PDA

View Full Version : IPOD Repair?

McVaaahhh
Wed Oct 1st, 2008, 09:02 AM
Anybody know how to repair an ipod, or would like to give it a shot?

I've got an 8gb (I believe 3rd gen) ipod nano that crapped out on me yesterday.

Was working fine in the car. When I stopped I unplugged it, locked it and stuck it in my pocket. When I unlocked it and plugged it back in it's a dead stick. Not seeing anything at all on the screen, nor am I hearing anything through the earbuds. :cry:

It's almost as though it's still locked.

Microcenter wants $120 to fix it, shit for that much I'll just buy a new one.

Anyway, if you'd like to give it a shot I guess I'd be willing to spend $40 or so. Maybe trade for some powdercoating work. :D

Thanks,
Brian

Nick_Ninja
Wed Oct 1st, 2008, 09:04 AM
It ain't worth it.

~Barn~
Wed Oct 1st, 2008, 09:06 AM
Have you done the master reset key combination on it yet?

Hold the center button, while also holding in the bottom "Play" button.
:dunno:

McVaaahhh
Wed Oct 1st, 2008, 09:09 AM
Have you done the master reset key combination on it yet?

Hold the center button, while also holding in the bottom "Play" button.
:dunno:

I'll try that...

Devaclis
Wed Oct 1st, 2008, 09:09 AM
Brian, bring it to me. I have fixed a few of them recently with good results :)

Dr. Joe Siphek
Wed Oct 1st, 2008, 09:13 AM
do you actually take them apart dana?

i have a 30gb 4th gen and I need a new battery put in mine. is that possible?

Devaclis
Wed Oct 1st, 2008, 09:14 AM
Yeah, I have the plastic tools and stuff to take apart the regular iPoods as well.

Foolds
Wed Oct 1st, 2008, 09:21 AM
I'll try that...

This has happened twice to me and this has fixed it both times.

Here is apples instructions, same as posted above

Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Slide it to Hold, then turn it off again.)
Press and hold the Menu and Center (Select) buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, about 6 to 8 seconds. You may need to repeat this step.

Tip: If you are having difficulty resetting your iPod, set it on a flat surface. Make sure the finger pressing the Select button is not touching any part of the click wheel. Also make sure that you are pressing the Menu button toward the outside of the click wheel, and not near the center.
If the above steps did not work, try connecting iPod to a power adapter and plug the power adapter into an electrical outlet, or connect iPod to your computer. Make sure the computer is turned on and isn't set to go to sleep.

Big-J
Wed Oct 1st, 2008, 09:27 AM
If you can't get it fixed, buy this (http://www.1saleaday.com/) one! Hell, buy two just in case one craps out on you again. Its a knock off, but for the price,funk it!

MetaLord 9
Wed Oct 1st, 2008, 09:32 AM
I've had to reset mine a number of times. If it doesn't work after that just buy a new one. they're not worth paying to fix & you can probby find a decent one on ebay for cheap if you don't mind getting one that's a gen behind

McVaaahhh
Wed Oct 1st, 2008, 09:37 AM
Brian, bring it to me. I have fixed a few of them recently with good results :)

If the reset doesn't work I'll give you a holler and you can give it a shot. :up:

Canuck
Wed Oct 1st, 2008, 10:26 AM
Batteries are replaceable. As Dana said it takes the right tools.
The master reset is probably the ticket to make it work again. There I also a reboot procedure via iTunes that would be the ticket if the reset doesn't work.
That's the only problem with the older portable non flash drives, too much vibration and abuse makes them vulnerable to freezing.

Devaclis
Wed Oct 1st, 2008, 10:30 AM
Actually, Barn got me a great iPOD toolkit for WinAmp that repaired about 6 of the things for me. Good stuff :)

~Barn~
Wed Oct 1st, 2008, 10:40 AM
Indeed. The Winamp iPod plugin (created by SourceForge), is a great "toolkit" as Dana put it.

If you're using iTunes to manage your pod, delete it from your computer, smack yourself for using it, and then download Winamp.

After that, click hither (http://mlipod.sourceforge.net/) and install. :yes:

McVaaahhh
Thu Oct 2nd, 2008, 08:13 AM
I tried the reset several times and plugged it into the computer a couple of times and somewhere along the way it turned on. :yay:

Thanks err'body! :up:

puckstr
Thu Oct 2nd, 2008, 08:29 AM
Don't trust it...
My old 20gb Ipod locks up all the freakin time. Master reset works but it is only a temp fix. I have also replaced the battery.

Ipods suck. I use my phone and and a bluetooth Motorola S705. Works great while riding and the S705 has a FM tuner built in.

I am curious how this setup will sound for a phone call while riding.

http://www.mobilised.com.au/images/stories/devices/moto_sound_bundle.jpg