PDA

View Full Version : I think I saw the aftermath/cleanup of a wreck this morning

Spiderman
Wed Oct 1st, 2008, 07:46 AM
At 7:05, on the on-ramp to southbound I-25 from westbound I-70 - what a looked like a full-dressed Harley was on it's side and stuck under the back of a white SUV... I hope the rider is ok.

Ceez
Wed Oct 1st, 2008, 07:50 AM
Saw that too, white Escalade and Harley, hoping the rider is alright as well.

SupermotoMJ
Wed Oct 1st, 2008, 08:29 AM
heard it on the radio this mornging on my way to work

Sortarican
Wed Oct 1st, 2008, 08:39 AM
On the morning news they showed a arial shot of it.
The reported commented that the Denver police measured a 50' skid mark from the motorcycle and that the rider "must have been really moving".

If that's a correct report sounds like the rider was at fault.
Even if it was his fault I hope he and the cagers are all OK.

dirkterrell
Wed Oct 1st, 2008, 08:39 AM
Channel 31 news was saying that the word was that he had some pretty serious injuries. I hope he recovers.

Dirk

Spiderman
Wed Oct 1st, 2008, 08:51 AM
The reported commented that the Denver police measured a 50' skid mark from the motorcycle and that the rider "must have been really moving".
How do they determine that? It's my understanding that Harley riders typically only use the rear brake, even with the luggage, there's not THAT much weight on the rear (especially when inertia, weight balance, etc. get taken into consideration), so locking up the rear & skidding doesn't seem like an uncommon outcome in a panic situation. It was about 50 degrees out at that time, so road/tire temp comes into play too (tire will lock up easier & slide longer). Sure he was moving, but with those conditions, how fast was he going? The sun was just coming up too, so maybe that came into play somehow? :dunno:

Like I said, I hope the rider is ok, and (as I've said in the past), most acciddents could probably be avoided by the rider being more prudent, but to categorically make it sound like it's the rider's fault kinda irks me... at least this morning it does.

Sortarican
Wed Oct 1st, 2008, 09:03 AM
Agreed regarding the temp, weight of a cruiser, and braking technique, but looking at from the arial view it did look like a long slide before impact.
(Anyone recall if that's a steep downhill ramp?)

Hopefully that means he scrubbed enough speed to limit his injuries.
Though as Dirk posted they said he was taken to the hospital with serious injuries.

These cold mornings are tough on tire temps though. Everyone be careful out there.
Especially you daily commuter road warriors like Bob and Dana.

Spiderman
Wed Oct 1st, 2008, 09:14 AM
Where it happened, if anything, may have been a slight downhill grade, but it looked pretty close to level as I passed it.

I have to take extra care at the beginning of my commute... I'm still on race take-offs.

Sortarican
Wed Oct 1st, 2008, 09:18 AM
I have to take extra care at the beginning of my commute... I'm still on race take-offs.

Why stop there, I hear they make these tires for motorcycles now.
http://www.tam2.co.uk/wp-content/imagescaler/2deae10a701b1a84eda33fa578b59908.jpg

Ceez
Wed Oct 1st, 2008, 09:19 AM

+1

Spiderman
Wed Oct 1st, 2008, 09:19 AM
Why stop there, I hear they make these tires for motorcycles now.
http://www.tam2.co.uk/wp-content/imagescaler/2deae10a701b1a84eda33fa578b59908.jpg
I am running Bridgestones, so I'm not that far off, right? :lol:

dm_gsxr
Wed Oct 1st, 2008, 11:30 AM
These cold mornings are tough on tire temps though. Everyone be careful out there.
Especially you daily commuter road warriors like Bob and Dana.

I'm always extra careful in the mornings and take particular care in intersections where there are crosswalks. Watch out for the paint as it can be very slippery.

Carl

MetaLord 9
Wed Oct 1st, 2008, 11:46 AM
Saw it on the morning traffic report as well. I think there were two motorcycle crashes reported, but the 70/25 one is the only I can remember seeing an aerial shot of.

Spiderman
Wed Oct 1st, 2008, 11:57 AM
I think I saw a helicopter flying around downtown when I was still south of it.