PDA

View Full Version : FOG --> R6 to FZ1?

ihavealegohead
Wed Oct 1st, 2008, 11:59 AM
Well the insurance cheque is in, and now I'm thinking about what to get next.

I took an FZ1 out for a ride last week, but didn't really get to ring it out (not my bike). But I did like it. Not sure how it will perform in the mountains. Anyone care to comment? I don't ride that hard.. I think in three years I'v had my knee down 4 or 5 times. For the most part I'm conservative.

Not sure I'm done with the whole R6 thing yet. I really like the performance of the bike, running it through the mountains, and the acceleration. I really don't like the 300+ miles on my body when I ride it all day. In that respect I think the FZ1 is great.

Have you gone from 600 sport bike to an FZ1? Did you miss anything?

What other bikes might I look at ?

fullgrownbear
Wed Oct 1st, 2008, 12:03 PM
I have an 07' FZ1. Before that, I had owned two 600's.

I can't say a bad thing about the GenII fz1 (06 and newer).

The comfort, and ridability are amazing. The thing is a dream on the highway and a beast in the twisties. With the propper suspension setup, and a few mods - you're looking at a canyon carving machine. Even without the mod's you won't be disapointed.
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i139/jameseroni/DSCF0001.jpg

DanFZ1
Wed Oct 1st, 2008, 11:19 PM
I have an '03 (Gen 1). I lived in Gunn Barrel and worked at StorageTek. I rode Coal Creek Canyon and Trail Ridge Rd. and the like. If you are used to the R6 on a road as tight as Flagstaff Rd. the FZ1 will feel like a flying brick by comparison so think Highway 7 in St. Vrain Canyon or the peak to peak highway. They have that wide sweeper aspect to them that Golden Gate Canyon does not have.

Having said as much, my '03 has leg room. The r6 fits me like a pocket bike, as do most all sport bikes. I use my bike for everything except buying Groceries. Then Gen 1 has carbs instead of fuel injection so I always ran 85 octane in the Mts and never had a problem on trail ridge. The rear brake was either on or off with no in between when i first got it and the front end was too soft but the gear box is sweet and it screams from 5000 rpms to 10000 rpms.

For a hypersports touring bike, an FZ1 works well with soft sided Oxford type bags. As you can see by the picture in my signature.

I got 42 mpg in Boulder for two years in all kinds of riding.

If you want something that can ride two up and has a quarter fairing, a 1200 Bandit or a VFR 800 might work. It depends on how big your feet are and how tall you are.

ihavealegohead
Thu Oct 2nd, 2008, 08:34 AM
Dan, thanks that's a great write up. THANKS!! The 03 was 458 down to 439 for 2008 which is what I would like to find. They modified the dimensions a bit too, so that might help the feel a bit. The friend-of-a-friend whom let me ride his '08 was expressing his interested in adding more performance to the bike. He likes the ride position, but wanted more power above 60mph.

ihavealegohead
Thu Oct 2nd, 2008, 08:35 AM
I have an 07' FZ1. Before that, I had owned two 600's.

I can't say a bad thing about the GenII fz1 (06 and newer).

The comfort, and ridability are amazing. The thing is a dream on the highway and a beast in the twisties. With the propper suspension setup, and a few mods - you're looking at a canyon carving machine. Even without the mod's you won't be disapointed.

I didn't think you could modify the suspension? Is this something you can do or did you have to swap out some parts? I'm 6' 220, so I'd probably want to modify it a bit..

FZRguy
Thu Oct 2nd, 2008, 07:53 PM
If you’re considering a FZ1, you should check out a Speed Triple too. You can test ride one at Foothills.

Repsol a095
Thu Oct 2nd, 2008, 08:07 PM
Lego,

I am six feet 210 pounds, and I used to have an 01 FZ1. My wife and I rode the living crap out of that bike. We rode it two-up at Pueblo, and we rode it in just about every canyon around here. I cannot say enough positive things about this bike. Will it feel the same as the R6? No, but you can keep up with an R6 on the streets without a problem. The only change I made to the bike was heavier springs in the front and the rear.

The only reason I sold mine was because I fell in love with the FJR. I promise you that you will not be disappointed with an FZ.

However, I have heard horror stories about the 06 FZs, so make sure you stay away from these. I think the first year of the 2nd generation had too many kinks.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions.

DanFZ1
Thu Oct 2nd, 2008, 08:16 PM
If you’re considering a FZ1, you should check out a Speed Triple too. You can test ride one at Foothills.

According to all the magazines of the day (back when the speed nipple was new) it had a better chasis and motor than everything in its class except for the Aprilla Touno. Which would make sense since most "Standards" or "Naked" Street bikes take the wheels brakes and motors from the donor sportbikes while the the triple and the touno keep the chasis of the Daytona 955i and RSV but with different pegs, handle bars and fairings.

The triple also sounds excellent. Almost as good as a Ducati, but not quite.

MikeG
Thu Oct 2nd, 2008, 08:41 PM
I think you can do just fine in the canyons with an FZ1, just ask Christian Cowboy!

FZRguy
Thu Oct 2nd, 2008, 08:41 PM
Well, it is British. :lol: I’m thinking about the Street Triple for myself.

CHRISTIAN COWBOY
Fri Oct 3rd, 2008, 07:09 AM
love my FZ 1000 and was at one time considering trading it for an R-1.
Have no problems keeping up and prefer the upright riding position for all day riding.
But then again, I am older and my next bike will be a FJ sport touring bike.