PDA

View Full Version : What would a top end rebuild on a 99 R6 cost?

peteremsley
Thu Sep 18th, 2008, 08:53 PM
My R6 is some blowing smoke :( Mainly on acceleration from what I'm told. Its also drinking quite a bit of oil.

I'm pretty sure I could take it apart, do rings it myself and have the head worked over by someone else. I'm just not sure if I want to. Are there any special tools involved, etc?

If I don't do it myself, does anyone have thoughts on how much a top end job should cost, and who (local) might be best to do it? I can certainly wait for winter.

thanks,
peter.

FZRguy
Thu Sep 18th, 2008, 11:15 PM
I did a top-end rebuild on my FZR last winter…all new valves and oversized pistons/rings. Def pull the head and take it to a motorcycle oriented machine shop. Take the cylinder and pistons too so they can check piston to wall wear. A shop manual is a must! I spent about $800 in parts and another $350 worth of machine work. It’s a lot of work, but you can do it. And there’s no one that will take the time and care you do on your own bike! Check out http://www.flatoutmotorcycles.com/ (http://www.flatoutmotorcycles.com/) for parts at 20% over dealer cost. Jim at Racers Edge in Lakewood did my head and machine work. I trust him with anything and his prices are very reasonable.

peteremsley
Fri Sep 19th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the reply John. Thats not too bad for being completely new from the pistons up.

I have the yamaha factory manual - is that what you used?

I think I'll probably give it a go over the winter.

dragos13
Fri Sep 19th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Peter sorry to hear about the motor. Have you thought about finding a used motor and just dropping that in? Unless you plan on building for more HP or keeping the bike for several more years to come, you might be better off just finding a used motor from a street bike. Probably get one for around $500 maybe then its an easy swap. Let me know if I can help you at all.

Sortarican
Fri Sep 19th, 2008, 09:56 AM
I'd check into what's causing the smoke.
If the valve train is good you might just need rings or pistons and rings.

rybo
Fri Sep 19th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Based on what I saw (smoke on acceleration) I'm guessing a set of rings would do it.

Sortarican
Fri Sep 19th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Based on what I saw (smoke on acceleration) I'm guessing a set of rings would do it.

If that's the case:
Rings $70
Head Gasket $30

$100 and you're smoke free.

FZRguy
Fri Sep 19th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Oil could be leaking via the valve seals. You may be able to determine which with a compression tester and the procedure described in the service manual. Or have shop like Faster do a leak-down test, which is better anyway and go from there.

peteremsley
Fri Sep 19th, 2008, 05:16 PM
I have all the gear to do a compression and leak down test, so I guess I'll start there, and see what hisses. If Scott is right, and rings fix it, I'll be a very happy camper (and noob racer next year :bananna:).