 PM
FIXED!!!!!!!

Head bearings were loose. Got the front end off the ground. Took off the tripple top clamp. Tightened the head bearings to spec, put it back together and BAM!!!!

Just out of curiosity, what year is your R-1? I'm starting to get a small shimmy at 55 on my 2000 and was wondering if it could be head bearings as well. Only 6k miles, but who knows?

Dan

BlueDevil
Sun Jun 22nd, 2003, 05:45 PM
I have an 02 R1 8K miles on it. Head bearings were pretty wobbly from day 1. The bike is 110% better. No cracking sound. No wobble, firm smotth turning. Took longer to get the bike in the air than to fix the problem. CO Powersports wanted 120.00 to do that 30 minute job. Screw that!!!! Im glad I had a few friends to help me get it into the air so I saved plenty of $$$$$. We used a floor jack under the headers tightened the bearings with the spanner wrench on the tool kit and put it back together. Good or better than new.

BTW: EBC HH pads are amazing!!!!!

Hoopty
Mon Jun 23rd, 2003, 04:16 PM

Hell yeah!!! I put those on with some SS lines at the same time I got my pipe/air filter/jet kit. I was so excited about the pipe and stuff that I forgot I did some brake work. Just about flipped her over the front the first time a grabbed a handful of brake! :shock: :D

haywood jablome
Mon Jun 23rd, 2003, 05:06 PM
yeah Hoopty knows about those cracking sounds comming from bikes!!!!

Hoopty
Mon Jun 23rd, 2003, 07:54 PM
Hey now... Besides, that was coming from the rear of the bike! :D

haywood jablome
Mon Jun 23rd, 2003, 08:41 PM
you know i had to give you crap!!! So when is the next meeting for SSgt Hoopty's wheelie school? I know there was more intrest after i told everyone where i was and what i was doing.

BlueDevil
Tue Jun 24th, 2003, 05:59 AM

Hell yeah!!! I put those on with some SS lines at the same time I got my pipe/air filter/jet kit. I was so excited about the pipe and stuff that I forgot I did some brake work. Just about flipped her over the front the first time a grabbed a handful of brake! :shock: :D

Shoot I only grabbed a healthy amount of 2 fingers on the lever and it damn near tossed me over. Now that I have put some miles on they are even better. It was outstanding with GR lines and stock pads. Now I dont know what to call it. Its funny we all invest so much in making the bikes look like we like and go faster, that many forget U still have to slow that rocket down. :o For a couple hundred dollars I would say the best money spent so far was in brakes. (Well and good tires)

Hoopty
Tue Jun 24th, 2003, 11:28 AM
Chad, not sure on the next school, maybe when I have MY OWN bike to wreck. :lol:

Blue- I tell you what! Alot of people are only worried about more speed- they don't even notice their brakes "suck" until they ride on something with a little brake work. :shock: I never realized my SV's brakes needed help until I rode a friend's F4i. Shortly after I had the EBC HH pads and SS lines on, and life was better. :D In the future sometime I'd like to go even farther and get some better calipers...

cryptman
Tue Jun 24th, 2003, 11:30 AM
Where are you guys purchasing the EBC brakes and SS lines from??

BlueDevil
Tue Jun 24th, 2003, 11:44 AM
Best price on EBC HH is www.parts411.com. 25.00 each. I cant find a better price retail or net.

Hoopty
Tue Jun 24th, 2003, 11:55 AM
Give Scott a call over at TFOG, tell him Dave sent you. :D I think they charge about $25 each caliper for the HH pads, not sure on the SS lines. No shipping charges though. :up:

303 216 2400

BlueDevil
Tue Jun 24th, 2003, 12:06 PM
and if he can beat 25.00 per set.............stock up cause its a deal!!

Bryce
Tue Jun 24th, 2003, 09:44 PM
definatly talk to Jim and Scott at tfog