PDA

View Full Version : Velocity University suspension training - Update 7/20

yakuza
Thu Jun 5th, 2003, 12:49 AM
Updated 7/29
Update: I'm sorry to report that Scott Harter, founder of Velocity University, is no longer with us. If you want the details they can be found here:
http://www.gixxer.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB20&Number=570236&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

I hadn't worked on this lately, but it had been something I was hoping to put together towards the end of the race season when both the participants and instructors would have more time. I believe the idea is still sound, so perhaps we'll be able to come across another way to put together a suspension training class such as this.

- End Update.

I was reading around on another forum and ran across some positive comments from students of a class provided by Velocity University (http://www.velocityuniversity.com), and Max McAllister from Traxxion was an instructor for at least one of them. So I looked at their website, but haven't done a much further research beyond the positive comments from a couple of students.

The class I read about was a 1 day session for $90 that taught a lot about general setup and tuning of suspension. While I'm not sure to what detail these topics are covered, from the students feedback it sounded like a great deal. Here's the thread I was reading:
http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?threadid=21554

On the Velocity University website (and within the above post) the organizer is accepting requests for seminars in different areas. I've read numerous posts about suspension setup, and I know some of you took advantage of having Mike Fitzgerald look at your suspensions at the PPIR trackday. How many of you would be interested in attending a class like this?

Suspension is a subject that has been on my mind for a long time. I think it would be a good idea to first seek out more feedback about the classes (I plan to poke around Google tomorrow), but if there are a number of us that are interested I think we should start emailing them and ask for a seminar in our area. I read that they limit class size to 25 people, and I'm sure we could fill a class with members from here and MRA racers...

Thoughts?

Hoopty
Thu Jun 5th, 2003, 07:23 AM
I'd be interested in a suspension class. :up:

Bryce
Thu Jun 5th, 2003, 08:02 AM
Alex I think it would be reasonably easy to get 25 riders to go for it

Big-J
Thu Jun 5th, 2003, 09:19 AM
Hell yea, Im down! :up:

surfinspacegirl
Thu Jun 5th, 2003, 09:24 AM
I'm in.

Ytry2
Thu Jun 5th, 2003, 10:11 AM
I was reading around on another forum and ran across some positive comments from students of a class provided by Velocity University (http://www.velocityuniversity.com), and Max McAllister from Traxxion was an instructor for at least one of them. So I looked at their website, but haven't done a much further research beyond the positive comments from a couple of students.

The class I read about was a 1 day session for $90 that taught a lot about general setup and tuning of suspension. While I'm not sure to what detail these topics are covered, from the students feedback it sounded like a great deal. Here's the thread I was reading:
http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?threadid=21554

On the Velocity University website (and within the above post) the organizer is accepting requests for seminars in different areas. I've read numerous posts about suspension setup, and I know some of you took advantage of having Mike Fitzgerald look at your suspensions at the PPIR trackday. How many of you would be interested in attending a class like this?

Suspension is a subject that has been on my mind for a long time. I think it would be a good idea to first seek out more feedback about the classes (I plan to poke around Google tomorrow), but if there are a number of us that are interested I think we should start emailing them and ask for a seminar in our area. I read that they limit class size to 25 people, and I'm sure we could fill a class with members from here and MRA racers...

Thoughts?
from the school of hard knocks i have learned a large amount, but i am ALWAYS hungry for more, count me in!

Anonymous
Thu Jun 5th, 2003, 10:13 AM
I'm definitely down for a good suspension primer!

Polumbian
Thu Jun 5th, 2003, 11:35 AM
Yeah, I'd scrape up $90 for that.

yakuza
Thu Jun 5th, 2003, 07:37 PM
Alright, seems like good interest so far, and I bet more people would want to participate if we get something moving. I found a description of the class content on their website, and it sounds pretty good to me:

Suspension Tuning
Taught by Max McAllister, Founder of Traxxion Dynamics
Learn how to read what your suspension is doing on the track, so you can adjust it properly in the pits. Class is extremely informative. A “requirement” for successful racing at any level. Highly useful for street, novice and experts! Subjects include training on fork valving characteristics, spring rates, how different riding styles affect suspension settings and how/ why to adjust your suspension.

I'll go ahead and email the contact about the possibility of a class somewhere in the Denver area. Depending on their interest and availability, I may ask those of you that truly are interested to also email him to show the enthusiasm for such an event. :) I'll post the reply when I hear back...

DucBloke
Thu Jun 5th, 2003, 08:45 PM
I'm in!

yakuza
Tue Jun 10th, 2003, 08:47 PM
Alright, I heard back from Scott at http://www.velocityuniversity.com and here's what he had to say.

Hi Alex,

The requirements are : minimum of 25 students, cost is $90.00 per student.
If you organize the class, you will not have to pay tuition. I would need a
couple different choices in dates, preferably a saturday. Once we have 25
students committed verbally, agree on a date, then we need to find an
affordable hotel room or suitable location to hold the class in. Let me
know.

Scott

I've also been in contact with Max McAllister (the instructor) and he sounded enthusiastic about the class.

I'm obviously willing to organize this thing (woohoo, free school! :D ), but I need to get commitments and date suggestions from you all. He's wanting it on a Saturday, so I'm thinking mid-July as a first date suggestion, and then the Saturdays in August that aren't race weekends as alternates. I've asked him for blackout dates that won't work for him, so I'll update this thread as we get more info.

Also, any suggestions about where we could host this thing? It would be awesome to have a local parts supplier sponsor a location to hold the class....

Polumbian
Tue Jun 10th, 2003, 11:10 PM
Just about any Saturday works great for me.

As far as locations go, if nothing better comes up, I am now working for an apartment complex in Green Valley Ranch (by DIA, SCR) and we can always use the conference room and clubhouse. In fact, minus a bunch of folding chairs, we can use a vacant apartment for that matter. What the hell, no reason to rent a hotel room!!

DucBloke
Tue Jun 10th, 2003, 11:27 PM
Not Laguna Seca weekend please

justjohn
Wed Jun 18th, 2003, 06:32 PM
Im in...