PDA

View Full Version : Fairplay speeding ticket (105 in a 65) update

Clovis
Tue Sep 23rd, 2008, 10:45 AM

PhL0aTeR
Tue Sep 23rd, 2008, 11:02 AM
good luck man..... penalties sound pretty harsh, "what if" you get found guilty at trial? do you get screwed with all the stuff they were gonna drop if you pled guilty?

Nick_Ninja
Tue Sep 23rd, 2008, 11:04 AM
It won't go to trial. They will find a plea bargain in there somewhere. Way to hold your ground. :up:

Clovis
Tue Sep 23rd, 2008, 11:30 AM

Mental
Tue Sep 23rd, 2008, 11:37 AM
...On another note, I just found out that I'm getting laid off from Wachovia Mortgage tomorrow but my boss said the severence package will probably be pretty good; he's also getting laid off tomorrow.

-Clovis
That sucks dude. I know its the 2nd time, and you mentioned before you were expecting this, but it still sucks.

y_merkle
Tue Sep 23rd, 2008, 12:00 PM
Best of luck

Nick_Ninja
Tue Sep 23rd, 2008, 12:11 PM
Sounds quite possibly it's time for a career change. Fight the ticket --- win ---- get a new job ------ and buy a lotto ticket.

Squisha
Tue Sep 23rd, 2008, 12:21 PM
Man, whose dog did you kick to get that kind of karma?? Best of luck to you, for sure...those are both tough things to deal with!

MetaLord 9
Tue Sep 23rd, 2008, 12:38 PM
Fight the ticket, win, become a defense attourney. Sounds like your calling is pretty much laid out in front of ya!

Seriously tho, sorry to hear the bad news, man. You've really had your spell of it. I hope things turn around for you, starting with this ticket.

ihavealegohead
Tue Sep 23rd, 2008, 12:40 PM
++ someone stole your R1 !?!! I guess your not going to ride for awhile?

Brat
Tue Sep 23rd, 2008, 01:44 PM
shit justin. good luck with that. usually itll plea down. unless theyre really really hicks then who knows. im guessing 6pts hefty fine.

Sortarican
Tue Sep 23rd, 2008, 01:50 PM
Fight the ticket, win, become a defense attourney.....

What the hell is an attourney?
Lance Armstrong's lawyer?
A cruise appointed legal representative?
Someone that gives tours at the Supreme Court?
(Of course now I can't mispell anything for the next year.)

MetaLord 9
Tue Sep 23rd, 2008, 02:02 PM
What the hell is an attourney?
Lance Armstrong's lawyer?
A cruise appointed legal representative?
Someone that gives tours at the Supreme Court?

D.) All the above

(Of course now I can't mispell anything for the next year.)
^^ YEP! :D

(and, technically, it's the Brittish spelling!)

Sortarican
Tue Sep 23rd, 2008, 02:04 PM

Shure it ese.

MetaLord 9
Tue Sep 23rd, 2008, 02:16 PM
troo 'nuff! Now oive got a get back tao me bizness owf sell'n flats to let!

Clovis
Wed Sep 24th, 2008, 05:59 PM

Mental
Wed Sep 24th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Now that is Syncronicity. You've always wanted to be Trooper, lost a bunch of weight and finished the degree. I sincerly hope this all works out for the best.

Nick_Ninja
Wed Sep 24th, 2008, 09:58 PM
I thought I'd never say this but ............................ Justin, if you become a Trooper I will still ride with you. But you would be the only Trooper I'd ride with.

King Nothing
Wed Sep 24th, 2008, 10:14 PM
I thought I'd never say this but ............................ Justin, if you become a Trooper I will still ride with you. But you would be the only Trooper I'd ride with.What if I get a Dispatch position with CSP?

Tipys
Wed Sep 24th, 2008, 10:23 PM
He already said he was only gonna ride with one trooper

SLVRSURFR
Wed Sep 24th, 2008, 11:58 PM
So on Tuesday I made the two hour drive to Fairplay, CO to make my arranment with the Park County Court system.

The court was small compared to Colorado Springs, with roughly a dozen defendents in there for a variety of offences.

Oddly enough one guy was there for speeding 104 in a 65 on the same stretch of road.

Their method is a tad different - the judge calls you up, you either plead guilty, not guilty or request to speak with the D.A. - The guy who was going 104 immediately plead guilty which supprised me and at the Judge's recommendation ended up speaking with the DA.

The DA offered to dismiss the additional charges which were tacked on if he plead guilty to the speeding of 104 and took the 6 points with a $200 fine. (39 over = 6 points, 40 or more, 12 points... so I got it by 1 mph, great). The DA also pushed for "a few weekends of jail time" however the defendent argued that was excessive for speeding, lucky for him the judge agreed.

Another guy was there for harrassment and when he wanted to speak with the DA (this was at the front of the court, infront of everyone there) he looked like one of those old hells angel's harley bikers - he asked the DA to give his side of the story and when I heard the DA respond with "I don't need to hear your side of the story, I have the police report which tells me everything that happened" I thought to myself "oh great, I'm doomed with this guy... because police reports are always 100% accurate..." - His case was set for jury trial at a later date.

When I was finally called up, last the DA offered to dismiss the Careless driving and Reckless endandgerment charges but wanted me to plead guilty to the speeding, take 12 points, lose my lisencse and spend "a few days" in the county jail, I started to tell him that I wasn't going 105, that the bike was incapable of that speed due to the weight of 2 riders, gear and 10,000 altitutde, ect. The DA's response was "The officer scientifically proved you were going 105" (apparnetly by simply writing it down) and that I was trying to "catch up to the rest rest of the group" when I was infact being passed. Basically our conversation lasted for about 20 seconds and Mr. Sulivan (The DA) just came off as jaded lawyer, perhaps not happy with his current assignment?

I polietly refused his "deal" and requested a continience for a future date so I can obtain a lawyer. I also contacted his office and they were actually very friendly and are mailing me the discovery package for $5.00, hopefully I'll recieve it by the end of this week.

Honestly though, I'm hesitate to spend the $1200 - $3000 for a lawyer, for one we really do not have the money avaliable and secondly I don't think they (the DA) could prove me guilty beyond a reasonable doubt in a jury trial.

We'll see what happens from here.

-Clovis

I was very lucky myself to retain my license just recently... Good luck and appreciate the follow up info

Nick_Ninja
Thu Sep 25th, 2008, 07:29 AM
What if I get a Dispatch position with CSP?

No. But maybe.

Spiderman
Thu Sep 25th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Everything works out in the end... 8)

Nick_Ninja
Thu Sep 25th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Everything works out in the end... 8)

................ but it hasn't worked out ......... so..............

Spiderman
Thu Sep 25th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Well, then I guess it isn't the end... yet, but it's starting to look like things will work out.

thatmofo
Sun Sep 28th, 2008, 10:32 PM
When I was finally called up, last the DA offered to dismiss the Careless driving and Reckless endandgerment charges but wanted me to plead guilty to the speeding, take 12 points, lose my lisencse and spend "a few days" in the county jail, I started to tell him that I wasn't going 105, that the bike was incapable of that speed due to the weight of 2 riders, gear and 10,000 altitutde, ect. The DA's response was "The officer scientifically proved you were going 105" (apparnetly by simply writing it down) and that I was trying to "catch up to the rest rest of the group" when I was infact being passed. Basically our conversation lasted for about 20 seconds and Mr. Sulivan (The DA) just came off as jaded lawyer, perhaps not happy with his current assignment?

I polietly refused his "deal" and requested a continience for a future date so I can obtain a lawyer. I also contacted his office and they were actually very friendly and are mailing me the discovery package for $5.00, hopefully I'll recieve it by the end of this week.

Honestly though, I'm hesitate to spend the $1200 - $3000 for a lawyer, for one we really do not have the money avaliable and secondly I don't think they (the DA) could prove me guilty beyond a reasonable doubt in a jury trial.

We'll see what happens from here.

-Clovis

Geez. I didn't realize how bad the cops were out there. Luckily I didn't get nabbed this weekend up there. I was doing 105+ and within a mile of letting off a trooper had someone pulled over. AFTER that is when the people riding with me told me that cops are always around there. Thanks a frickin lot.

Anyways, that's crazy how the guy before you got off that easy. I paid more than that earlier this month for going less than 30 over the limit. Regardless, keep us posted on the trial. I am interested in seeing what happens because I'll probably have to get a lawyer for my next ticket.

King Nothing
Sun Sep 28th, 2008, 11:04 PM
It's always a good idea to ride 150+ on public roads. Donor.

thatmofo
Sun Sep 28th, 2008, 11:43 PM
My bad, it was only 105+.

Not sure how the fines are in Park County, but here is the breakdown of the fees you pay on a speeding ticket in El Paso County:

Victim's Assistance Fund
Family Friendly Surcharge
Court Security Cash Fund
Traumatic Brain Injury Tr

Cat118!
Mon Sep 29th, 2008, 12:02 AM
troy got a speeding ticket there.... it did not go to well.

Good luck they are really serious about speeders...think its the countys main source of income...but good luck

DavidofColorado
Mon Sep 29th, 2008, 05:33 AM
Tag for later.

Mac020
Mon Sep 29th, 2008, 07:07 AM
Man what a bunch of bad luck. I hope things get better for you! This too shall pass!

KakashiFZ6
Mon Sep 29th, 2008, 10:00 AM
sry to hear about that man i wish you the best of luck in geting out of your ticket

Dogsbody
Mon Sep 29th, 2008, 01:15 PM

Ahem, British has only one "t'....

Signed, Dogsbody, an expat from Blighty since '73...

MetaLord 9
Mon Sep 29th, 2008, 01:56 PM
nice contribution