PDA

View Full Version : Racing in 09

newyork1
Sun Sep 21st, 2008, 09:00 AM
I was thinkin about racin my 1k next season for sure and wanted to know if it would be a good idea. I know more people ride the 6's and there would more challenges but it's a money thing too. I have a bike that I can change into one. What do you think?

slayermd
Sun Sep 21st, 2008, 04:29 PM
Do it!!!!

Buddau
Sun Sep 21st, 2008, 05:01 PM
It would be better if you sold the 1k and bought a race prepped 600.

racedk6
Sun Sep 21st, 2008, 08:32 PM
I prepped my 1000 and went out for the first time ever this past race. I didnt have a problem. I just hated waiting all day to do the last race on Sunday.

Aracheon
Sun Sep 21st, 2008, 08:43 PM
One of the more prominent things about riding a litrebike as a novice is that you're limited as to the classes you can run, whereas there are more opportunities for seat time on a 600.

rybo
Mon Sep 22nd, 2008, 07:29 AM
Racing a 1K as a novice is a real challenge and may not be the BEST route you can go. If you have a streetbike already and want to prep it up to go racing, well, you're going to find that it's pretty expensive.

A list of things you'll need:

Case covers
steering damper (unless it's already got one)
bodywork
safety wire every fluid retaining bolt.

A list of things you definately want:

Braided brake lines
a better rear shock
proper springs in your front fork
better brake pads

All in all you'll probably spend close to the same amount prepping your streetbike as you would spend buying a pre-raced 600.

Will you be as fast on an older 600 as on your current 1K? Probably not, but in the end horsepower isn't the key to going faster. Selling your 1K and buying something like this

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25998

will make you be a much better rider for a number of reason.

1) you won't be able to count on HP to save you if you make a mistake and get a little behind

2) You'll get to race a lot of classes

3) You'll save a ton of money because it won't shred tires every 18 minutes. (so you can sign up for more classes)

As a novice with a 1K you'll be able to race Novice GTO and Amateur GTO, Open Endurance

With a 600 - Novice GTU, AM GTU, NOV GTO, AM GTO, Middleweight and Heavy weight endurance, (2X as many classes)

With a SV - Novice GTU, Am GTU, Nov GTO, AM GTO, LW eudurace, Middle weight endurance. Then if you go a few races and prove yourself the MRA will likely allow you to enter a couple of expert classes - Lightweight GP and Supertwins GTO and GTU. It is these last three classes where I think you'll probably learn the most. Most of the riders in these classes are excellent riders and are happy to show you line, or help you get up to speed. The grids are smaller, so you'll have a little more track to yourself and have some competition that isn't going to die trying to win.

Making a slower bike go fast - Wicked fun and a big challenge
Making a fasy bike go slow- easier than you can possible imagine and pretty frustrating.

Hope that helps

Scott

p.s. I've been racing against that SV listed above all year and it's a good bike. On top of that Ray is a good guy who has taken care of it.

dragos13
Mon Sep 22nd, 2008, 10:05 AM
I agree with selling the 1000 and getting an already prepped 600.

You will feel more comfortable with less power and a lighter bike. Also you get to run many more classes. Converting a street bike to race is very expensive, you can usually get one race prepped for around or maybe even cheaper then the same model is in street trim. I started last year novice on a 99 R6. It was lower in power then most other 600s' but helped me learn: Later on the brake, earlier on the throttle!!!

ZiaThunder
Mon Sep 22nd, 2008, 10:32 AM
Don't do it Wes.

Use the money you would spend on converting your street bike and buy a prepped race bike. It will be cheaper in the long run and then if you should happen to wad it up on the track you will still have your street bike and then you aren't makin payments on a bike that is wrecked.

Ninja Nate
Mon Sep 22nd, 2008, 11:37 AM
Don't do it Wes.

Use the money you would spend on converting your street bike and buy a prepped race bike. It will be cheaper in the long run and then if you should happen to wad it up on the track you will still have your street bike and then you aren't makin payments on a bike that is wrecked.

Take his advice, I've done exactly that on 2 bikes...

They were streetbikes, then wadded them up on the track. Now they are track bikes, but I still dont have a street ride :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Aracheon
Mon Sep 22nd, 2008, 12:47 PM
Oh yeah - and to reiterate what Casey and Scott already said - converting a street bike to track prep is EXPENSIVE.

konichd
Mon Sep 22nd, 2008, 12:51 PM
I converted my ZX10R to a track bike for less than $1,000 and its MRA legal.

dragos13
Mon Sep 22nd, 2008, 12:52 PM
I converted my ZX10R to a track bike for less than $1,000 and its MRA legal.

How did you do that? No suspension upgrades? Bare minimum or what?

konichd
Mon Sep 22nd, 2008, 12:56 PM
No I updated the suspension and a lot of other things, but you can get a street bike coverted to a MRA legal bike cost-effectively if money is an issue. Bodywork can be had anywhere from 300 on up, case covers 250 up, MRA has a tech guide to do all the saftey wiring. My bike came with a Ohlins damper.

To be competitve its going to take a bit of $$$ to covert a streetbike into a competitive racebike. However if money is an issue and he wants to see if racing is for him, there is no reason $1,000 bucks can't get him a ticket to the show. :)

rybo
Mon Sep 22nd, 2008, 01:11 PM
DK,

Does your bike have reinforced case covers?

That's worth another $400 if not, and would be required for MRA tech.

Other than that I don't disagree with you, but the cost of downing a bike that he has a loan on would be far greater than buying a well prepped 99-02 R6. These bikes are stable in their market value and can easily be re-sold should he decide it's not for him.

my .02

s

No I updated the suspension and a lot of other things, but you can get a street bike coverted to a MRA legal bike cost-effectively if money is an issue. Bodywork can be had anywhere from 300 on up, case covers 250 up, MRA has a tech guide to do all the saftey wiring. My bike came with a Ohlins damper.

To be competitve its going to take a bit of $$$ to covert a streetbike into a competitive racebike. However if money is an issue and he wants to see if racing is for him, there is no reason $1,000 bucks can't get him a ticket to the show. :)

konichd
Mon Sep 22nd, 2008, 01:16 PM
^^Yes it has woodcrafts on both sides.

I'm not saying you guys are wrong, but rather trying to be sensitive to his economic situation. What if he doesn't have 3K+ lying around? What if he does one race and says its not for him? He'll have a lot of more money tied up. Also who says he has a loan out on his 1K? :dunno:

But what if he converts his street bike to a race bike, races and finds out he really wants to pursue it more? Sell the bodywork and you've lost little money "giving it a try" than spending an initial 3K+. On the opposite hand you spend 3K+ find out racing isn't for you and now your trying to sell a race bike when more than likely people have found thier's for the season.

So covert your street bike to a race bike = $1,000
Buy a 600 = $4,500 (using Ray-Rays as an example)
Thats a difference of 3500 bucks right there. Also, does this guy know how much he's going to spend on entry fee's, canopy, tire warmers,etc.? That might eek away at his budget that he didn't plan on.

Filo
Mon Sep 22nd, 2008, 01:38 PM
Both DK and Rybo are wrong. :)

Don't prep your 1K at all. Give me the money you were going to spend prepping it (I have found it to be at least $2K, but it has been a long time since I have prepped one from scratch). I will come over to your house with a big TV and a fan. We will set up in your garage. You can watch first-person race coverage from what ever race you want. The fan will simulate speed by blowing wind past you. When the rider you are riding crashes, I will push you off your bike. I will throw pebbles and hot rubber at you from time to time. I will even spray hot oil on you (but only if you are a hot chick).

The one thing that will surprise you the most about racing a 1K is how many tires you go through and how much they cost. I always raced/rode 600s on the track.

Tipys
Mon Sep 22nd, 2008, 05:44 PM
Ya I looking at about 1.5k to prep my 600.

Plastics
Rearsets
Case covers
Sablzer

racedk6
Mon Sep 22nd, 2008, 08:16 PM
The one thing that will surprise you the most about racing a 1K is how many tires you go through and how much they cost. I always raced/rode 600s on the track.

This is true but also remember you are not running 7 classes a weekend either, as a novice there are 4 classes you can run, barring your times let your run sportsman.

The GECCO
Tue Sep 23rd, 2008, 09:45 AM
This is true but also remember you are not running 7 classes a weekend either, as a novice there are 4 classes you can run, barring your times let your run sportsman.

This doesn't negate the fact that litre bikes eat tires. How often you actually replace tires varies WIDELY based on the speed and skill level of the rider, but you will get more tire life from a 600 across the board.

I'm a huge proponent of racers starting on 600's, or even SV650's. In the long run you'll be a MUCH better rider, and beating litre bikes on a 600 is LOTS of fun!

Aracheon
Tue Sep 23rd, 2008, 09:57 AM
This doesn't negate the fact that litre bikes eat tires. How often you actually replace tires varies WIDELY based on the speed and skill level of the rider, but you will get more tire life from a 600 across the board.

I'm a huge proponent of racers starting on 600's, or even SV650's. In the long run you'll be a MUCH better rider, and beating litre bikes on a 600 is LOTS of fun!

+1

dragos13
Tue Sep 23rd, 2008, 10:00 AM
Good point Glenn. Also, take a look at the top finishers in Novice GTO (the liter bike class). 4 out of 5 are usually on 600cc bikes.

UglyDogRacing
Tue Sep 23rd, 2008, 10:34 AM
In the long run you'll be a MUCH better rider, and beating litre bikes on a 600 is LOTS of fun!

I got my ass kicked my first 3 seasons on a 1000 by riders on 600's. http://smiliesftw.com/x/wtcwerd.gif

newyork1
Tue Sep 23rd, 2008, 12:57 PM
Thank you all for your responses. I do many track days on my street 1k now and I'm running mid 140s lap times not really pushing it (because it is my only bike). I can drop 1500 into it and take all my street shit off vs. spending 4500 on a race bike. Racing is a passion of mine and I need to get out there competitively.
Wes

mra828
Tue Sep 23rd, 2008, 01:59 PM
Thank you all for your responses. I do many track days on my street 1k now and I'm running mid 140s lap times not really pushing it (because it is my only bike). I can drop 1500 into it and take all my street shit off vs. spending 4500 on a race bike. Racing is a passion of mine and I need to get out there competitively.
Wes

What year is your current bike?

I ask b/c unless your bike is a clapped out pile of a 98 R1, you can't compare $1500 to (marginally) prep your bike with buying a used bike.

If you have a 2006 GSX-R1000 (as an example) in good shape your math should look more like this:

Your bike
Bike $7500
Prep $1500
-----------
Cost $9000

Race Bike
Bike $4500 (note: This is high... $3500 should be plenty)
Prep $0
-----------
Cost $4500

You can reduce the $9k a bit by selling off the street stuff, but you're still in for $7.5k - and have a crappy suspension to deal with.

Since 2001 I've essentially thrown 2 bikes in the dumpster after wrecking them. Which one would you rather throw away?

If racing is your passion - but you're not prepared to throw $20k at racing next year - then sell your streebike, buy a small, prepped racebike and see where it takes you. You'll start out the season $3k ahead - which should roughly cover your tire bill for the season (on a 600, you might get tires and entries with that $3k if you get an SV650).

Any way you go - you'll have fun, but don't make the mistake of thinking that adding $1500 to your existing bike is somehow cheaper than buying a prepped racebike. It isn't.

newyork1
Tue Sep 23rd, 2008, 09:17 PM
Your right about all that. Ive got an 07 gsxr 1k. I mathed out a bunch of shit and it came to about 3900. Thats pushin it too with some decent shit. I could minus some stuff and still have a decent race bike!

2Blue
Wed Sep 24th, 2008, 09:57 PM
I'll put in my 2 cents. I had the same questions that you currently have and I decided to race my street bike(07 R1). I bought e-racing fairing $350(still don't have any paint on them), $300 woodcraft covers, $400 frame,clutch, axle sliders. I raced the first 3 races with this setup and used street tires, Michelin Pilot Power 2ct's. I also rented a transponder until I finally got a deal on a used one. Other than sprockets, braided brake lines and ebc pads my bike is stock. After the first 3 races I decided to start using Michelin race tires and finally bought tires warmers. What everyone has said about not being able to race as much as the 600's is a down side to having the liter bike. But really, it's not that bad, 2 on Saturday and 1 on Sunday. It just depends how much you want to spend each weekend. Oh yeah and the guys on the 600's are extremely fast!!! As far as skill level on a 600 vs 1K, I can't complement on that. I never been on a 600. My previous bike was an 03 Fatboy. I just know that I need a slow right hand for this bike. The bottom line is that I'm glad I made the decision to get out on the track and race. Sometimes you have to go with what you got and see what happens! Oh....if you do decide to pull the trigger and race, GO MICHELIN!!!!!!

Let me know if you have any questions.
The MRA is awesome!

tl1000riders
Sun Sep 28th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Try a Trackday with the CSC guys.... It's not very expensive. Bike prep isn't much... Usually the same guys that are racing, ride on the trackdays. (practice of course) I did a trackday with CSC members and I had my ass handed to me by numerous people on 600's. ( I ran my tl 1000s in Pueblo) It was fun and it gives you an idea of how competitive you have to be to run with them... Just my opinion.... Looking forward to another Trackday next year with my new bike....:)

MRA 32
Wed Oct 1st, 2008, 12:02 AM
Racing is like marriage; its a big commitement that takes every penny you got. You have not figured in all your costs yet: tire warmers, lodging, transportation (do you have a trailer or a truck), race fuel, repair money, entry fees, leathers, back protector, helmet (that meets current tech standards), and a generator. Prepping the bike is only a start; hop on that bike on cold tires at 8:00 am and dive into turn one and then tell me if you want tire warmers! If you love racing get a lightwieght and learn without horsepower, because if you can't go fast on a slow bike; you can't go fast on a fast bike. 600's and 1000's eat tires (you will eat more tires on a 600 because you can race in alot more classes). When I did the racing certification class I asked the rider reps what to start on, and they all said a lightwieght and I did that. I am a much better racer because of that advise.

My 2 cents

Do what you want, your going to anyways

Jeff

racedk6
Wed Oct 1st, 2008, 10:12 PM
Last race I did cost me just over $300 for 3 races, tires.

The expense of getting all the shit you need is what gets alot of people.

Once you get setup with everything you need you can go about racing in a cheapish fashion.

ZiaThunder
Thu Oct 2nd, 2008, 07:53 PM
Last race I did cost me just over $300 for 3 races, tires.

The expense of getting all the shit you need is what gets alot of people.

Once you get setup with everything you need you can go about racing in a cheapish fashion.

Even once you get set up. There is nothing cheap about this sport.

My last race weekend cost me ~ $250 which isn't too bad.... that is until you figure in the cost of repairing the bike after going down in one of the races. Then it was just over $1400. I'm thinkin I got off kind easy with this one. The one before this ended up costing me almost $3000

jimwallace
Thu Oct 2nd, 2008, 08:30 PM
also i havent heard anyone point out that there are good deals to be found. i bought my race bike for 1600 bucks fully prepped and ready. (albeit a bit on the ugly side, but who gives a sheite). So for 1600 bucks i have a race bike that i didnt have to put any money or work into (when i got it anyway, after the last trackday though....hahaha) and i still have a street bike. would you rather an additional bike to play with or dump money into the one you have? just my .02

Aracheon
Thu Oct 2nd, 2008, 10:16 PM
also i havent heard anyone point out that there are good deals to be found. i bought my race bike for 1600 bucks fully prepped and ready. (albeit a bit on the ugly side, but who gives a sheite). So for 1600 bucks i have a race bike that i didnt have to put any money or work into (when i got it anyway, after the last trackday though....hahaha) and i still have a street bike. would you rather an additional bike to play with or dump money into the one you have? just my .02

To build on that idea, that's why I never race prepped my 600RR (though it would have been one competitive f'ing bike in GTU.) If I ended up tossing a race bike, I'd still have something to ride on the street.