PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting valves

HIX
Thu Jun 5th, 2003, 09:35 AM
I went to do the adjust the valves and the damn thing has two TDC marks on the timing rotor! Well the two TDC marks are opposite eachother and there is a "F" mark near one of them about an eight of the way around. In the manual it says to make sure that the "EX" "IN" on the two cam sprokets are facing each other. But when one of the TDC marks and the Cam sprockets line up the #1 cylinders valves are still under compression.
:wtf:

87 ZX750Rf1

Anonymous
Thu Jun 5th, 2003, 09:52 AM
One mark is TDC, one is BDC. I have no idea which is which, though the one with the 'F' by it is probably top...

Ytry2
Thu Jun 5th, 2003, 09:54 AM
One mark is TDC, one is BDC. I have no idea which is which, though the one with the 'F' by it is probably top...
BDC will be on the compression stroke going up. ;)
when adjusting the valves, you want the cam to be BDC, more then likely the EX and IN facing eachother does not mean being at TDC.
they may "face" each other on the cam sprokets at the 3 and 9 o'clock posistion..

Since these are overhead cames you can tell when the valves is closed when the tip of the lobe is 180 degrees above the valve.

HIX
Thu Jun 5th, 2003, 12:50 PM
So based on that I can adjust each valve as long as I can verify that the lobe is not pressing on the valve? The book has certain way to adjust when at TDC and I just wanted to verify that the valve clearances aren't "stepped"(due to the fact that whn at TDC it says to adjust all valves on the #1, the intake on #2, the ex on #3.... ect). If this is true I might just rip it all apart tonight, rebuild the carbs and adjust the valves and save the "Easy" stuff for the wrenching party

Ytry2
Fri Jun 6th, 2003, 09:05 AM
So based on that I can adjust each valve as long as I can verify that the lobe is not pressing on the valve? The book has certain way to adjust when at TDC and I just wanted to verify that the valve clearances aren't "stepped"(due to the fact that whn at TDC it says to adjust all valves on the #1, the intake on #2, the ex on #3.... ect). If this is true I might just rip it all apart tonight, rebuild the carbs and adjust the valves and save the "Easy" stuff for the wrenching party

There is a pattern yes....... like when the # 1 In take is at top dead center the #3 exhaust will be BDC *fully closed* but if you look at the cam *thank gawd they are Over head cams, you can tell that the lobe is either fully open or fully closed..

*humm wonder how i can make my dodge 360 over head cams ;) *