PDA

View Full Version : Heated grips - where to attach the lead?

Spiderman
Mon Sep 22nd, 2008, 04:19 PM
I don't want to wire them directly to the battery in case I forget to turn them off, so I was thinking about wiring them into the headlights (since the headlights only come on once the engine is running)... any reason why I shouldn't? Or is there a better option?

TIA 8)

Nick_Ninja
Mon Sep 22nd, 2008, 04:35 PM
I don't want to wire them directly to the battery in case I forget to turn them off, so I was thinking about wiring them into the headlights (since the headlights only come on once the engine is running)... any reason why I shouldn't? Or is there a better option?

TIA 8)

I wired mine into the parking lamps.

PhL0aTeR
Mon Sep 22nd, 2008, 04:59 PM
if you are really worried about it, you can get a relay wiring kit for accessories like this one:

http://www.bikerperformance.com/kuryakyn-universal-wiring-and-relay-kit-p744.html

It comes with everything you need. you can turn the accessory on and off while the bike is running via the thumb switch and it powers off with the ignition.

you can probably piece everything together yourself to make that kit if you knew what all was in it, for less than the cost of it.

Bashed
Mon Sep 22nd, 2008, 05:20 PM
I wired mine into the main power switched lead with a fuse.
IE the wire that goes hot out of the kill switch.
Pretty simple, I solder the connection for added security.
Don't forget the fuse. Piece of cake, chocolot cake I prefer.
Peace Bash

rforsythe
Mon Sep 22nd, 2008, 07:58 PM
I like the relay solution best personally. That way you aren't adding any appreciable electric load to other areas that weren't really designed for it, and your accessories are isolated from the rest of the bike.

Spiderman
Tue Sep 23rd, 2008, 07:46 AM
you can turn the accessory on and off while the bike is running via the thumb switch and it powers off with the ignition.
It already comes with an Off/Low/High switch - I was just looking for suggestions where to wire it to.

Pretty simple, I solder the connection for added security.
I like this idea... now just gotta figure out what the draw is off these suckers so I can get the right size fuse. :siesta:

Thanks everybody! 8)

Bashed
Tue Sep 23rd, 2008, 12:21 PM
Spidey,
Here is a link to some install instructions.
Do not look @ them till you burn up at least 3 fuses.
We are guys after all.

http://www.hotgrips.com/pdfs/moto-inst.pdf

A 5 amp fuse will work as these grips draw 3
on the high setting.

peace Bash

Spiderman
Tue Sep 23rd, 2008, 12:30 PM
I know how to do an in-line fuse - did one for my amp years ago.

The heated grips I picked up don't have any specs, just instructions (which, as it turns out, were written for installation on a snowmobile), and no mention of amperage.

Sortarican
Tue Sep 23rd, 2008, 02:13 PM
Do not look @ them till you burn up at least 3 fuses.

To make riding more interesting, I suggest using these:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9b/22_Long%2C_22_LR%2C_22_Winchester_Magnum.JPG (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9b/22_Long%2C_22_LR%2C_22_Winchester_Magnum.JPG)

Spiderman
Thu Sep 25th, 2008, 08:24 AM
:oops: I misread this:

... for some reason, I had it in my brain that I should be wiring it to the starter lead! That didn't work out so well... when I put the grip heaters on hi, there was a hi-pitched whining noise, and there were only about 6 volts going into the unit.

Then I realized that the headlights weren't really an option (for me), because I switch between low & hi beam (ride with low when it's dark, then switch to hi-beam at sunrise, particularly when I'm heading west), so I would've had to pick one and stop switching...

I wired mine into the parking lamps.
Thanks for suggesting that - that's what I ended up going with. 8)