PDA

View Full Version : What about a Ducati?

Incredible
Thu Sep 25th, 2008, 10:55 PM
So, I'm still waiting on the insurance company, but I have been shopping. I'm really on the fence about the 09 bikes, but I'm in love with an 848. Does anyone on here ride, or has ridden in the past, a Duc?

Also, does anyone have experience with our west-side dealership?

billsmith7
Fri Sep 26th, 2008, 12:32 AM
You may want to talk with OldKneeDragger first. He has had quite an experience with Ducati....

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showpost.php?p=359102&postcount=5

rybo
Fri Sep 26th, 2008, 07:22 AM
I've owned a 748 since 2002 with minimal problems and now race a 1997 748, also reliable.

If you want a Ducati, you should get one. do they cost more? yup. Does it cost more to maintain them? yup. Are they reliable? Yup. Just like anything if you stay on top of the maintenance they are.

OKD had a bad experience with his 1098, and I think it sucks how Ducati treated him. That said they have agreed to cover his problems under warranty, albeit a bit late.

I really like my bikes and wouldn't change my choice. I won't trade the 748 for an R6, a CBR or a GSXR. Now, a new RSV4? Maybe....

OldKneeDragger
Fri Sep 26th, 2008, 08:49 AM
I bought the Ducati for lots of reasons and I knew it would be an expensive bike to maintain and ride. I never expected the problems that I have endured. I still have hopes that Ducati will come through with a reasonable settlement. Even yesterday they sent me an e-mail and indicated something was going to happen soon. Either way, I will make the whole story very public.

I expect my Ducati back sometime next week. I am waiting with great expectations and sincerely hope it puts the smile back on my face. If Ducati makes good on top of that then I will be a very strong Ducatist.

If you are serious about Ducati, make sure you stuff your wallet with lots of money, not only for the purchase but for the operational costs as well and go get it.

rapparee
Fri Sep 26th, 2008, 09:29 AM
If you want a Ducati, you should get one. +1

lovinCO
Fri Sep 26th, 2008, 09:32 AM
If you want a Ducati, you should get one. do they cost more? yup. Does it cost more to maintain them? yup.

+1

I currently have an 848 and haven't had any issues with it, it's been fun to ride on the street and the track. We also have a 999 and it's had a few problems, been in for service a few times. A friend of ours who owns a 1098S has had that bike into Ducati Omaha more than he's ridden it. He's having the worst-case Duc experience.

Ducatis are fun and something different, but they're fussier than Japanese bikes. Overall my experiences with them have been positive, FYI I get mine serviced at Boulder Motor Sports. Could be the 848 is a good choice for a duc, mine hasn't had any probs and don't think Diego's has either (Vehicle1). If you want something different go for it. :)

Devaclis
Fri Sep 26th, 2008, 09:40 AM
If you buy me a yellow 748 I will have your babies.

MetaLord 9
Fri Sep 26th, 2008, 09:50 AM
^^If you buy Dana a 748 I'll bring the camera.

y_merkle
Fri Sep 26th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Husband and I have a monster and it we've never had any trouble with it. It's a good bike but as Lovin Colo said it is a bit for touch than Jap Bikes. They seem to have a personality all to themselves. We've also never had any toruble with the local dealership both salesmen and service dept. Infact that are suppose to have one of the best Duc techs in the west.

Mental
Fri Sep 26th, 2008, 11:52 AM
If you want a Ducati, you should get one.

Replace Ducati with your brand of choice, and that sums it up right there. Despite our ability to rationlize motorcycle purchases, better mileage, better for the enviroment etc etc. They are a pursuit of passion and as someone said on this board a while back, within reason, get the one that makes your heart thump.

rybo
Fri Sep 26th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Replace Ducati with your brand of choice, and that sums it up right there.

Exactly what I was getting at :)

OldKneeDragger
Fri Sep 26th, 2008, 11:57 AM
A friend of ours who owns a 1098S has had that bike into Ducati Omaha more than he's ridden it. He's having the worst-case Duc experience.

Worse than mine? http://www.Ducati-Lies.com ... what kind of issues is he having?

cshereck
Fri Sep 26th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Luv my Duc!!! I have a 03 749 and I'm just shy of 18K miles and it has yet to see the shop for anything other than service...

Tipys
Fri Sep 26th, 2008, 09:40 PM
I myself want an 848 but in no way can afford one

lovinCO
Sat Sep 27th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Worse than mine? http://www.Ducati-Lies.com ... what kind of issues is he having?

I don't believe his problems were as bad as yours, and I think his are now fixed. The dealer continued to work on the issues and I believe they were warrantied. They just took a long time.

First he was having trouble with the fuel/air mix, and the dealer couldn't figure out what was causing it. Changed out cams, ECU, a bunch of other stuff....that was just after he bought it last winter and it took something like 3 months to work it out. It was eventually fixed.

After that small stuff, his new full Termi system had a header snap, stuff like that. The bike seems to be working well now and he's happy with it, but he was pretty stressed out at the beginning of the summer. He just wasn't getting to ride the bike because it kept breaking.

Sean
Sat Sep 27th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Just by reading the above posts and some people I have talked to; is it possible that the 748 and 848 are more on the reliable side while the bigger 999 and 1098 have some issues? Or could that be a gross overgeneralization? Just curious on your thoughts.

Incredible
Sat Sep 27th, 2008, 12:02 PM
I think that the test ride is going to be the ultimate determinant factor. I'm afraid of the 848 only having 600cc-Class horsepower. I'm afraid that I may end up on a liter-bike.

rybo
Sat Sep 27th, 2008, 12:11 PM
I think that the test ride is going to be the ultimate determinant factor. I'm afraid of the 848 only having 600cc-Class horsepower. I'm afraid that I may end up on a liter-bike.

Make no mistake, every 600 out there today has more horsepower than you need. I was going around Miller on a 600RR with a passenger on the back. It was a 210 lb novice racer from Utah. When we got off the bike he said " I would have never guessed a 600 was THAT fast "

Have no fear, plenty of power. You don't NEED a literbike. Question is, do you want one?

s

Tipys
Sat Sep 27th, 2008, 12:14 PM
He had a busa till someone pulled out in front of him.

rybo
Sat Sep 27th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Just by reading the above posts and some people I have talked to; is it possible that the 748 and 848 are more on the reliable side while the bigger 999 and 1098 have some issues? Or could that be a gross overgeneralization? Just curious on your thoughts.

I think part of the issue might be that the 1098 and the 999 lead the way in terms of release. Usually the smaller displacement bikes follow a year or so later. In the case of both the 749 and the 848 this was true.

This gives Ducati a chance to work out some of the bugs they experience with the bigger bikes before they let the little ones hit the market.

Another thing to consider is that with more displacement, more power etc there is an increase for the potential of problems. Simply more mass moving around inside the engine. In the case of the 1098, those pistons are freaking HUGE, and I would guess that it has an effect on the durability of the engine.

In the case of the 748/996 bikes, the only real difference between them was crank, cylinders and pistons. All the other bits were essentially the same, so you have something built to take liter power running around with a smaller displacement...probably some inherient durability built in that way.

Thoughts of a ducati owner...

Captain Obvious
Sat Sep 27th, 2008, 12:27 PM
My experience was with a 900ss years ago. Even though it wasn't the fastest, it handled great.

And Ducati's seem to have soul whereas the other makers seem to be a bit more reliable/less finikey (sp).

Sean
Sat Sep 27th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Make no mistake, every 600 out there today has more horsepower than you need. +1

I think part of the issue might be that the 1098 and the 999 lead the way in terms of release. Usually the smaller displacement bikes follow a year or so later. In the case of both the 749 and the 848 this was true. This gives Ducati a chance to work out some of the bugs they experience with the bigger bikes before they let the little ones hit the market.

so you have something built to take liter power running around with a smaller displacement...probably some inherient durability built in that way.
Good points, thanks! I didn't know it was mostly the same components.

peteremsley
Sat Sep 27th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Agreed, the smaller ducs have plenty power, and deliver it in a way that really makes them good fun in the canyons.

I have a 748, and they aren't without (potentially expensive) problems, though. Flaking rocker arms and charging systems (on the early ones) to name the most common two. I've never owned or done much research on the newer ones, but I hear they 749s are supposed to be quite reliable.

I've also owned a mid 90s supersport. If you're worried about maintenance costs, and are mechanically inclined, the 2valvers are a less expensive introduction to ducati ownership. You could get a nice 90s supersport in the $3-4k if you like them, and they run and run. Also a nice canyon bike.

Thoughts of another ducati owner...

peter.

asp_125
Sat Sep 27th, 2008, 08:23 PM
I had a two-valver 750 Sport. The ergos didn't fit me; I was basically laying on the tank to take the stress off my wrists. Nice canyon carver but not for any length of time, and I like to go on longer rides.

The air-cooled ones are pretty reliable, enough to run an iron butt on; as the previous owner of mine did.

The 848 is pretty nice, very flickable in transitions. I rode one at the Duc truck demo day; it almost could use a steering stabilizer though.

aLiEn
Mon Sep 29th, 2008, 05:18 PM
I ride a Ducati Hypermotard 1100S and absolutely love it! I actually like the way it handles over the R1's I used to ride. They are more expensive to maintain and definitely moody on pipe etc. upgrades. Dealerships want $125.00 for an oil change! It’s still going to cost you around $70.00 doing it yourself with Motul 300V oil. Furthermore, Ducati has minimized their valve adjustment intervals to 7,500 miles. The front brakes on the “S” are far superior, but can get you in trouble real quick on a heavy hand.

…but the sound, lol, priceless!!!!

Vehicle 1
Mon Sep 29th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Ducatis are fun and something different, but they're fussier than Japanese bikes.
That is exactly right.

Mine is actually having a small issue with the hose that connects the clutch master and its reservoir, it is too short and it mildly leaks; no big deal, warranty...

I love the thing but I do imagine that it will give me more issues than a Japanese bike would in the long run; I mean only a little quirk here and there.

If something tells you to get one, get it!

D.

Incredible
Mon Sep 29th, 2008, 11:07 PM
I am mechanically inclined, so I'm not scared of glitches. I just have to weigh out the cost-benefit ratio. Or, more to the point, the value-beauty ratio!

Why can't the Japanese do beautiful? I'd even settle for a copy of beautiful. They do that well (See: Toyota 2000GT).

Mental
Tue Sep 30th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Becuase unlike American and European builders, the Japanese philosphy is to build to suit a market. In this regard they are far superior to anyone. The see markets coming before anyone, SUVs for example. The only big one they missed was minivans, but once they got there, they were on it.

Before any car or motorcycle is built, they know exactly the demographic they want, how much horsepower the thing should have, how many doors and how radical the styling.

Europeans, and to a lesser degree, Americans build a vehicle and let the market come to it. When Ducatti introduced the Monster, there was no real market for nakeds. In fact the japenese has tried with the Kawasaki Zed and I forget the Honda model and were met with little sucess. Now they are doing it with the retro styled stuff like the Paul Smart editions.

A 1100 off road bike?!? No way, but BMW said yes, and those GS folks are a loyal bunch. Don't even get started on those big KTMs.

I'd venture the closest Japan has come would be the M109. That was built with no real market, just a chance for Suzuki to claim most powerful cruiser.