PDA

View Full Version : Typical costs?

TheStig
Wed Sep 24th, 2008, 12:44 PM
So this is probably a pretty open question but Im interested in getting into racing. I might convert my current 07 sv650 to a race bike. Those costs aside what costs can I expect each weekend? What is the MRA entry fee costs etc? Also what about tires etc. If this is a really dumb question I apologize, im not even sure where to start haha! I have raced in the scca before and its so different (besides the obvious fact those were cars).

dragos13
Wed Sep 24th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Here are some basics that I budget for

Race entry:
$120 first race
$40 second race
$20 each race after that
$50 endurance

Tires:
anywhere from $250-$350

Hotel:
$70 per night

Gas:
$80 round trip in the truck from denver to pueblo
$40 practice gas and generator

Food:
$50-$100 based on eating out or going grocery shopping

Maintanance:
$40 oil
$100 brake pads and fluid

Of course there is more stuff that pops up here and there but those are the basics. You can get away running cheap if you dont have to buy new tires, race gas, hotel stay, and run just a couple races. I would say expect $500-$1000 depending on how competitive you plan on being.

TheStig
Wed Sep 24th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Maybe a stupid question, but whats the generator for?

dragos13
Wed Sep 24th, 2008, 12:56 PM
You are going to need a generator to run your tire warmers. Basically, in order to go out on the grid ready to race on the first lap, you need your tires up to temp. Tire warmers do that by getting your rubber up to 175 degrees before even leaving your pits. This way you are running 100% right off the starting line.

rybo
Wed Sep 24th, 2008, 12:56 PM
So a lot depends on how much you want to race:

On the budget plan:

Race Endurance only on Saturday

Entry Fee = $60
Tires = $350 a set / 5 weekends = $70 a weekend
Gas to get there and back = ?
Gas for the bike = <$20
Lunch = $5.00

$200 a weekend in racing costs

The "more racing" plan

Race saturday only

Nov U
Nov O
LW Endurance

Entry fees - $200ish
tires 350 set/3 weekends = $116 per weekend
gas to get there = ?
gas for bike = $40 (practice/endurance/racing)
lunch $5

$361 per weekend

The most racing plan

Race both days

Nov U
Nov O
LW End
AM U
AM O

Entry fees = $280ish
Tires = 350 set / 2 weekends = $175
Gas to get there = ?
Gas for bike = $55 (practice/endurance/racing)
hotel = $50
Meals = $40

$600 a weekend

This is assuming you have all the other items you might want or need

-canopy
-generator
- tire warmers
- gas cans
- stands
- tools/spares
etc

now, that being said, I stand by my assertation in a previous thread that prepping your street bike to go racing isn't the most economical way to go and that you should look for a pre-raced bike to go racing with. There is at least one very nice SV available on the MRA board right now, and other bikes show up all the time that you can buy for a fraction of what it would cost to build them.

Hope to see you out there

TheStig
Wed Sep 24th, 2008, 12:59 PM
I think your right, I just have to justify the cost of purchasing another bike to the wife. Another issue I have is transport, I currently have no way to get a bike to the races. I have to consider that as well.

Got ya on the generator, didnt know it was that important to pregenerate the heat but I could see how it is.

rybo
Wed Sep 24th, 2008, 01:03 PM
I think your right, I just have to justify the cost of purchasing another bike to the wife. Another issue I have is transport, I currently have no way to get a bike to the races. I have to consider that as well.

Got ya on the generator, didnt know it was that important to pregenerate the heat but I could see how it is.

You CAN do it without warmers (especially in the summer when it's 100 outside), but you have to go pretty easy for the first lap, and it's hard to make up ground from there.

There are plenty of people bringing their bikes to the track on a $200 Harbor Freight trailer, but there are lots of supplies that are highly desireable if you're going racing that require a significant investment.

In the meantime trackdays are a great option to get started, and I know for a fact that getting fast depends a lot more on seat time than it does on which bike you decide to race.

s

Sortarican
Wed Sep 24th, 2008, 01:07 PM

Especially on race compound tires.
It takes more stress for them to heat up than standard DOT tires.
Also, they're more susceptible to heat cycling issues than DOT which are designed to go through a lot of heat cycles before turning into granite.

Have you MRA guys ever thought about sharing generators?
I can't imagine the amperage draw for tire warmers is so high that they really need a dedicated generator for one bike.

UglyDogRacing
Wed Sep 24th, 2008, 01:14 PM
I can't imagine the amperage draw for tire warmers is so high that they really need a dedicated generator for one bike.

1200-1500watts so depends on the size of the generator.

dirkterrell
Wed Sep 24th, 2008, 01:17 PM

You need ballpark 1 kilowatt per set of warmers.

Dirk

615HereICome
Wed Sep 24th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Also if you are racing an SV the tires wouldnt go that fast but if you wanted to save money, generally alot of the expert MRA guys only use tires once or twice so its a good idea to buy their take offs for between 50-100$ a set. Saves me a ton of money.. Just food for thought

TheStig
Wed Sep 24th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Id really like to try a couple of track days first, then do the MRA class. I just miss racing and would love to give motorcycle racing a try, its just getting started is expensive haha.

rybo
Wed Sep 24th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Id really like to try a couple of track days first, then do the MRA class. I just miss racing and would love to give motorcycle racing a try, its just getting started is expensive haha.

It's an expensive sport for sure, but it's the most fun thing I've ever done. (and I've done some pretty fun stuff!)

I'm going to try to set up a couple more trackdays this season at Pueblo. October 5th I'll be doing an event at PPIR, but I'm not offering any "new trackday rider" instruction at that event.

Welcome to the addiction!

s

TheStig
Wed Sep 24th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Let me know if you do I'd love to try it out!