PDA

View Full Version : Credit/Debit cards at the pump

DanFZ1
Wed Oct 1st, 2008, 10:54 PM
Admin Edit: This is an urban legend, from an email that's been circulating lately - see post #3 for more details.

I am forwarding this email as a public service announcement:

Using Credit/Debit cards at the pump

People are getting really desperate due to the constantly rising gasprices.

A friend just told me about something that happened to one of hisco-workers.

She used her credit/debit card to purchase gas at the pump (like mostof us do). She received her receipt like normal.
< /FONT>
However, when she checked her statement, there were 2 $50 charges
added in addition to her purchase. Upon investigation, she found out thatbecause she did not press the 'clear' button on the pump, the employeeinside the store was able to use her card to purchase his/her own gas!

To keep this from happening, after you get your receipt, you must
press the 'CLEAR' button or your information will be stored until the next
customer inserts their card.

Be sure to tell all your friends/family sothatthis doesn't happen to them!

(I had never noticed the clear button but I got gas the other day and
sure enough it is there. I will be using it from now on....)

thatmofo
Wed Oct 1st, 2008, 11:32 PM
Not sure if this applies to all banks, but mine told me never to my debit/credit card as a debit card at the pump because the card companies place an ~$50 charge on it to secure the transaction or something like that but it goes away once the charge is applied to the card.

Vance
Thu Oct 2nd, 2008, 07:02 AM
AAAAANNNNNNT!!!!!
Sorry Hans wrong guess!

Not true, not true, not true...
Check Snopes.com for anything like this before you believe / post it:

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/clear.asp

~Barn~
Thu Oct 2nd, 2008, 07:33 AM
Not sure if this applies to all banks, but mine told me never to my debit/credit card as a debit card at the pump because the card companies place an ~$50 charge on it to secure the transaction or something like that but it goes away once the charge is applied to the card.

Good call, but it's not a bank thing, it's more of a station thing. Some companies have systems that make using a debit card at the pump a P.O.P transaction. (read: The exact amount you buy, is charged immediately. Point Of Purchase.)
Example:
The Shell station on the S.E. corner of 104th and Colorado in Thornton.

Other stations, like you say, will place a particular dollar-amount authorization on a debit card transaction. The hold will show for about 3 or 4 days, before the actual dollar amount posts.
Examples:
Western Convenience on Bridge St. and 15th in Brighton = $1.00 hold.

Most Valero Stores = $ Amount of purchase $

Sam Hill Oil on Main St. and Jessup in Brighton = $200 hold.

Anyhow... It seems like most places these days tend to be POP locations, and they'll ask for a PIN if you choose debit. If you just get asked for a zip code, expect a hold equal to the amount of your gas purchase. :up:

puckstr
Thu Oct 2nd, 2008, 08:04 AM
AAAAANNNNNNT!!!!!
Sorry Hans wrong guess!

Not true, not true, not true...
Check Snopes.com for anything like this before you believe / post it:

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/clear.asp

That was going to be my guess. CC companies have strick compliance guidelines with any transaction.

Spiderman
Thu Oct 2nd, 2008, 08:08 AM
And why would this SUDDENLY become a problem when we've been paying with cc's at the pump for YEARS?!?

Nick_Ninja
Thu Oct 2nd, 2008, 08:11 AM
I use my debit card at Costco all the time ---------- without issue and additional charges. Urban Legend.

mclarke
Thu Oct 2nd, 2008, 12:46 PM
The question is why are you guys using debit cards and not rewards cards for gas? I earn 5% cash back on gas... decent discount if you ask me!

Spiderman
Thu Oct 2nd, 2008, 01:07 PM
Who are you talking to? :dunno: Nick Ninja's the only one who said he uses his debit card... I use my American Express for gas & get double air miles! 8)

MetaLord 9
Thu Oct 2nd, 2008, 01:14 PM
Nowadays, if you're not on some kind of rewards card, you're pretty much just pissing away money.

puckstr
Thu Oct 2nd, 2008, 01:45 PM
Who are you talking to? :dunno: Nick Ninja's the only one who said he uses his debit card... I use my American Express for gas & get double air miles! 8)

Bob you need to stay away from air miles. :)

Spiderman
Thu Oct 2nd, 2008, 01:48 PM
I only have problems when I'm the pilot. ;)

puckstr
Thu Oct 2nd, 2008, 02:00 PM
take off is phenomenal

landing is the suck

Spiderman
Thu Oct 2nd, 2008, 02:36 PM
Yes, must work on my landings...